Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Please tell me that I'm not the only STWer to have done this…..
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I took some household rubbish to the local community recycling facility (aka the tip) on Saturday afternoon. I opened the tailgate, chucked the bags into the appropriate skip and drove out. Unfortunately, the tailgate was still open and it smashed into the restricted height barrier. I thought a f*ckin' bomb had gone off. Brown trousers and then red cheeks as I realised I'd made a very silly mistake. What a mess, glass smashed, rear wiper housing smashed and thrown into the boot space, rear brake light dangling like a dropped phone. Anyway it's off to be repaired on my insurance – £200 excess. Not happy and feeling a bit daft. Anybody else done this?

KT1973
    Free Member

Before you claim that and lose your no claims, contact some scrappies and see if they have one- I reckon it would be less than 200 and easy to fit.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Its a Hyundai – your excess should get you a whole new car 😉

I've not seen that but did once see a neighbour put some step ladders in his hatchback & then slammed the tail gate down smashing the rear window with the steps.

KT1973
    Free Member

And yes, you are the only person ever to have done this. 😆

iDave
    Free Member

+1 wot KT said, no need for insurance

simonralli2
    Free Member

If it makes you feel better, I do seem to recall some STWorlders trashing 2 or 3 bikes on roofracks that they had forgotten were up there going into car parks with height barriers.

hainey
    Free Member

Years ago at the student nationals on the Isle of Wight i reversed my car with boot mounted bike rack on into a fence, bent it all in and out of shape (no damage to bikes thankfully). Did what KT said, went to local scrappy, found identical boot, same colour etc, part exchanged in the working parts of my boot – windscreen and wiper motor etc and it only cost me £40 in the end.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Similar; after a very busy weekend I got in my car & reversed it out of the garage leaving the drivers door wide open… the central pillar folded it back against the front wing… I did feel a ****

rOcKeTdOg

i thought you meant , bought a hyundai, no one would be that daft….oh

epicyclo

It'll be easier to get your bike in and out…

coffeeking
    Free Member

No way in hell I'd get this done on the insurance derek, call it back and ask your local garage to find you a scrappy one and fit it, it will come in lower than your excess I'm fairly sure.

ourmaninthenorth

Friend of mine bashed his new Superlight into a restricted heigh barrier. Thankfully, only a new front wheel was required, but he did write off the car in the process….

😯

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Looks like you have some damage to the actual tailgate body as well though? Bummer.

I rode into a tip once to drop off some garden rubbish and forgot I had a roofrack on top. Ripped it off and dragged it along and then down the roof and back of the car (which wasn't even mine) – too much cosmetic damage to fix on that age of car.

I knew what it was the second I heard it but it was loud.

Is that a Tucson?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I know, using the insurance sucks but there's more damage than you can see in the picture. Believe me. And it's not just a rear window, it's a glass "door" that opens independently of the main tailgate. There's a lot of paintwork damage and a broken light etc. etc. It would cost me more than £200 with the best will in the world. My no claims bonus is protected and I get a courtesy car so sod it.

derek_starship
    Free Member

BW – yep it's a Tucson. Six years old, bought from new and it's been brilliant. People on here knock Hyundai but they are quality and stylish vehicles these days.

rOcKeTdOg

stylish
    😛

derek_starship
    Free Member

[list=1]

kiwijohn

Stylish?

boblo
    Free Member

Ooh dear, bet you said 'oh drat!'. Cheer us all up and show us some pics of your belly instead 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

Stylish, but not in the Western world :O)

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Well I have one and I love it 🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

There's a yearly charity ride from Seahouses to Newcastle. One of the carparks has a restricted height barrier – you'd be amazed how many people drive there lovely roof mounted shiney bikes straight into it every year….

Harry_the_Spider

Derek,

Can I tell everyone in the office?

Harry

69er
    Free Member

Derek, compared to my motor vehicles yours are uber stylish. Don't listen to these fools… and no, I'm not going to post pics 😳

0range5

I did a better/more stupid one. Had some Thule fork mount bike racks mounted forks to the rear of the car for ease of getting the bikes on. Forgot to do up the wheel strap. Fine until 80 on dual carrigeway. HUGE noise, like a grenade had gone off inside the car! Back window gone as the bike flipped over. I was actually relieved, I thought the bike would be in bits all over the road, but it was still attached. The insurance paid out as if they'd heard it many times before! Didn't lose no claims as it was glass. Never forgot to fasten the wheel strap again…

dangriff
    Free Member

This happened to me (sort of) in a Vauxhall dealer when I was 17 and my mate was buying a Corsa.

I sat in the back of a Tigra and commented on how shite it was to the salesman when my mate slammed the boot shut (he'd been looking at the boot space). It came down right on my head and put the back window straight through. When the salesman briefly said we'd have to pay for the damage, I he was swiftly told to **** off.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fill your boots Harry 😮

Harry_the_Spider

Already have matey. 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

I've told everyone in this office. You're the talk of Agecroft Road.

TheFopster
    Free Member

This will sound like an urban myth but it is completely true. When I was a kid, our neighbour was a car nut with two lovely white Jags that he fussed over every weekend. Went to the extent of getting an inspection pit created in his garage. A friend of his asked if he could use the pit to investigate a strange noise his car was making, so our neighbour said help yourself and left the garage doors open for when he arrived. My and my brother heard a loud crash and ran round to see what was going on – to find a Reliant Robin nose down in the pit… Compared to that, I don't think you need to worry.

Jerome
    Free Member

I saw a brand new volvo do this in a car park.
    A stickee out sign was just in the wrong place as he reversed.

BoardinBob

Wasn't it Hora or someone else that drove into a height restriction barrier with a bunch of bikes on the roof!

verses

A few weeks ago I backed into my garage with the hatchback open 😳

vd

I have actually done the bikes on the roof trick 3 times – twice in the same car park. On a positive note, the Giant frame survived all 3 skirmishes!

I no longer put bikes on the roof – having come to the conclusion that anyone able to do it 3 times is obviously capable of a 4th

derek_starship
    Free Member

I've just remembered a very funny incident, in this vein, that happened about eight years ago. This is completely true and Harry the Spider will vouch for it as he was there too.

Anyway a (very unpopular) member of staff left work at about 10:30am. He drove alongside the building at about 20 mph, heading towards reception and the red/white striped security barrier. Instead of slowing to a stop and insert his barrier key to raise it, he barrelled straight through it, taking out the barrier and his windscreen. Now this in itself was enough to induce a tsunami of mirth and giggles. As I said this guy was a complete dick. But what almost killed us was when we found that he'd left work at 10:30 to attend…………………..an optician appointment! 😆 Phwip – I'm almost crying now – ho ho ho.

parkesie
    Free Member

someone selling the rear glass for £35 on ebay.

postierich
    Free Member

Drove into the local tip and barriers where open as i was following a lorry,drove out and the had been closed by a member of staff resulting in me ripping off my rack on the camper,not a happy chappy and had words with the council but the workers said I had not followewd instructions and not stopped when told too.(lying sods)

Ended up claiming on insurance for rack £350 and £600 roof damage

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Please tell me that I'm not the only STWer to have done this…..’ is closed to new replies.