Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Please recommend me a tablet for a grumpy Luddite pensioner
  • ElShalimo

My Elderley relative wants a tablet but they do not have an email account.

So I guess I have 2 questions:
    1 – can you run a tablet, android, Apple or windows without an email account?
    2 – what would be a good tablet for a beginner to use?

I’m sure that there must be some STWers out there who’ve had to help an Elderley relative with a similar outlook.
    Thanks

mogrim

If you do get one, set it up with an email account you control – that way when inevitably they forget the password or whatever it’ll be sent to you… And when setting them up an email account, use their complete name or similar – don’t use anything clever!

Most tablets will be fine, just make sure you set everything up for them first, and expect unending calls for help…

nickjb
    Free Member

You will need email but it’s easy to set up and they don’t need to use the email account. To be useful i’d say they’d want some kind of networked apps. E.g. Facebook for kids pictures or Skype. Should be ok to make a fairly plain home page with the useful apps.

easygirl

If you want it easy and hassle free… Ipad

My 78 year old mum loves hers now after 6 months use, I find they don’t crash and are very easy to use

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ipad every time. Very intuitive to learn how to use too.

ElShalimo

They have a Win7 laptop already but they now want a tablet

PePPeR

I’d say an ipad too, I have a grumpy 83 year old who just got a Nokia windows phone and is not getting on with it at all, he only went and bought it because he thought the talking thing would be good for him and his Alzheimers.

ElShalimo

Thanks for the advice

tonyd

+1 iPad.

My stepdad got one for my mum last Xmas (I had to shop for it of course) and she’s rarely off of it now, Facebook and email plus god knows what else. Easy to use so I get very few phone calls, as opposed to the almost weekly ones about her PC before that. My step dad is particularly please as mum now spends all evening on it instead of talking to him, so he gets to sleep on the sofa without the constant tutting.

They even went out and bought a new printer recently to replace the one I bought them 15 years ago. I didn’t find out til she told me it was all set up and working – plugged it in, turned it on, and the iPad found it straight away (as would other devices no doubt).

Agree with the setting up an email account you can control.

aracer
    Free Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a tablet for a grumpy Luddite pensioner’ is closed to new replies.