Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Plebgate cop admits misconduct and to resign
  • cynic-al
    Free Member
    wwaswas

pillock.

(him, not you al)

scotroutes

I’m surprised he gets the option to resign rather than be sacked but perhaps it makes no difference?

project
    Free Member

And at 53 he is going to resign, will get his pension etc, not be sacked as would happen in the real world, for bringing his company into disrepute.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think realistically he has no option druid, he just avoids the embarrasment of a disciplinary.

edlong
    Free Member

I’m surprised he gets the option to resign rather than be sacked but perhaps it makes no difference?

It may well make a difference to his pension?

konabunny
    Free Member

So…a police officer was willing to lie to protect his buddies when they had a stupid spat about a gate? Makes you wonder what he would have been willing to do if his colleagues had done something serious…like shoot an unarmed man.

ninfan
    Free Member

IIRC, this is the one who has been charged with a criminal offence, so he can still lose his pension if found guilty

zippykona

This is certainly one person who needs the book throwing at.
    An absolute disgrace and needs locking up for a bloody long time.
    The politician should sue him back to the Stone Age. ****.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good riddance

binners

I thought it was the tradition to ‘take early retirement on the grounds of ill health’ when there was the remotest sniff of being held accountable for your behaviour? Then you get to keep your pension and perks?

So he still gets to keep those anyway, I presume, if he resigns? Its like a reward for being the fall guy, and taking the heat off everyone else? And this is what the Met regard as accountability is it?

In any job in the real world, he’s have been out of the door for gross misconduct 12 months ago, and told to go and whistle for his perks and pension!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In any job in the real world, he’s have been out of the door for gross misconduct 12 months ago, and told to go and whistle for his perks and pension!

Indeed. Something in the paper this morning about a copper who’d just been sent to jail for sex with a 14 year old. (Unpleasant texts sent by him as well, vile stuff). Apparently, West Mids police felt this needed to go to some sort of ‘special tribunal’ to decide if he should keep his job.

Er, no. Save the time and effort, cancel the tea and biccies all round. He’s been convicted of sexual offenses while a copper, and serving six years at Her Majesty’s pleasure. No need for a tribunal there.
    It’s here on the Beeb;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-25675628

MSP

IIRC, this is the one who has been charged with a criminal offence, so he can still lose his pension if found guilty

I am not so sure they can touch his pension after he has resigned. iirc any such punitive measures can only be enacted against serving officers.

I am also not sure that going after someone’s pension is the right thing to do anyway, if he has committed a crime, then punish him directly for that.

Also was it not that retirement for ill health basically boosted the pension, where as resignation would lock it as is. Retiring on health grounds when caught being naughty clearly was a dodgy practice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They take your pension in the private sector?

I doubt it.

edlong
    Free Member

They take your pension in the private sector?

I doubt it.

Not worth worrying about – most pensions in the private sector are worthless these days anyway.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You may have part of your pension forfeited either permanently or temporarily by the police authority if you are convicted of:

• an offence of treason;

• one or more offences under the Official Secrets Acts for which you have been
    sentenced on the same occasion to at least 10 years’ imprisonment; or

• an offence committed in connection with your police service which is certified by the
    Secretary of State either to have been gravely injurious to the interests of the State or to be liable to lead to a serious loss of confidence in the public service (e.g. conspiracy to pervert the course of justice).

A police authority may review a decision on forfeiture and restore some or all of the pension to the pensioner or someone receiving an award in respect of the pensioner.

From the Regs…serious loss of confidence etc., hard to argue that hasn’t happened.

bazzer
    Free Member

Can they really take his pension ? After all he has paid for it ???

Crazy situation though !!!

MSP

But do those regulations apply to no longer serving officers, I could be wrong, but I don’t think they do.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not sure to be honest, I couldn’t find the answer to that from my initial research googling.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO he has to pay an actual real world price for this and he should not be allowed to resign he should be sacked in disgrace as a minimum.

as for his pension – it depends on the police Terms and Conditions

I think the worrying thing is if they can go after him – and look at what they said after the actual meeting with him as well then what chance have little people got?
    Its also not great for the met as they all get tarred with the same brush

MSP

For his crime, IMO he should serve time, there should be an extra tarrif for doing so as a serving police officer (as there should be for many positions of power and authority).

thegreatape
    Free Member

This appears to be the most recent HO Circular on the subject. Annex A seems to imply that the first to reasons in my quote above can also apply to pensioners as well as serving officers, but talks about the third reason in terms of a member of a police force. Annex B, first para, then seems to me to imply that he could. Struggling to cut and paste on my iPad but they are very short docs, have a read.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

indeed, not. How many fraudsters inside the square mile have ever seen the inside of a cell, let alone the inside of a police interview room?

