Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Please shoot me
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Oh dear god, I work for an “arms length body” ie a civil servant for my sins and OMG i must of freaking sinned

New IT system has come on line and guess what it doesnt work, useless moronici felching idiots. I need information from an old system that I cant get access to anymore, been on holiday for 2 weeks.

Is it anywonder people think we are work shy scroungers when our bosses give us systems that don’t freakin work are not fit for purpose. Get on with it say the manager, been on hold for 30 minutes due to number of calls all trying to just log on

A pox on them dumb ass jizz garglers

wl
    Free Member

Unlucky, sounds shit. Brilliantly expressed though, so ta for making me laugh.

wwaswas

My wife nearly lost 15 years pension contributions following an IT upgrade.

They didn’t transfer her details, the only PC that would still run the old software broke and was binned by IT before anyone realised it had the only copy of the software on it…

Some bloke had kept a bit of microfiche ‘for old times sake’ and it happened to have some copies of her payslips on it that proved she’d made contributions.

We stayed calm for most of the 18 months to sort this out…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pictonroad

IBIS is still available read only, data frozen at point of closure, all time and project cost data is open to view, I suggest user error.

Fine here.

😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheeky git 😆 Had to get a new password for IBIS, followed instructions after phoning 8080 to get new password, problem that function has gone and the phone message is out of date 😆

Just gave up on SOP after sitting on hold for 20 minutes.

pictonroad

😆

scratch my latest post, none of my time codes are recognised…

Pigface
    Free Member

Brilliant 😆

enfht
    Free Member

ass jizz garglers

😯

D0NK

the only PC that would still run the old software broke and was binned by IT before anyone realised it had the only copy of the software on it

you sure that wasn’t the typical “whoops we screwed up, let’s blame an IT system/department”?
    IT are normally pretty clued up about that sort of shizzle*.

Having said that our head of IT has brought in a new job system, 3months in and lots of upgrades and it’s still a steaming pile of unusable shite but no chance of returning to the previous flawed but still a million times better to use system – that is still available.

*yes IT departments can be shit and anyone have a bad day but I’ve seen lots of other people’s mistakes being blamed on IT.

wwaswas

I believed the bloke who told me. Apparently they got a shiney new replacement with Windows 7 on it but the software woudl only run on Windows 95 and no one could get IT to install such an old version of Windows on it and eventually gave up.

The personnel people seemed a bit ‘these things happen’ about the whole situation and the fact my wife was losing half her pension was just unfortunate collateral damage…

molgrips
    Free Member

You try supplying a govt department with IT systems.. They are the ones with no clue and we get the blame.

Pigface
    Free Member

Shut up Molly 😆 if the log in took 2.5hrs then I don’t hold out a lot of hope for the rest of the system 😥

manton69

For time codes and project codes put ENV in front of most of them.

BTW no idea what you are talking I come on here to try and escape putting in all of my time sheets. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Why did it take 2.5 hours? They were probably told they needed X amount of computing power, but to try and meet economy targets they only paid for X/4 computing power. Guess what happens?

Drac

Oooh! It’s been a few years since someone had a proper employee rant on here, it didn’t go well for them.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang … click, click, click

There you go 😐

Pigface
    Free Member

Was that a proper rant??

Just learnt the ENV trick.

Molly how often do the end users get involved with the procurement and specs of a system? Settle down, there is a dear 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

They don’t, but if I had my way they would. The ‘they’ in my ranting is your managers, or more likely their managers’ managers.

pictonroad

“Time – straight” was my issue, user error, I’m sure it’s in the guidance

right, all up date, time sorted, projects reconciled. Posting on here whilst on hold has helped but now all my problems are solved I can do some proper work.

Thanks for the catharsis Mr Pig.

Pigface
    Free Member

I hear that Molli 😆

andyfla
    Free Member

no one could get IT to install such an old version of Windows on it and eventually gave up

possibly IT couldn’t install it on such a new architecture
    VMware does spring to mind, although I personally used to hate supporting 20yr old systems that no-one really understood and where the original manufacturers had disappeared

djambo
    Free Member

bad IT systems are usually the result of poor/changing/vague business requirements or (occaisionally) failed testing.

IT is pretty black and white…’puters do what they are told to do so it’s usually a case of them being told to do the wrong thing.

That said it’s much easier to blame IT 🙂 !

scuttler

Needs downloading to the clouds innit.

molgrips
    Free Member

bad IT systems are usually the result of poor/changing/vague business requirements

Which is in turn a result of bad management, which is in turn a result of people thinking they know more about IT than they do…

IT is pretty black and white…’puters do what they are told to do so it’s usually a case of them being told to do the wrong thing.

