Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Please talk me out of getting a 29+ hardtail, especially as my only bike!
  • scrufftv
    Free Member

Thanks, well chuffed with it. They do an aluminium model as well which is lighter than the Krampus. It has a lower bottom bracket than the Krampus and handles the tall suspension fork much better. In fact the Krampus bottom bracket is high enough to run normal 29er tyres, or even the true 3″ + B+ tyres if the OP wanted to cover all their options.

roverpig

I don’t know if this is any help but (after waiting for ages for them to come in stock) I recently bought a pair of Trailblazer B+ tyres, which I intended to try on my Mk1 Solaris. However, I’m now having second thoughts.

I was out on my Five the other night and coming down a set of rocky steps the bike felt terrible. I thought the rear shock had failed, but on getting to the bottom I realised that I’d lost a load of air from the rear tyre and was running around 15psi. If that’s what low pressure feels like (bouncy and hard to control) I’m not sure I’m going to like it much.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

They do an aluminium model as well which is lighter than the Krampus.

do they? its not on the site

them nextie rims look awesome compared to the RH’s as well 8)

Paceman
    Free Member

My Krampus in it’s natural habitat, love it to bits…

1-shed
    Free Member

http://carverbikes.com/frames/aluminum-gnarvester/ that frame and their carbon fork looks a winner.

scrufftv
    Free Member

Has been the first thing on their front page for months, just checked still there. This is the link:http://carverbikes.com/frames/aluminum-gnarvester/

The Nexties do perk up the ride, pick up is great. I Did notice the other day that after riding just the Nexties for a month, went back to the Rabbit Holes with tubes and it didn’t feel as bad as I thought, the gyroscopic never going to stop freewheeling you get with heavy wheels was a pleasant surprise. If I could afford another pair of Nexties I would get them though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

sorry i thought it was a Travers!

scrufftv
    Free Member

Ah yes, easy mistake. Nearly went that way but I wanted a threaded bottom bracket. Did get the wheels from them though, great service.

kuman
    Free Member

Krampus will make your other bikes redundant.

d45yth
    Free Member

Hey! Have some of you forgot the title of this thread! You’re supposed to be talking me out of wanting one, although I seem to be doing a good job of that myself. 😀

boxelder

Fin25 – it has 135mm qr rear. Is that stupid spacing already?

d45yth
    Free Member

I think he might mean the ‘boost’ front. It would definitely limit suspension fork choices, at least at the moment.

singlespeedstu

I realised that I’d lost a load of air from the rear tyre and was running around 15psi. If that’s what low pressure feels like.

It’s not. You’re confusing a semi flat with a large volume tyre.
    Not even vaguely like each other.

Sanny
    Free Member

Might one suggest an Ice Cream Truck? I’m running one in both full fat and 29+ mode. Absolutely brilliant fun! Handles like a Krampus in 29+ mode with the option of going full fat. I used it in fat mode for the Capital Trail and loved it. It definitely warrants a double at the front as you’ll be amazed at the traction you get. I seem to spend most of my time riding it these days at the exclusion of my other bikes. 😀

I was a sceptic about the press fit bb but it has been rock solid.

Check out Coastkid’s blog for all things 29+. The new Surly Wednesday could be a great option too!

Be prepared to enjoy yourself!

Sanny
    Free Member

This probably won’t help but I had the Ice Cram Truck up Helvellyn twice in a day last month…..it was bloody good fun. The big wheels and rigid coped better on the steps of despair down Dollywagon Pike than my mates 650b full sussers. It’s a different riding style but is definitely a hoot! Hmmmmm! I’m no help really, am I? 😀

d45yth
    Free Member

No, you really are not!

Sanny
    Free Member

If you are near Jockland, you are welcome to try it……..that REALLY doesn’t help!

d45yth
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer, but as much as I know I’d like it, I definitely won’t be going full-fat (or getting a bike that has the capability of becoming one).
    It is good to hear someone like yourself sing the praises of them though, as I know you don’t mince the descents. Most other folk I know that are recommending them either aren’t quick or have never had a decent full-sus. The ones who are/have and also have any bike I’m considering still wouldn’t give up their full-sus’!

1-shed
    Free Member

Most other folk I know that are recommending them either aren’t quick or have never had a decent full-sus. Thanks that’s me that is.

d45yth
    Free Member

😆

mrvear
    Free Member

Me too.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Having one, universal but quite niche bike is making you accept all the pross and cons it is bringing into the game.

