Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Please recommend me a cloud type app/service for music (quite specific!)
  • DezB
    Free Member

Need to:

1. Upload music files from my PC (as a playlist)
    2. Play (stream) the playlist on a Android phone
    3. Download as a playlist onto my android phone (eg. to play in the car)
    4. Download individual files onto my android phone
    5. Simple (for someone else, I’m actually quite clever, me)
    6. (For free)

Such a thing? Google drive almost does it, but doesn’t seem to have a playlist option, unless I’m missing it.

buck53

Hhhmm, struggling with that one.

Google music does 2-6, not sure about 1 as I’ve not had any need to do that. Doubletwist does 1 and 3-6 but definitely not 2.

Just a thought, doesn’t point 3 negate 2 and 4?

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers buck..
    Google can play playlists, but only of purchased tracks then?

2. would mean don’t have to download if don’t need to, so not essential, but should be possible, surely?
    4. In case the whole playlist not wanted offline

nemesis
    Free Member

Google music – I must admit I haven’t tried playlists but I did think it could do that.

You can pick which tracks are on your phone/tablet/etc or just leave them all in the cloud and play from anywhere with an internet connection. Works really well for me.

prettygreenparrot

get a Synology box? Although this definitely violates point 6.

http://www.synology.com/en-uk/dsm/index/multimedia

apps

Stoner
    Free Member

google music does 1-6

you can play uploaded music in a playlist. You can save a playlist locally (sync it) or play it over a data network streamed.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Yep google music does 1-6, I use it a fair bit, and if you have under 20k songs it’s ideal.

Once thing I haven’t figured out is how to stream to an airplay receiver but it’s free so I can’t complain.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What’s the core problem you’re trying to solve here? The reason I ask is that everything you’ve described has been possible for years using stuff like iTunes and Windows Media Player i.e. you have a load of music and playlists on your PC and want to make (some of) it available to a mobile device. I am making a huge assumption iTune and the like will work with an Android phone.

If “the cloud” part of it is the crux, why?

ecksee
    Free Member

Would be worth looking at Amazon Cloud, seems to do everything on your list and has an Android app

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers for the pointers chaps. I guess Google music is different to Google Drive that I have been trying, so will look at that tonight. The actual purpose is to share files with someone else simply.. By us both using the same account 🙂

skids
    Free Member

last time i checked google music lets you upload like 10000 tracks or something( don’t have to be purchased) and you can play them from anywhere eg ipad, phone etc

DezB
    Free Member

Pooh, Google Music doesn’t work for my grand plan as we both already are signed into our phones with Google accounts, so can’t share an account.
    Doubt you can share songs with someone else can you?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Even if you’re using a single google account on 2 devices, it only allows you to play music on 1 device at once, it’s pretty locked down. Shame really as a multiple speaker setup would be quite a nice feature.

Doesn’t Android allow you to use more than a single account or some sort of quick account switching?

How many songs do you need to share?

I think a Mega account allows something like 50gb, but I haven’t tried streaming from it, I usually use Mega for archiving video footage; however even if you can stream straight from it, I doubt it supports playlists.

muggomagic

Pooh, Google Music doesn’t work for my grand plan as we both already are signed into our phones with Google accounts, so can’t share an account.
    Doubt you can share songs with someone else can you?

With Play music you can upload the files onto your account and then upload them onto another’s account. That way you wouldn’t need to share an account. I set mine and Mrs muggo’s play music account (seperate accounts) to auto upload any music that I add to iTunes, it will also upload any playlists that you create in iTunes too.

Link below is the Play music “getting started”

Play Music Help section

DezB
    Free Member

This sounds like good news muggomagic. 🙂 Will read up on it.

How many songs do you need to share?
    It’s not going to be masses of files, just some stuff I think my girly friend will be interested in.

muggomagic

I recently created a separate folder for Mrs Muggo’s music as she has particularly bad taste in music and I didn’t want her rubbish appearing on my account. So anything of mine she does like I just copy and paste to the “add to play” folder (set as the auto upload folder) and then google play music uploads it straight to her account.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you need to know her account details (ie. password) to do it?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Google has just bought Songza, so I think Google are very serious about taking on Spotify so I guess curated playlists etc will be coming

DezB
    Free Member

… taking on Spotify so I guess curated playlists etc will be coming

..with bloody adverts every few seconds!

muggomagic

She would need to add that folder to her play account auto upload folder, but other than that it wouldn’t be a problem.
    I should say that we both use the same laptop with separate log ins, so it’s easy for me to just copy and paste the files into the folder which is under her log in.

nemesis
    Free Member

.with bloody adverts every few seconds!

Shouldn’t be on google music since the whole point is that you own all the tracks on that.

I really like the instant playlists based on a track with Google Music.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The actual purpose is to share files with someone else simply.. By us both using the same account

😆 😳 still don’t follow. You can sync music/playlists/photos/movies etc from your computer to any number of devices. This is how stuff like iTunes has worked for years. You don’t need a Cloud service to do this. What am I missing? Does Android not do this or something?

nemesis
    Free Member

Well, not using iTunes is a big plus 🙂

Not sure about iTunes but with GM, I can log in to any computer and play my music. I don’t have to actually download, install or sync anything.

DezB
    Free Member

You can sync music/playlists/photos/movies etc from your computer to any number of devices.

iTunes – I’ve got a iTunes library and iPod/iPhone/iPad that sync to it. Her device isn’t in my house, so would need the internet (or cloud) for her to access the music and listen on her Android phone. Wouldn’t want her to have to rely on iTunes. (She hasn’t got a computer). (As an aside – iTunes wouldn’t load on my PC last time I tried – nightmare for me!!)
    Was really hoping for something different to what we’ve already got.. This may not be needed though!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I actually use Spotify Premium much more than iTunes, but OP wants this FOC.

Maybe iTunes Match does what you want OP, for £25 a year I think

DezB
    Free Member

Deezer looks promising. Almost has a good name too 😉 (ugh, not free)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used Deezer for a while. Other than a few obscurities it offered nothing significant over Spotify. It may be better now.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a cloud type app/service for music (quite specific!)’ is closed to new replies.