Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Please help! Soul-destroying car insurance question
  • SaxonRider

So I finally bought a car for my recently-widowed mother yesterday (a Fiat), and because she was not the primary insured on the old car (my dad was), she has no ‘no claims discount’. The current insurer on their old car (a Skoda) will transfer the policy over, however, and so at least give her some credit for having been a driver on the old car and for having been with them for years.

As a result, the policy, freshly applied to the the new car, will be slightly cheaper than anyone else from whom I got a quote.

The problem is, my mum has been told that by transferring the policy over to the Fiat, the Skoda will be left insurance-less… and yet she still needs to use it until I can drive her new car up to her.

So what do we do. It seems that the option she is being presented with is to insure either one car or the other. Should she just go with another insurer for the Fiat, and leave the Skoda insured until she can get a dismantler to take it away?

Why, oh why, does insurance have to be such a pain in the ass? And so flipping boring to boot?!? 👿

the-muffin-man
    Free Member

If the Skoda is going to be scrapped can be SORNed so it doesn’t need to be insured?

thegreatape
    Free Member

You should be able to set up the policy so that it swaps to the new car on a specific date, ie collection day.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigsurfer
    Free Member

It is very normal for a no claim discount to only be applied to one car. If you need a period where both cars need to be insured then you need a temporary policy your current insurance company would be the best people to talk to.

sandwicheater

You should be able to add a vehicle to your Mum’s policy for a few days (we can do it for upto 14 days with most of the insurers we use) or, you can do temporary insurance on-line (insure daily for one) but not the cheapest option.

We’ve a few insurers who will transfer NCB from insured to spouse in these circumstances also, you can pm me if you need any help.

spooky_b329

As above, they’ll often allow two vehicles to be covered briefly.

Or get one of those temporary insurance policys for the drive up, takes minutes to set up and print off a certificate.

cp

As above, talk to the insurer. We’ve just had a month of cover for two cars during a similar exchange period on the same policy for an extra 20 quid a week.

ads678

I had the same thing a few months ago, had to insure the new car so the garage could tax it but i still needed my old car for a few weeks. My insurers gave me a temporary policy for the old car and switched my insurance to the new car at a given date. cost a few quid I think but not much.

vinnyeh

If you can’t get any joy through her current insurer, then Aviva do short term policies which are pretty painless to take out, and will give you cover for the trip to take it to your mothers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Please help! Soul-destroying car insurance question’ is closed to new replies.