Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Please recommend me a DH frame!
  • strangertothelight
    Free Member

Haven’t been on here in a while, but wanted to pick your brains about a new build.

I have decided that I want to build up a fun and responsive DH bike. I don’t want to break the bank, but I also don’t want to hold back and don’t want an absolute tank. I’d like something that is reasonably understated but also reeks of quality.

I know that I want the Fox 40 forks, but other than that I have not decided on too many of the other components.

If anyone can recommend a good frame that might fit what I am looking for, please make some suggestions! I feel completely out of my depth here as I have never built a DH bike before!

Initially, I have been looking at things like:
    Cove Shocker
    Evil Revolt – bit uneasy about this one because of stories of the frames cracking

Nukeproof scalp with a ccdb ?

Or if your looking for a full bike how about one of these

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/de/Bikes/Tues2.0ltd-2013?x48e50=52keteli9r21lrh00nicfnr73fpihi1q

An absolute bargain

racingsnail
    Free Member

I used to have a Commencal Supreme DH (V2) and loved it and had been eyeing up the V3 for a while but kind of fell out of love with DH so couldn’t really justify getting another. If I was to get a DH bike again it would be that.

pinhead
    Free Member

nukeproof scalp

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I second the scalp, great bike

How about a TR 450

faceplanter
    Free Member

I have a ’11 Cove Shocker. If you’re near FOD 2nd December I am down there for the mini DH, you’re welcome to take her for a spin.
    Tim.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

V10C. Canfield Jedi.

Depends on what your budget is and if you want new or second hand.

Lots of racers are selling 2012 season bikes ready for next season at this time of year so you can bag a bargain.

I know of at least one full build V10c going for under 3.5k

zangolin
    Free Member

Scalp

matt1986
    Free Member

The new demo is sweet the sworks carbon frame just the bollocks, the norco arum is class as well with the gravity tune or a V10 can’t go wrong with any of them

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Failed to mention that I would preferably like a new frame, but would consider an immaculate used frame.
    I also was hoping to get something a little less run-of-the-mill, something a bit less common.

goodgrief
    Free Member

i’d love to build a zerode, they’ve made the new ones lighter and they’re so quiet through the rough.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Scalp just seems such a perfect match for what you’ve described. Doesn’t need to be the CCDB. In fact I’d suggest you go with the stock vivid, but upgrade the spring.

The scalp frame is a work of art for the price, the linkage is the best i’ve ever tried, it’s planted, it’s maneuverable, it’s fun and confidence building.

The CCDB is hard to set up and unforgiving if set up incorrectly, if anything goes wrong with it you’re buggered too because the internals aren’t exactly user friendly.

Something that rides brilliantly and is good value is never uncommon is it? You either buy something uncommon that fills a niche with particular riding style, i.e. the zerode or a gambler or something but lose out on the dh performance. What you’re asking for – fairly cheap, very fast AND unusual is pretty much an impossible task unless you buy 2nd hand, but you want an immaculate frame, so you have to compromise somewhere.

Having said that – K9 are very good frames, and are uncommon. They are expensive though. Or get a custom built Katipo – but they weigh a tonne and you have to wait ages.

A lot of the aston lads ride K9’s as they were tested there – and they are very, very fast if used right. http://www.k9industries.com/

Then of course v10’s are stunning frames, but expensive.

Then theres the mondraker summum which is again very good, but very slack and probably more suited to the flat out bike parks than technical british trails.

Lapierre as well. Con is expense.

Or the new gt bikes which the athertons are rocking.

Yep spot on mr nukeproof

If you want to stand out in the lift queue get the frame anodized pink 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

The gt fury is about 5 years old now!
    The scalp has just been replaced.
    Crc have Turner DHRs pretty cheap.
    Devinci Wilson?
    Yeti 303wc?
    Morewood Makulu?

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

The gt fury is about 5 years old now!

There is a new fury – why would the athertons be riding a 5 year old bike? lol. And the scalp has not been replaced, it has been re-stickered because people hated the graphics on the 2012 model.

Back end on the DHR is one of the worst I’ve tried 🙁

Wilson yes.

303wc yes.

Makulu yes. All good suggestions, but I’d avoid the DHR *personally*

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Rorschach – Memb

nukeproofriding – Member
    And the scalp has not been replaced, it has been re-stickered because people hated the graphics on the 2012 model.

I think he means the Pulse.

ianv
    Free Member

Love the bit about “don’t want to break the bank but I want a new boutique frame and a set of fox 40’s” 😆

Obviously no 40’s and size dependant but this shows what you can get for a lot less.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1190752/

Rorschach
    Free Member

Edit.The scalp has been ‘superseded’ (by the pulse).The scalp is retained as their ‘value for money’ dh bike.The fury was launched in 2008…so 4 years old,my bad.A replacement is on the way….allegedly.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry I should have guessed you meant the Pulse. Probably great value as well, but you probably wouldn’t get your hands on one until march or april next year, and even then, they aren’t tried and tested by the general public. Remember the evil revolt launch? Great reviews from everyone – production frame came out and everyone’s swing arm bearings and bushings were destroyed within a month or so with twisted swing arms and all that jazz. So scalp is the safe bet, but the pulse will probably be a stunner.

The new fury was launched this year. They’re called the GT Fury Alloy 1.0 And the GT Alloy 2.0 which is black with better components – Thess have all new frame and Geometry, whereas the renewed Carbon versions like Gee Atherton’s share many of the previous model Fury’s geometry but is lighter and slacker?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Geometry is identical…they just fitted them with anglesets (and the Athertons use offset bushes and shocks with machined bodies to shorten i-to-i whilst keeping the same stroke).
    There is rumoured to be an entirely new bike developed in conjunction with the Athertons (it was part of the deal when they signed for Gt).
    (One of the mechanics lives up the road).

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

The Geometry on the Gt Fury Alloy that came out this year is not identical to any of the old models.

The GT team using the carbon Fury have the old geometry – they use angle headsets and offset shock bushings to achieve the revised geometry.

The new GT Fury Alloy has a 63.5 headangle as opposed to the original 65 degrees. The BB is lower. Top tube and chainstays are shorter.

Yeah I heard they’re working on a new bike too. But as above, i’ve been told categorically, a number of times by different people that the geometry on the Fury Alloy is not the same.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You do know that any DH worth having won’t stay immaculate for more than about 15 seconds? Nothing reeks worse than having a bike that outclasses your riding.

Old 224 + £50 worth of powdercoating, (if you want to be a tart about it). Tatty set of boxxers treated to a service and the right springs. = more uplift respect than being a slave to fashion.

If you’re totally set on looking like mummy and daddy still buy everything you ask for then A transition TR450 or Morewood Makulu are respectable options. (but then you should really aspire to get a bike that has a lot of podiums)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a DH frame!’ is closed to new replies.