Yeah but working out what the right thing actually is CAN be a lot harder than it first seems…..

robdob
    Free Member

Pigface – I’ve recorded 14 hours on my timesheets so far under the “inputting time recording” code – yes I’ve done 2 full days on it so far…..

I had to bite my tongue speaking to SSCL today……

Don’t think I’ll be getting my standby/overtime payments this month… 🙁

rickmeister

In doing a bit of work for DWP in Sheffield, I asked the client if he had some presentation slides to keynote the session with. He siad he would bring a disc along with his chizzle on it, ready to go.

It was 2002, my laptop only had a CD/DVD drive and strangely, no matter how we tried the 5 and a quarter inch disc just wasn’t going to cut it….

He was both serious and dissappointed.

DAJG

robdob
    Free Member

And please please please I hope Jabber never starts (may be too late though….)

Rubber_Buccaneer

With a name like Pigface I bet you are the Prime Minister’s favourite civil servant 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Which is in turn a result of bad management, which is in turn a result of people thinking they know more about IT than they do…

I find this – I don’t think in some cases its managers thinking they know a lot about IT, it’s not knowing what the users of the IT actually do with the IT they have and what they need/want to do – the people at the sharp end don’t ever get asked….. 🙁

teenrat

Ah, IBIS and the old 8080 number!! I feel your pain

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is, we as implementers have seen this a hundred times before, and we have a pretty good idea of how things will go down, and what’ll be needed. But for some reason they rarely let us properly talk to the end users or experts. The managers want to ‘own’ the solution and control what happens.

It’s usually just public sector that does this, for some reason.

Pigface
    Free Member

He isn’t my favourite Prime Minister though 😆

Cheers Teenrat, it is the replacement of IBIS that is causing so much vexation 😆 two weeks on holiday and I am way under the speed I need to be travelling at to be able to cope with this.

DaRC_L

which is in turn a result of people thinking they know more about IT than they do…

The 2 main issues I come across are these
    1) Managers thinking IT is seperate to their business (FFS with no IT you don’t have a business anymore; the worlds moved on from the paper&people systems of the 70’s)
    2) Always the Managers want (& are sold) the shiny silver bullet systems, forget about evolving & keeping your current systems upto date. Except werewolves don’t exist and nature (which has been successful for quite some time) favours an evolutionary approach

MoreCashThanDash

As a civil servant, that was one of the best rants on here for some time. Judicious insults and spelling errors.

benji
    Free Member

You appear to have an obsession with semen 😯

mrchrispy

Why did it take 2.5 hours? They were probably told they needed X amount of computing power, but to try and meet economy targets they only paid for X/4 computing power. Guess what happens?

Performance is rarely about compute power these days 99% of the times it shitty code, poorly thought out business logic, poorly designed databases structures (agile development anyone?). if your application needs more hardware that is currently on offer then you are doing some serious processing

nemesis
    Free Member

Eh?

Depending on how many users you have, you’ll need certain specs to get decent performance no matter how good the code is, etc.

As stated, the vendors will generally have a fairly decent guidance on what those specs are based on the customer requirements. And again, as stated, often those requirements will be ignored to save costs or they’ve got the basic info wrong – eg number of users or more importantly number of concurrent users…

DaRC_L

(agile development anyone?)

is that business agile (aka JFDI) or proper Agile (as per the Agile Manifesto?)
    I’ve seen plenty of waterfall built systems with the same problems – as the research shows project success is reliant upon 3 factors = process, communication & quality people.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depending on how many users you have, you’ll need certain specs to get decent performance no matter how good the code is, etc.

Yep, so you say ‘you need X’ and they say ‘we can only afford Y’ but they still need a system and you still need to fulfil the contract.. so the managers usually find a way to fudge it, and the techies say ‘this isn’t going to work’ and the managers say ‘expecations have been managed’ which is their way of saying stfu.

if your application needs more hardware that is currently on offer then you are doing some serious processing

I just implemented something using an off-the-shelf product that had already been sold. It had a particular set of requirements, and we were only given 2 cores and 4Gb RAM. That’s not much these days, is it? Why so low? Because the physical machine was a monster, but it was running dozens of other apps at the same time in VMs. 4Gb was all that was left, and 2 cores was all the license they could afford.

So we had little control over the product, and no possibility of getting any more power.

mogrim

On a related note, my daughter’s gymnastics coach asked me yesterday how much it would cost to build a system to help her run the club – it would be easy, I just need to copy the example football website she sent me the link to, change a couple of things, all done.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Please shoot me’ is closed to new replies.