Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • please recommend a 10" tablet
  • ElShalimo

Thinking of getting one for my parents but not sure which one.
    Budget £250 ish but will go higher for the “right” one. It’ll be used for surfing at home, watching films on long train journeys, reading downloaded papers/articles etc. No preference for android or Apple but must be easy to use and for me to maintain
    Any recommendations ?

Are there any good impartial review websites out there?

fadda

I’m writing this on a Nexus 10, which is flippin’ great.

I err towards android, for no justifiable reason at all because, despite all of the reams of argument, there is very little difference for “most” people.

No issues at all with either my Nexus, or my son’s 7″ one.

ElShalimo

I prefer android but it’s not for me. I reckon they don’t care as long as it does what they want it to
    Is there a facetime equivalent app on android? It might be useful for talking to grumpy grand kids

As I’m buying I want value for money.

PrinceJohn

I prefer android, but the older generation won’t want the faff, I’d recommend iPad all the way

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there a facetime equivalent app on android?

There are plenty (most invented before it got called that 🙂
    Skype works well, that and Google hangouts

jon1973
    Free Member

I prefer android, but the older generation won’t want the faff

I never understand why people think Android is a ‘faff’ or somehow only any good if you’re a geek.

fadda

Yep, Skype works fine for me (tbh, only used it twice!).

And Jon, I agree. I’m not faff-tolerant, myself…

ElShalimo

I’m sure they could cope with Skype

stufive
    Free Member

A 10″ tablet you say..thats gonna take some swallowing :0

jon1973
    Free Member

Just be thankful it’s not a suppository.

Stoner
    Free Member

My fusty old pater has got his hands on a Nexus 10 and is getting on with it OK, despite the whole “dont like technology” act he plays up to.

He’s picking up the basics as he goes and Ive started him of with some useful apps etc. He uses it for the odd email, web browsing in the kitchen, looking up answers on Wiki to Saturday Telegraph crossword clues etc.

Id love one myself (I have a Nexus 4) but I cant really justify it.

reminds me of:

I’m at a neighbour’s house party, the time is last summer, and one of the older partygoers is about to tell me that some new-fangled technology is too much for him to cope with now that he has reached the age of a hundred and ninety-eight or something. “In fact… it’s still in the box!” he cries, in the mistaken belief that this is funny. I humour him by laughing as if I hadn’t heard the line before.

Naturally, I suggest that he would have more success if he takes the iPad out of its box, read the instructions and – what the hell, let’s throw caution to the wind – switch the **** on. But it’s all useless: what he really wants is for me to do it for him. So I feign interest and offer to set up his iPad at some point in the near future, at which he feigns surprise and accepts with feigned gratitude
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/29/something_for_the_weekend_technology_rapairman/

mcmoonter
    Free Member

looking up answers on Wiki to Saturday Telegraph crossword clues etc

Laughs at this, my mother’s only interaction with my iPad is with the Times for the Times solutions and her disbelief of those who can crack it in under ten minutes. It takes at least five to read the clues through.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I prefer android, but the older generation won’t want the faff, I’d recommend iPad all the way

[sarcasm bit]yes because we are always having to take it apart and fiddle with stuff with screwdrivers rather than go and plead with the spotty oyk at the genius bar (which is way coooooler BTW peeps)[/sarcasm bit]

Both are out the box fine.

ElShalimo

Other than Nexus 10, Any chance of some actual recommendations?
    😯

jon1973
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I love mine.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I know it’s not 10″, but I’ve recently bought myself an iPad mini (we have a fair few Apple products in the house and have inadvertently got drawn into their ecosystem) and really rate it, the 7.9″ screen is big enough for most things, and I prefer it to my kids’ iPads, it’s much lighter and hence easier to use one handed.

