Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • please recommend me a trail centre to try out my new bike
  • Gooner
    Free Member

i have built an xc full suspension bike (based around a Trek EX9 frame) and want to try it out at a trail centre this weekend
    needs to be approx 1.5 hours e/way from Leeds

looking for flowing singletrack, pref technical bits, rocks roots, hills and descents!

was thinking of;
    Dalby – been there loads so would prefer a change
    Guisborough
    Hamsterley
    Llandegla – probably a bit far

badblood
    Free Member

Hamsterley has some prety good new stuff. You will need a guide for the off piste stuff as you will at Guisborough, you could try Stainburn. Allthough I reckon Dalby would be your best bet

thefallguy
    Free Member

Best to try your new bike on something you're familiar with so you can feel the differences and tweak as needed, then treat yourself to a weekend at Kirroughtree

geoffj

Lee Quarry?

samuri
    Free Member

looking for flowing singletrack, pref technical bits, rocks roots, hills and descents!

Have you considered Nidderdale or Calderdale? I hear they're jam packed full of stuff like that.

grumm
    Free Member

From the sounds of what you are after I'm not sure a trail centre fits the bill that well.

Lee Quarry or Gisburn might be worth a look though.

kilgoretrout
    Free Member

I'd second Calderdale, there's some great riding from Hebden Bridge, there's 3 or 4 trains an hour on a Saturday from Leeds for about £4 return. Most stuff marked on the OS map as bridleway is rideable and enjoyable. Along the canal towards Tod, then up to Mytholm and onto bridleway that is signposted 'Jack Bridge' hang a right where the path splits after a mile, and then steeply up past Lumnb Bank to road at Slack, short road bit into cobbled Heptonstall, then take a left past the Cross Inn, for an interesting descent that if you follow it all the way down takes you to the Blue Pig in Midgehole, Hardcastle Crags, is fairly technical in places, trees, small drop-offs, and good fun. Then you can climb out of Hardcastle Crags on bridleway and have loads of options once you get up the long hill – if you wanted a longer day I'd recommend heading left through Shackelton until you eventually come out on the road near Widdop, head along Widdop on bw and up the steep hill (bike-able) then there's a great long descent which is fast but has plenty of interest. Loads of ways to circle back to Hebden from there (but do avoid the track marked on the map by the windfarms on the long causeway that contours the hill before switching back down into Portsmouth, it's basically a bog and no fun at all).

Anyway lots of options.

seven
    Free Member

I'd agree with thefallguy. Try it out on a route you know well so you can assess the difference.

mt
    Free Member

A trail centre. Get up to Swaledale.

woody2000

Ride your local trails for new bit testing – "The trail is the constant, the component is the variable" as quoted in ST recently

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘please recommend me a trail centre to try out my new bike’ is closed to new replies.