Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Please talk to me about carbon 29er hardtails
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Just curiously browsing such bikes having previously dismissed them after seeing a couple holding their own on holiday recently.

However, all the ones I seem to be finding are “race” orientated. Do any have a more trail leaning?

For some reason, the 2015 cube reaction gtc sl in green seems to have caught my eye.

J-R

I got a Trek Superfly a couple of months ago. I’m loving it and having ridden anything else off road since.

Picto
    Free Member

Bit fugly but is the On One Lurcher not a trail style carbon 29er. Based on the Scandal geometry and on offer. Folk who have ridden them seem to like them.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Likewise I got this a couple of months ago for just over a grand, put a few of my own bits on it and haven’t ridden anything else since

ricky1
    Free Member

Currently eying up a scott scale 900 carbon,sorry they are race orientated,reckon the lurcher will keep you happy.

DavidB
    Free Member

What’s out there in the very lightweight/jet niche?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Does it have to be a 29er?

Saracen are doing a carbon version of their Mantra (27.5″) which is more of a “fun” bike. Also – depending on budget – the Pyga Zero is a lovely bike. Again 27.5″ – race-capable but a bit slacker than most race bikes.

dantsw13

If you want carbon because it is light, how about a nice Ti Titus Fireline? Slack, fairly short stays, light and an absolute blast to ride.

DT78
    Free Member

I rarely ride my nomad since I picked up a scale. It really shifts. Up, along and down. Been wondering about a dropper for it. I like the challenge of riding dh on it fast. The only place it looses out IMO is rough pedally sections as you can’t keep the power down.

Whyte 29c was more fun to ride, but garmin said slower over a test loop.

njee20
    Free Member

I also have a Trek Superfly and like it very much. 19.2lbs with SIDs, XX1, carbon wheels and a smattering of light bits.

If you want light and different/niche I’d look at Open.

singlesteed
    Free Member

PX Dirty Harry is a fantastic bargain if you can manage to find one.
    Great finish and nice quality frame, with good features like standard BB shell and tapered headtube.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a KTM Aera 29’er all I’ve changed are the wheels to crests/pro II Evos and gone 1×10, it’s a flying machine. It’s around 23lbs now.

I’ve hardly ridden my Anthem 29’er since – it’s going to be sold – also considering a dropper for it, but being 27.2 I’m a bit limited in choice

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. Weary of trek due to the bottom bracket “standard”, if it’s going to have to be press fit, I’d rather something I could later fit a Hope bottom bracket to. Besides, doesn’t at least one of the superflys come with sids? That’s what made me think it was a bit racy.

Similarly, isn’t the giant pitched at fast xc/ racing? Although I’m not sure how much difference it makes on 29ers.

Only reason I’m thinking carbon is that I’ve never owned a carbon bike. Same reason why I’m thinking 29er, never had one. Rightly or wrongly, 650b feels like the modern alternativealternative to 26″ rather than being vastly different.

Build a fireline up for a mate. Nice bike put didn’t play well with a front mech. I think my riding in the Peak needs at least a double and a dropper post.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you are just 29er curiuos then I would have thought an On One would be a good start. You know the geometry is pretty sorted and won’t break the Bank.

dantsw13

Onzadog – Fireline is fine with a front mech, you just need the right one! I’ve got a direct mount adapter from on-one, and a DM FD, running full outer to the mech and it’s flawless, with plenty of clearance for a smorgasbord rear tyre.

And it has a reverb.

fatmax

Well I’ve just pulled the trigger this morning on the 2015 Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL 6.9 (XL) should be here in a week or two. Happy to report back then!

dpfr

I’m probably guilty of MTB Lite but I absolutely love my Whyte 29 CS. It doesn’t half cover the ground.

J-R

My Superfly has SIDs but I can assure you it is very stable geometry, not at all twitchy.

TheGingerOne

Yeti ArcC is really good fun and takes a 120mm fork 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

drovercycles – Member

Does it have to be a 29er?

Saracen are doing a carbon version of their Mantra (27.5″) which is more of a “fun” bike

I just checked that out. I haven’t looked at the Mantra since I used to sell them 4 years ago or so. The geometry on the new one looks fantastic.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thegingerone, seeing yours in action is what piqued my curiosity I think.

bentudder

The Lurcher is the same geometry as the Scandal V2 – I have a Vs Scandal in 16″ and it’s pretty darned amazing with 100mm forks. Utterly surprised at how well it has handled stuff like Walna Scar and The Gap this year, and it’s very, very rapid at home in the Surrey Hills, too. That said, I’m about to build up a Whyte t129 after riding a friend’s FS 29er.

The Lurcher is not massively lighter than the aluminimum Scandal v2 – published weights were about 200g difference, and I seem to remember the Scandal came in at about 1600g – that last bit might be nonsense, of course.

Consider alloy and steel 29ers, too – I think, once you’ve pinned down something with the right numbers (and I’d venture to say the Scandal v2 and the Niners it bears a close geometric resemblance to are a great place to start) a really good set of wheels and a thru-axle Reba, SID or Rev will see you right.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Please talk to me about carbon 29er hardtails’ is closed to new replies.