Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Please put these frames in order of rear end steel spring feel
  • julioflo
    Free Member

For various reasons i’m reverting to my old Mk1 PA. But may be tempted to swap it for an Inbred or 2nd hand Soul. Reason for this is that the Mk1 PA doesn’t really have that magic steel springy feel.

So does an Inbred have more steel springiness than the Mk1 PA? If so does the Soul have more of this spring than an Inbred? Really?

This has no doubt been covered before, I apologise.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d guesstimate that the Soul is a lot more springy than the PA, and Inbred slightly moreso only.

Northwind

Inbred is a lump frankly. Nice enough handling bikes but really not that much of the spring/liveliness that everyone expects steel to have. Haven’t ridden a mk1 Prince Albert.

Soul is very much what the marketing man says steel should feel like, springy without being soggy.

toys19
    Free Member

Don’t know the others but the inbred is like riding a slab of marble compared to my BFe.

wwaswas

I’d say the Soul has more spring than an Inbred, ime. Not ridden a PA.

julioflo
    Free Member

Crikey – not looking good for the Inbred! The Mk1 PA is surprisingly stiff at the rear. But i’m only comparing this to an old Steel Stumpjumper I have, which i’m hoping to get nearer to regarding feel. So looking like a 2nd hand Soul it is…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Comparing the Inbred and 456 to an 853 Genesis Altitude, the Altitude was much <insert steel stereotype here> than the On Ones. I was always under the impression that the Altitude was supposed to be a very good poor mans Soul too, so take from that what you will regarding the Soul.

Or get a Latitude as they’re now called.

wwaswas

funnily enough, I have a 2nd hand Cotic soul for sale. £80 posted and it’s yours. look in my history for the ad if you’re interested.

Northwind

julioflo – Member

Crikey – not looking good for the Inbred!

IMO my mk1 Scandal rode more like you expect from steel than the Bred does- if you blindfold tested people I’d happily bet 9/10 would get it the wrong way round, once they got out of hospital.

butcher

No experience of riding them myself, but the Inbred is bog standard cromo. Whereas the likes of the Soul are Reynolds 853. Though I believe they did do a limited run of 853 inbreds. It would be interesting to see how they compare. Even if you’re never likely to get your hands on one.

HermanShake
    Free Member

In my brief experience on a mate’s 456 the rear is duller than a PA (1 or 2). I currently have a Blue Pig X, better than the PA in numerous ways one of which is it that it’s quite twangy; strongly recommended!

Souls have a very loyal following but would be a step down in gnar from a PA. If this doesn’t matter that bargain up there may be worth a peek ^.

I think some steels are just a bit more real 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

From your list I have only ridden a soul and an inbred. The inbred was rubbish by comparison, it felt dull and sluggish. It was a mates who sold it to buy a soul. I have a BFe myself and its an absolute joy to ride/jump. Thinking of selling it shortly to build up a soul, purely down to my age and the lack of jump I ride now. I wouldn’t even consider an inbred as the two I’ve ridden have felt crap by comparison.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Wwaswas have you got any pics of the soul? I may be intrested, couldn’t see a pic in the ad/link

julioflo
    Free Member

Wwaswas would like to see some pics of the Soul you mention please. It is definitely of interest. My email address is floydjt at hotmail dot com.
    Thanks

wwaswas

King ocelot &julioflo – have a look on this thread – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-soul-frame-pace-rc41-fork-shimano-xtmavic-719-wheelset pic there plus link to others.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Rear end spring on a rigid steel frame?

Have you forgotten to take your medication?

julioflo
    Free Member

Wwaswas Many thanks for the link. Think i’ll leave this one due to the repair etc. But the offer was appreciated.

wwaswas

No worries. Argos’ll fit a new stay for about £60 I think. [edit they don’t list this repair without abridge for some reason. Was given this as a price by the frame builders use locally anyway ]

eyerideit
    Free Member

Have you thought about a Sanderson? My Soloist is really nice to ride – comparable in springyness to my Explosif.

The 853 Life frame is really nice, same geo as mine, so the handling should be as good if not better as my Soloist is just the ChroMo version.

Slightly Cheaper than a Soul and a bit more exclusive.

matther01
    Free Member

2nd hand Soul in the classifieds right now.

matther01
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to say it’s posted by ‘unsponsored’.

nickc

IME, soul was noodley, PA was a soulless lump of a thing (see what I did there) and the Inbred just right.

carlphillips
    Free Member

2nd what nickc says apart from the soul bit as i never rode one, my pa lasted 2 rides before i sold it on and went back to an inbred.

Digger90
    Free Member

I’ve owned both: Inbred and a Soul.

The Inbred was like riding a concrete slab compared to the Soul. Now, this is a relative thing mind, neither is exactly plush, they’re steel hardtails.. but there is night & day between the 2 frames.

This will sound like I’m belittling the On One but it’s meant as an informed owner’s opinion….

– The Inbred is made from low end, cheap tubing and has a massively stiff rear end giving it a harsh ride.

– The Soul is made from very expensive high end tubing and has a more forgiving ride quality.

There’s a reason Inreds are cheap, and, there’s a reason Souls are expensive.

bigblackshed

Eyerideit.

Sanderson Soloist here too. I can not shout loud enough how good it is. It rides lovely on 120mm Revs. I’m also a big fan of the Explosif. Wish I still had mine. The Life is the same geo. Only difference is the BB and mech hanger.

julioflo.

The Soul is the one if the badge is a consideration. Sanderson if you want to stand out from the crowd.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Please put these frames in order of rear end steel spring feel’ is closed to new replies.