For older folk who may not be as strong as they were ( plus possibly arthritis etc) I reckon light weight would be a big benefit, plus as has been said, Apple’s locked-down ness, while a negative to many, is probably a boon to the less tech- savvy.

stufive
    Free Member

love my ipad

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a Nexus 10 – it’s ace.

willard

My dad (69) just bought himself a Galaxy Note 10.1 so that he can be lazy in his retirement. To be honest, I’ve played with it and it’s pretty damned good. Certainly the equal of the iPad for things like films and internet.

I’d played with a Motorola Xoom and it was a huge step up from my Allwinner A10-based 7″ tablet, but had battery problems. Technically it is still under warranty, so I really should send it off and get it fixed. It’s fast, but has no external storage (uSD, etc).

Of the two, I’d go for a Note 10.1, but the Nexus 10 is pretty damned good too. Bloke at work swears by his.

brewking
    Free Member

I’ve got a Note 10.1 and it really is very good. Nice and fast, good for watching videos etc.. I like it more than my mates I pad 3.

Got it from tesco with £50 cash back but think that is over now?

Cougar

I’m about to be selling an iPad 2, if second-hand is an option?

karnali
    Free Member

could be interested cougar if the op is not mail in profile

patriotpro
    Free Member

2nd hand would be the only decent option.

In which case Cougar’s Ipad or Nexus: Own the ipad 2 and know a couple of Nexus 7 owners.

Both really good.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t this k the Nexus 10 is getting a fair representation. I’m on mine note and its brilliant.

The only sight problem I have had with it is that I can’t transfer films from iTunes. However that isn’t Google or apples fault.

iainc

On a nexus 7 here……. The wife’s new iPad 4 is heaps better though

jon1973
    Free Member

Got it from tesco with £50 cash back but think that is over now?

I think the cashback offer was a Samsung thing. It finished at the end of December I think.

ElShalimo

Cougar – thanks but they want something new with a warranty
    I’ll have a good look at the Samsung and the Nexus 10
    Cheers

khani
    Free Member

I’m old, and a technological cripple. And I love my iPad 😀
    its Tuesday y’know, oooh me knees…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Let me know who sells new Nexus 10s for £250 😉

ElShalimo

So then where is the cheapest place to buy a nexus 10?
    Or can you only get them direct from the Play store?

watsontony
    Free Member

IanW
    Free Member

Ipad mini – Not 10″ obviously but i reckon its the best available at the mo and just about on budget.

ElShalimo

Change of mind, iPad Mini is now top of the list
    Only reservation is the hi-res one on its way.
    Anyone know when the high res version is being released?

spacemonkey

Anyone know when the high res version is being released?

Does anyone outside of the Apple hierarchy even know?

Do a Google and you’ll find answers hinting at anytime from June onwards. If you really want one now then I’d say buy the Mini then sell it when the retina version comes out (and buy that of course). You won’t take much of a hit.

woody2000

I just got a 64GB BB Playbook for £129, and it’s lovely. Doesn’t have the app content of Android/iOS, but as a web browsing/e-reading/media player it’s spot on. Very nicely made, nice screen, good battery life and the BB OS is very nice to use.

Linky

edd

Anyone tried an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9″? £229 sounds like a bargain.

freddyg
    Free Member

My missus has an ipad2. I bought both my kids 7″ Samsung Galaxy tab 2’s for Christmas. I have an Android phone and loads of other kit (iOS stuff, Linux, Micro$oft etc, etc).

My Dad (aged 72) wanted a “device” to take with him on his recent month-long trip to visit family in Oz, so came to me for advice. I took him to PC world to have a look at the vast array of “stuff” on offer. He had a play with them all (tablets, netbooks, notebooks etc) and bought the Nexus 7.

Aside from a small charging problem when he was on The Ghan, it’s been brilliant. All the apps he could ever want and skype worked like a dream.

nickdavies

Get the iPad Mini. No-one knows when the new one will appear, and as soon as that comes out there will be a new one on the horizon.

I’ve just got one, it’s great. I wouldn’t wait for the high res option, it’s going to be thicker and heavier, and it’s a nice size now and has a more than good enough screen. Easy to use and apps for everything.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘please recommend a 10" tablet’ is closed to new replies.