Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • please recommend me an unplugged album that isn't
  • jhw
    Free Member

nirvana
    alice
    neil young
    radiohead
    eric clapton

Need this for late nights in the office. Thanks…!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The original unplugged;

Duke
    Free Member

Paul Weller – Days of Speed

sc-xc

Justin Sullivan & Friends – Tales of the Road
    Counting Crows – Storytellers

warton
    Free Member

+1 days of speed
    van morrison its too late to stop now, not strictly unplugged but an incredible live album

bommer
    Free Member

Ginger at the 12 bar

Recorded as is, with Ginger and willy getting pisster as the night draws on. Great

rudedog
    Free Member

Ocean Colour Scene – B sides, seasides and free rides
    Any Nick Drake album
    Bob Dylan – Blood on the tracks

kevin1911

10000 maniacs

paulosoxo
    Free Member

CLASSIC!

sonik
    Free Member

roy harper-‘flat, broke, and berserk’

nonk
    Free Member

and the sign said the long haired freaky people need not apply 🙂

wanders of to find tesla album.

Naranjada
    Free Member

You want an album recommendation for music made as part of the ‘unplugged’ series, or an acoustic album?

Most of the unplugged stuff was pretty gash IMO, but 10,000 Maniacs attempt was pretty good. If you want some nice acoustic music the choice is endless and there’s a good deal of electro-acoustic that’s superb too. Lots of modern stuff too – Bill Callahan’s 2009 album ‘Sometime I wish we were an eagle’ is very good, lots of Sufjan Stevens’ back catalogue is quite something, Damien Jurado, Smog (Bill Callahan again), Bon Iver, Micah P Hinson, Will Oldham aka Bonnie Prince Billy, Elliot Smith, Johnny Cash’s American recordings etc. etc.

plumber
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that Bon Jovi originated the unplugged scenario

However I always like Poison totally not unplugged ‘unplugged’ approach

Plum

jimmy

Arrested Development

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks there are some great tips here – I will be investing!

Good call on it’s too late to stop now!! Though if we’re talking acoustic surely it has to be Astral Weeks! Saw him perform it last year actually. Wouldn’t normally see VM at this point but worth it to see that album.

My current CD pile in my desk is a little sad…Blood on the Tracks (good call above), Blonde on Blonde, Bringing it all Back Home, Astral Weeks, and Nirvana unplugged…I will see about expanding this…

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Brian Adams – Unplugged, some good ones on there 😀

jedi

pearl jam

senorj

cowboy junkies – trinity sessions.

atlaz
    Free Member

Are you after an album that is billed as “unplugged” or do you just like the sound stripped back without extra stuff?

_tom_
    Free Member

Not really unplugged but nice laid back songs with no distorted guitars (apart from some lead bits), Opeth – Damnation. It’s awesome.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

MTV Unplugged compilation albums from their tv show?

coatesy
    Free Member

Page and Plant(Led-Zep), also worth looking up some of Joe Bonnamasa’s acoustic stuff,don’t think it’s available as a complete album, but worth looking through others for it.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Mike Peters of The Alarm Live Accoustics, Quality.

redted
    Free Member

Wow, 5 Man Acoustical Jam, that takes me back! a definitive choice, played it to death in my teens, absolute winner. Frankie Hannon is an awesome guitarist, the DVD is a great watch too.
    Oh and also the Mike Peters stuff, his voice is incredible,and some very lovely songs. I chose “walk forever by my side” as our first dance for our wedding. They (The Alarm)should have gone alot further, Always felt a bit gutted for them when someone called them “the poor mans U2” but you kind of saw where they were coming from.

Dogzyboy
    Free Member

The Foo Fighters Skin & Bones album is awesome. Not technically unplugged, more like live acoustic versions of their best songs.

stayhigh

Pearl Jam Live at Benaroya Hall

Its not an MTV Unplugged album but is two discs of acoustic loveliness 8)

jhw
    Free Member

Anything stripped back I think – but with unplugged live albums in first priority

That Pearl Jam one has to be done

Bruce Springsteen Nebraska also

stayhigh

While I think of it Eddie Vedder did a soundtrack for a film called Into the Wild which is really nice if only 35 minutes long.

jedi

guaranteed is an amazing track from into the wild!

verses

Again not an Unplugged set in particular, but the Pearl Jam Lost Dogs album is worth a listen.

momo

City and Colour – Sometimes, not unplugged, just one very good singer with an acoustic guitar and some great songs.

ourmaninthenorth

All of what Naranjada said.

+
    Silver Jews (American Water is a great place to start).

Also, look out the old bluesmen, and some of the more “recent” Model T Ford, etc….

jedi

temple of the dog (vedder/cornell) is rad too 🙂

letmetalktomark

If it hasn’t already been mentioned …..

Metallica S&M – Truely awesome.

stayhigh

Blimey cahrlie Jedi not heard TOTD for years, will dig that out later on 🙂

Check out a band called Calexico The Black Light and John Frusciante Shadows collide with People

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Eric Clapton unplugged

slackman99
    Free Member

Dashboard Confessional (MTV unplugged)

jhw
    Free Member

I’ll second Lost Dogs.

Eddie Vedder did a soundtrack for a film called Into the Wild which is really nice if only 35 minutes long

Good call. Perfect riding album. Opposite of what you need to listen to in a dingy office however. Makes one want to be somewhere big sky. The title “into the wild” is the giveaway!

Something about Eddie Vedder’s voice and mountain biking just go together perfectly for me. Wonder if it’s partly because he’s a massive surfer

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Ben harper

BigJohn

Kraftwerk?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘please recommend me an unplugged album that isn't’ is closed to new replies.