MSP

I don’t think the city of London qualifies as the real world.

binners

Depends if you regard the City as the real world Bravissimo? I can’t think of any other profession more insulated from day-to-day reality, as known to the rest of us. Apart from maybe politicians

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*looks out of window*

Looks pretty real to me. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Depends if you regard the City as the real world Bravissimo? I can’t think of any other profession more insulated from day-to-day reality, as known to the rest of us. Apart from maybe politicians

Both good points, well made.

Maybe not the real world, but certainly with an impact on those of us who have to exist in it. Anyway…bit of a digression. My apologies.

footflaps

In any job in the real world, he’s have been out of the door for gross misconduct 12 months ago, and have kept his pension told to go and whistle for his perks and pension!

FIFY

franksinatra

Something in the paper this morning about a copper who’d just been sent to jail for sex with a 14 year old. (Unpleasant texts sent by him as well, vile stuff). Apparently, West Mids police felt this needed to go to some sort of ‘special tribunal’ to decide if he should keep his job.

This amazes me even more than the plebgate thing. This guy gets custodial sentence and has to be on the sex offenders register for life. Why does a decision need to be made? I know they will argue that it is just process but it should just happen by default.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

From the BBC article:

PC Wallis’s actions had damaged public trust and confidence in the police and in the integrity of his officers, Sir Bernard added.

Wonder if they’re lining him up for a dig at the pension? Is he going to cop for Plebgate and the Duggan case too in terms of ‘public confidence’…

D0NK

Whilst not trying to defend this guy

he should not be allowed to resign he should be sacked in disgrace as a minimum.

did he resign before or after he admitted wrongdoing? If before what can you do? If a police bod is accused of something similar and resigns before getting to court what happens? Innocent until proven guilty so do you refuse to accept the resignation until court case is finished? Are you even allowed to do that? Can the accused resign whilst suspended?

Any pension he has paid is presumably his it’s just employer contributions that can be stopped…? or can it be classed similar to criminal income as he was upto no good whilst working and thus be recovered?

konabunny
    Free Member

Its also not great for the met as they all get tarred with the same brush

Oh, you cynic – surely as soon as his colleagues discovered his lie they reported him to their superiors and the integrity unit, and then co-operated fully with the disciplinary process? Right?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I know they will argue that it is just process but it should just happen by default.

Common sense says so, but if they don’t follow the proper procedures it would no doubt be challenged later on. Sharon Shoesmith debacle etc. (not comparing the cases of course, but as an example of what can happen when the procedures aren’t followed correctly)

Junkyard
    Free Member

did he resign before or after he admitted wrongdoing? If before what can you do? If a police bod is accused of something similar and resigns before getting to court what happens? Innocent until proven guilty so do you refuse to accept the resignation until court case is finished? Are you even allowed to do that? Can the accused resign whilst suspended?

All good questions and raise and some interesting points However we do know he resigned because he would be sacked so its a bit of a moot point.
    The point is you should not be able to resign to avoid disciplinary action for wrong doing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He’s niot being allowed to resign – Met are going disciplinary.

Shame Mitchell wasn’t candid at the time.

MSP

He has been bailed for sentencing on 6 February pending psychiatric reports.

That is a rather worrying statement, it looks like they are doing the groundwork for a get out of jail free card. I hope he doesn’t get away with it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Aside from the pension forfeiture issue it makes no difference – the highest sanction the disciplinary process can impose is dismissal, so the outcome is the same.

Regarding the pension forfeiture issue, this seems to depend on whether you were convicted of one of the offences that can result in forfeiture, not on whether or not you were dismissed, so again I don’t see it making any difference. If a retired police officer is convicted of treason, for example, his pension can be forfeited. This chap is convicted and intends to resign, i.e. was a serving officer at the time of conviction.

konabunny
    Free Member

it looks like they are doing the groundwork for a get out of jail free card

Yes, because an experienced High Court criminal judge won’t ever have looked at mental health reports of an offender before and will immediately set free anyone who presents them. FFS. 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

the poster never said it would work [they said they hoped it did not] so I am not sure why you made that point or with such scorn

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, sounds like a BS cover story.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Plebgate cop admits misconduct and to resign’ is closed to new replies.