• This topic has 37 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by fillary-spam.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Please recommend me a bottle of Whiskey….
  • PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Its my brothers stag do in a few weeks time and we are doing a whiskey tasting session on one of the evenings (he loves Scottish whiskey). I need to bring a nice bottle, don’t want to spend a bomb but want something he will enjoy. Any advice? I don’t have a clue….

13thfloormonk

I don’t know your brother, and I don’t really know whisky other than ‘what I like’, but I’m loving my bottle of Smokehead at the moment, as the name suggests it’s very smokey (also known as ‘anti-septicy’) but it’s great, the woman who sold it to me recommended it on the basis that ‘you’ll smack your lips in three hours time and still taste it’.

The bottle/tin/branding is all a bit different too, think hard rock and skulls rather than the usual sort of whisky branding.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Oooooo 🙂

ads678

Buy the cheapest shit you can find and secretly keep giving that to your brother while the rest of you enjoy the good stuff.

Stag do’s are not for being nice to the stag!

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Smokey sounds good. He like the really Petey ones like Laphroaig.

dantsw13

When is the stag? I’m off to Japan in a couple of weeks, and can bring you back a bottle of my favourite “Nikka Whisky from the barrell” a cask strength Japanese whisky. £50 over here, I can get it for £20 ish plus postage, and I can pretty much guarantee he won’t have tried it before. It’s well rated on here.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Hi Dan. Amazing offer, thank you, stag is 1st April so a bit soon but I will check out the Nikka Whiskey. £50 is just within budget so could be a good option.

in other news I just found a 70cl bottle for £35,000!! I’m in shock, who actually buys that?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

As a slightly different option, why not go on to Whiskypurveyor or Whiskyexchange and get a number of sample bottles? you could get a load of samples from each of the regions or distilleries so that he/you could get an idea of what you all liked.

dantsw13

Even cheaper!

Price has dropped since last time I looked here – only £33 now! Highly recommend. I bring a lot back for big whisky drinking mates.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

That’s a nice idea in regards to the sample bottles, I will take a look.

fifeandy
    Free Member

If he likes Peaty/Smokey ones, then Ardbeg could be worth a go, although its too much for me.
    Talisker is a good option.
    Highland Park and Jura Superstition have a hint of Smokeyness to them without it being overpowering.

myopic
    Free Member

Plumz, you may think it’s pedantry, but it will make a big difference to your searches if you spell it right! Whisky (no E) is Scottish – Whiskey is Irish…

I know you can get Japanese Whisky – some of it is very good, don’t know about Japanese Whiskey

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Well that’s a new one to me in regards to the spelling, noted.

myopic
    Free Member

Also tending to smoky but coming in a range of prices you’ll find Bowmore might fit the bill

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m off to Japan in a couple of weeks, and can bring you back a bottle of my favourite “Nikka Whisky from the barrell”

My son got me some of that for a birthday couple of years ago.

Effin lovely!

CHB

If you like Islay smoky whisky, then try a blended one called “Big Pete”. Had a bottle of this from a recent whisky festival. If you like Islay then you will love it.

Cougar

If he likes Peaty/Smokey ones, then Ardbeg could be worth a go, although its too much for me.
    Talisker is a good option.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Talisker (used to?) do a Distiller’s Edition, which is wonderful.

Whisky (no E) is Scottish – Whiskey is Irish…

As a rule of thumb, whiskey is Irish and American, whisky is pretty much “everything else.” There are exceptions with odd distilleries though.

The story goes that the Irish used a different spelling to distance themselves from what was then viewed to be inferior Scotch whisky (and America kept the Irish spelling via Irish settlers).

Cougar

I know you can get Japanese Whisky – some of it is very good, don’t know about Japanese Whiskey

I’ve yet to have a bad one, TBF.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Highland Park gets another vote.

