• This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Please show me your BFe
  • spacecadett
    Free Member

I have ordered a new BFe from Cotic in bright blue. Please post pics of yours, I need ideas on how to build it up.

I am thinking of 150mm Revs with SLX or XT.

Cheers.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Not bright blue (although that's the colour I'd have gone for if buying new) but here's mine:

Current build is just a flung together temporary one:
    55r forks
    SLX drive train (22/36 chainset and 11-34 cassette)
    Deore brakes
    XT/no-name hubs on D321/721 wheels
    Eskar tyres

The build is heavy (32lbs) due to the heavy forks and wheel so I expect I'll be lightening it up a bit in future.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

a mate of mines

http://squidboy.pinkbike.com/album/Cotic-Bfe/

In blue 🙂

Its rather nice indeed!!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Now sold in favour of something with proper sized wheels (29ers for ever)

freeform5spot
    Free Member
    RichGuk
    Free Member

Here is mine! (on flickr)

swisstony
    Free Member

just for you

nordofjura
    Free Member

here you go …

http://cotic.posterous.com/just-another-custom-bfe-build

a rather unspectactular built with pikes 454, hope/ztr-flows, x9/slx

Rickos
    Free Member

Surely a bike like that deserves coil sprung forks.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

nice bikes just a shame they don't make any big sizes

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Here's mine:

Built to take a beating. Pikes, SLX chainset (dual+bash), SRAM rest of drivetrain, mono m4 brakes, pro2/mavic D521 wheels.

Excuse the tyres in the photo, they are my commuting ones. Usually run high rollers. Overall build is just over 31lbs, so fairly heavy. But it feels comfortable riding anything.

nickc

Did you all get together and decide to build the same bike?

nordofjura
    Free Member

well, it seems that bfe buyers tend to be equipped with the same psychostructure … and the pikes are the materialization of it

crocodilian
    Free Member

Me and mine at Glentress. I've spotted two orange ones in this thread (including mine) out of six made in total (3 med and 3 small). So who has the other four? Are they on here? Does anyone apart from me care?! Probably not!

a11y

I've had various chats via email with Paul at Cotic about BFe sizing and we've decided that I'm on the cusp of being between a medium and large size: I'm 6' with a 33" inside leg. Currently riding a 17.5" Genesis Altitude with a 100mm stem.

The medium BFe seems comparable – on paper the effective toptube is 0.5" longer than my Genesis, but I'd be fitting a shorter-than-100mm stem to a BFe obviously.

Can anyone here offer any additional advice on sizing?

I also previously owned an original large Soul years ago that I sold for being slightly too big – don't want to make the same mistake again. I think I've sort of answered my own question with that statement, but any advice on BFe sizing would still be welcomed.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Here's mine in action 🙂

crocodilian
    Free Member

I'm 6'2"/6'3" and ride the medium no problem. The top tube was shorter than I'm used to but not uncomfortable short, I prefer it this way as it feels like I have more control over the bike.

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

Hi,
    Just got an older large model last week and it measures 465mm ,centre b/b to top of top tube.

I am 6'2" and 33" inside leg and it suits fine,however the medium version is the size I would plump for if you want an aggressive AM type set up or even for general XC stuff.

I currently run a 70mm stem on my rig you might want to got down to 50mm ,see what fits really . But medium would be a must for you.

Bomber build quality from british steel and a british company. All good .

(crocodillian) Mine is currently grey but will get it painted some time soon in BFE orange,according to Paul at Cotic it is PANTONE 1655C.

a11y

Cheers folks. Just confirmed what I've been thinking all along!

Just need to wait for blue mediums to arrive back into stock at the end of the month now 🙂

crocodilian
    Free Member

Oh yes, additionally to my post above, I use 70mm stem too. Additional to that; it really is an all day bike even with the Lyriks on. Great fun, love it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

well, it seems that bfe buyers tend to be equipped with the same psychostructure … and the pikes are the materialization of it

Mine doesn't have Pikes on it at the moment but given I do have a set that might well change.

hora
    Free Member

Urgh is this a Readers Wifes page? Its like the Soul frame has water retention 😐

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

What size of rear disc are you running crocodillian ?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I should add that I've got a Small (also got a Medium Soul) and I love it even though I'm 6ft with a 32" inside leg. Running a 60mm stem and a 15mm layback post but it rips real nice 🙂 In fact it feels lovely on the more tech terrain and I'm starting to think about getting rid of the Soul but keep riding the Soul to see if thats a good idea or not.

I've built it up as follows:

130mm U-turn Revs
    60m Stem
    1×9 drivetrain with chain device (36 and 11-34 – might change this to 32 or 34 up front)
    Lightweight AM wheels.

Would love some Lyriks (Coil u-turn) but enjoying the Revs all the same.

I'd say that Crocodilians grin says it all! 😉

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

The soul is "the dogs" but the BFE just has a bigger pair and aint affraid to show em off.

Green just doesn't suit some folks. Heh heh heh

mboy
    Free Member

5ft 11 here, and building up a small… It's not meant to be an efficient XC machine, it's meant for chucking about like a loon… Hence go smaller for defo!

a11y

Oh it's certainly going to be a medium now – the whole reason for replacing my Genesis is that I'm chucking it around a lot, possibly more than it was originally designed for. I'll be transferring all the stuff over: 140mm Revs, 26/40 chainset with device. Just a new seatpost and some bigger tyres perhaps.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I've spotted two orange ones in this thread (including mine) out of six made in total (3 med and 3 small). So who has the other four? Are they on here?

I've got another one of the smalls – sadly not got any up to date pics of it. Pikes or Lyrics depending on quite how DHey I'm feeling, Avid Juicys, SRam X9, 1×9 with a E13 SRS, medium or heavy wheel options, again depending on what I'm doing, Thomson/Hope/Bonty finishing kit

Bloody good fun, when I'm in the mood, but does live up to it's name after 5 or 6 hours on it!

Pic from last year.

crocodilian
    Free Member

What size of rear disc are you running crocodillian ?

180mm

swisstony
    Free Member

Didn't realise i was in such an exclusive club, mines a small btw.

FatMandy
    Free Member

Here's mine.

I wanted an all rounder.

Last night I was doing DH runs with uplift.
    Wednesday night I raced it in a BMX club night.
    Earlier in the summer I raced it in a 12h XC race.

I think that I've found my all rounder!

The only differences that I make for those types of riding are

Saddle height
    Fork heigh/lockout
    Tyre pressure
    And for very special occasions I use those funny little pedals that scare me.

shellac
    Free Member

Hello,

Medium blue….

mcinnes
    Free Member

Mine's built for fun too 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Here is mine, after a very long wait…

One ride old so far (well to me anyway, previous owner used it a fair bit it seems) and I like it… A lot! Put a smile on my face doing a familiar trail yesterday anyway…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Please show me your BFe’ is closed to new replies.