Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Please recommend me a good puncture proof tyre for my commuter.
  • richc
    Free Member

After 4 punctures on 10 rides (double one today, woohoo) I think I need to get some puncture proof/resistant tyres.

Which ones do people recommend? They will be for a road bike so need to be 700c (the wheels are Shimano R500 if it matters) current tyres are conti ultra races, with lots and lots of holes in.

mrmo
    Free Member

Where are you riding? The only rome I find a tyre punctures frequently is when it is time to be replaced.

Peyote
    Free Member

Can’t recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres highly enough for puncture resistance. Not the lightest or cheapest, but for commuting I won’t go for owt else.

B_Leach
    Free Member

Conti gatorskins FTW. After switching from the heavy lumps of rubber that are schwalbe M+, gators are a revelation, with a decent amount of protection to boot 😀

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for Conti Gatorskins. Not had a puncture since I switched.

richc
    Free Member

My ride to work, is on the Bristol to Bath cyclepath, at the Bristol end there are a lot of broken bottles etc, hence the punctures.

soobalias
    Free Member

ive got gatorskins on the road commuter, v happy.

DenDennis
    Free Member

continental sport or travel contact FTW! – 1year puncture guarantee, inc replacement tyre+tube

nickjb
    Free Member

I used to ride the Bristol end of the path every day I can’t recall a single puncture so it might be a tyre issue. I used Spesh Nimbuses but I don’t know if they do a 700c. I think I had three punctures in 4 years.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

good experiences with contis here a well

debaser

Schwalbe Marathon are good but the plusses are betterer.

Doing 2000-3000 miles I think I’m on an average of one puncture per year, which for the few extra grammes, I can definitely cope with.

kimbers

schwable marathon plus here, bulletproof

montylikesbeer

Conti Gatorskins on my winter trainer, superb tyre.

Don’t forget tyre pressure at the correct level is a must (obvious I know but worth mentioning).

I have my gatorskins at 120 with not one puncture, which around rossendale is a revelation.

Militant_biker

Another Conti user – I think mine are Ultragator Duraskins. The only problem I had was a piece of fencing wire going in the top and out the sidewall – that was a wasted tyre! The rubber compound on them seems to be a bit more winter friendly than the old Specialized ones I used.

Schwalbe Marathons are the bomb, but can be a really tight fit on certain rims.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Marathon Plus here too. They also have a continuous band of relective material on each side wall which is, imho, an excellent additional peice of safety on a commuter (or any bike for that matter).

Riden them on road in France whilst touring and on my commute into London. No punctures.

Also used them on off road as a Summer tyre on the North Downs. Running road pressures again no puctures.

acjim
    Free Member

in my search for a decent (not too heavy) puncture proof tyre I’ve tried:

Spec Armadillos – very resistant, but quite heavy & dead feeling
    Schwalbe Durano DD evo – fast & light but didn’t last long (<3k miles)
    Conti Gatorskins – recent, seem ok – a bit dead feeling
    Conti GP 4 seasons – lovely feel (amazing grip), light but not as puncture proof as some of the others
    conti sports – naf
    bontrager racelight – v.naf

richc
    Free Member

thanks for your help everyone, I will try the gator skins.

Markie
    Free Member

Dr Sludge tubes made all the difference to me, FWIW.

richc
    Free Member

Well I had my first ride in on the Gator skins today as they turned up on Friday, and after 20 miles, I have to say jesus they feel draggy compared to the Conti Ultra Races, I think I am in two gears easier in general, which has added a few minutes to my commute.

I guess it will help my fitness though 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a good puncture proof tyre for my commuter.’ is closed to new replies.