I’d go 12yr Caol Ila or two bottles of Jamesons 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

whiskey is Irish and American

On a tangent, do the Yanks make any “proper” whisky/whiskey? Or is it all sweet bourbon?

obelix
    Free Member

The Lagavulin 16 is so good that I thought after the bottle was finished that I’d ruined whisky for myself forever!

Reason being that it was so nice that I didn’t think I’d be able to enjoy any others after tasting it, and it was £40 – £50 a bottle so wouldn’t be able to afford it very often.

But then I found the Aberlour 12, which is probably the best bang for your buck out there. Relatively inexpensive (£25-ish), and tastes like it could cost £50.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

he loves Scottish whiskey

Impossible, the Scots make whisky. The Irish make whiskey. 😉

skink2020

Order a bottle of Tobermory 12yr old or the glenlivet 15yr French oak. They are both still available and both discontinued.

tinybits
    Free Member

That Nikka is bloody lovely. I got a bottle passing an off licence in Kensington.
    Smokey, I love an Ardbeg. Otherwise, why not go for an English Whisky, just to be different. My Dad bought me a bottle of The English Smokey whisky from the highlands of Norfolk. Very good but don’t drink after Nikka as it tastes like hoof wash!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/st-georges-distillery/the-english-smokey-whisky/

lion
    Free Member

This Australian whisky is a bit different https://www.houseofmalt.co.uk/product/starward/
    It’s very good, quite highly sherried.
    Some very good Bourbons and rarer whisky’s on the above house of malt site too.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Thank you for every ones help. I have just brought a bottle of the Nikka from the barrel and also now feel slightly more educated on all things Whiskey and Whisky so perhaps I can even join the discussions whilst tasting rather than just nodding and agreeing.

For the record I don’t really like whisky and I don’t really drink…

🙂

zzjabzz
    Free Member

If anyone else needs an idea for the do, then Bowmore is at £25 in Sainsburys at the moment. A little bit more sophisticated than Laphraoig…

shadowfax

THis remains the nicest drop I’ve ever tasted.

£50

Daffy

I prefer Hibiki 17.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bowmore is at £25 in Sainsburys at the moment. A little bit more sophisticated than Laphraoig…

Now there’s a provocative statement!

I love both, but some might say Bowmore was a little less complex than the big L.

THis remains the nicest drop I’ve ever tasted.

Interesting, I’d like to try more Jap whisky, but really we need a list of all the varieties you’ve tasted.

😉

ransos
    Free Member

Impossible, the Scots make whisky. The Irish make whiskey.

No, that’s not true. Both spellings are correct, and it’s merely convention that denotes usage. Scotch is sold as “whiskey” in some markets.

Cougar

But then I found the Aberlour 12, which is probably the best bang for your buck out there. Relatively inexpensive (£25-ish), and tastes like it could cost £50.

My best “bang for your buck” dram is the Benromach Organic. It’s around £35, can be had for less if you shop around, and it is superb. Beats many others at twice the price.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If you can find it Old Perth is a fine whisky (blended malt) at around £25-£30 bottle and the Sherry Finish is superb at a couple of quids more.
    Mortlach (Speyside) is another cracker, the 15 yo is nice https://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/mortlach-whisky-distillery/

dmorts

I need to bring a nice bottle, don’t want to spend a bomb but want something he will enjoy. Any advice?

15yr old from Glenfarclas or the 105. As it’s a stag do, serve the 105 neat to your brother 😀 (it’s 60% ABV and usually a bit of water is needed).

dantsw13

I would have recommended the Nikka Taketsuru 21yo that I have in my cupboard, but I think that retails in the U.K. for£100+ Mine came from Narita Airport DUty Free for £27!!! Not seen it anywhere in Japan since.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Now there’s a provocative statement!

I love both, but some might say Bowmore was a little less complex than the big L.

You’re right, but complexity != sophistication…

Giallograle

Highland Park 12 is good value
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask amongst the Islay ones
    Springbank

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Laphroaig QC is currently going for £24 if you have a Costco membership…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a bottle of Whiskey….’ is closed to new replies.