Personally if I’ll be completely and utterly down to ONE bike and not bothered about weight I would go with 29+ ready fattie. Next step would be 2 or even 3 wheels sets (full on fatty, 29+ and standard 29) shortly followed by Bluto.

If you are at least part weight-conscious I would go custom Ti to accommodate all my needs. Pact by Brant Richards for example, as it is not requiring to sell kids, kidney, liver and start prostituting yourself 😀

Cheers!
    I.

boxelder

dan and mrvear – fancy a quick bikepack overnight sometime soon?
    Would involve a pub

roverpig

It’s not. You’re confusing a semi flat with a large volume tyre.
    Not even vaguely like each other.

I’m sure you’re right, but does 15psi in a 27.5×2.8 tyre really feel that much different to 15psi in a 26×2.25 tyre? Different enough to go from hating the feel to liking it? I know there is only one way to find out, but it’s going to mean buying some wheels (or buying some rims and building some wheels), so it would be handy if somebody could try and put into words the difference in feel between a low pressure “plus” tyre and a low pressure “normal” tyre.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

could try and put into words the difference in feel between a low pressure “plus” tyre and a low pressure “normal” tyre.

Low pressure on standard 29 inch tyre for me is anything around 12-17PSI.
    And that is standard I was running on my 29-er HT with 2.4 and 2.3 tyres on 21mm internal width rims. 10.5 stones, not very aggressive rider, not jumpy.

On 29+ my low pressure was around 6-8PSI set up tubeless on 45mm internal width rims. Extra low, just for the sake of testing was around 4PSI to explore tubeless set up.

That one gave me feeling of run-on-flat standard tyre. Sidewalls were bending and washing out, whole experience of riding was very, very unpleasant.

With 6-8PSI in my case I had perfect balance between cushioning and support. No unwanted bending, rolling or washing-out of the tyre. And still bucketloads of comfort.
    Especially visible on the cobbled or small bumps uneven surface.

Sure thing as soon as it is going choppy you can feel that there is not enough suspension to aid you but that is beauty of riding fully rigid.

You either suffer or apply you body-English and pick you lines carefully and deliberately.

Cheers!
    I.

singlespeedstu

does 15psi in a 27.5×2.8 tyre really feel that much different to 15psi in a 26×2.25 tyre?

I’d not be able to get away with 15 PSI in even my largest standard 29er rim/tyre combo.
    15 PSI in the 2.8 on 45mm rim feels a little hard.

I think in very basic terms low pressure on normal ish tyres feels like the tyres is collapsing when you side load in corners and + tyres don’t.
    You don’t get as many rim strikes either.

roverpig

Thanks IvanMTB and singlespeedstu, that’s very helpful. I guess there is an optimum pressure for any wheel, based on the size (and construction) of the tyres, width of the wheel and rider preferences. That pressure will likely be lower for a 27.5×2.8 setup than a 26×2.25 one, but it’s still going to be a case of fiddling around to see what suits each rider best.

I think I’ve got it now 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

Boxelder – I’m sure we can organise something. I’ve still got your number, so I’ll speak to MrVear and be in touch.

spectabilis
    Free Member

It’s not just the tyres Rover, a lot of the + feel is attributed to the wider rims. even a regular size tyre feels better at lower pressures. A plus size rim allows the tyre to fill out in a more square profile reducing the rolling effect of the balloon profile you’d have on regular rims.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Get a grip man. They flatten out the trails, don’t turn so well, look out of proportion, unless you are a giant….

We’ll love you whatever you ride. You’ll love whatever you ride.

When’s the bike up for sale? It’s an awesome bike.

Hope to see you out on the tasks soon buddy. X

mrvear
    Free Member

Boxelder, I’m on for a bivvy, give me a bell at the shop.

piemonster

I really didn’t want to read this thread…

And more pictures please…

fin25
    Free Member

HTH

piemonster

Why yes it did. Thank you.

frood
    Free Member

It’s brilliant, still can’t get my head around Genesis changing it so significantly this year, especially after it sold out in no time

d45yth
    Free Member

Les – thanks for the advice and the lurve – give me a shout if you want to ride sometime, I don’t necessarily mean a bike one either. When’s your Mrs next away? 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Please talk me out of getting a 29+ hardtail, especially as my only bike!’ is closed to new replies.