Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Please Help – Orange Five – Which Shock – Opinions
  • nwill1
    Free Member

I have a 2013 Five. Love it no plans to change it but trying to get the right shock!

Came with a Fox evolution which was rubbish, blew threw the travel, was advised it could not be tuned.

Moved onto a CCDB, liked it but it was heavy and had a bit of bob, Amazing on the downs though, felt immense. however given I was planning on riding more XC than trail on it decided to lighten it up and changed to a Monarch Plus.

Since then have hardly ridden it as I bought a Ti hardtail, the plan is/what I’ve been doing is Ti hardtail local XC, Five Trail centre/peaks stuff etc. However I’ve found that the Monarch is sat at 30%-35% sag but only using 75%-80% of travel. Spoke to TF and the only option to improve is a tune.

So….question is…get the Monarch tuned (but concerned it’s a risk as I may not like it). Get another CCDB (2nd hand) and get it set up with less bob than before or go halfway house and get CCDB air? (Can get a great deal on new which will mean the upgrade will be no more than the tune on the Monarch).

Also can I live without the CS…that’s like circa £200 more than the CCDB air.

Cheers

Northwind

CS is good imo. Haven’t tried a Five with one but basically it means you can set up without compromise for descents, personally I can’t see the point in fitting an expensive shock to a single pivot then choking it up with damping so that it climbs nicely. Depends on you of course.

Got a CCDB Air CS in the trailfox and it’s very good. Other shocks are available, I’d have been interested in a Fox X2 if it had a climb mode.

nwill1
    Free Member

You’re most probably right but the issue is I can afford a new CCDB as I can get it at circa £300 new, best price on the CS is £150 more which is too much for me.

I was just reading about the Fox X2, the review for a trail bike was favourable despite no climb switch.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrismac

Orange advised me not to use a ccdb air or inline because they aren’t the best shock at the high pressures needed on the five frame. They suggested rp23 or monarch

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/tested-fox-dhx2-rockshox-kage-rc-fox-float-x2/
    Float X2 review is good but it really depends how much the 5 needs propping up on the climbs

nwill1
    Free Member

milewsmith – I read the article and though maybe air is the way to go but I can get a CCDB air for £300 new, the X2 and CCDBACS is £450/£500. More than I can afford/justify right now!

gelert
    Free Member

I have the 2013 Five S with Fox Float Evolution shock (presumably the RP23) and I’ve had a bigger volume spacer fitted and I think it punches well above it’s weight. Have you tried tuning the air volume on yours? I’m about 75kg and I think it was the 2nd largest volume spacer that was fitted. I’ve set it up to not quite bottom out on the biggest drops.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve had an rp23, monarch and CCDB Inline in mine.

The rp23 blew through the travel whenever you hit anything bigger than small.
    The Monarch debonair seems pretty good on the few rides i’ve used it (see below for reason…), lots of support, bit less supple than the Inline. If i was going to ride a more xc mix of stuff i’d be more than happy with this.
    The Inline is brilliant….when it’s working! I’m not heavy, 67kg but have it set at 195psi and i’ve read above 200 and its not great. I’ve blown it up 3 times but TFT have been brilliant with me. It feels like a mini downhill bike, and with the climb switch goes uphill acceptably as well.

Dont think you can get an X2 in 190 i2i length?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Please Help – Orange Five – Which Shock – Opinions’ is closed to new replies.