Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Please help my Legacy pass its MOT
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Hello, I’m hoping there are some inventive types on here who can help me get my Subaru Legacy through its MOT!

I’ve lost both front headlight washer covers from the car and this means that the washers no longer direct water onto the headlights. I think I’m right in thinking this is a MOT failure for a car with HID lights.

The headlights now look like this:

The mechanism still pops out when you use it, but water just comes straight out of the rectangular hole. There should be some sort of plug there that directs the water back to the spray nozzles and also attaches the chrome look covers.

I’ve found nothing helpful on Subaru forums other than Subaru prices, and it looks like they will want just shy of £90 each side for the parts 😥

I’ve tried making a couple of different plugs myself, but even secured with small zip ties the pressure is too strong.

Any suggestions for a fix?

mechanicaldope

I have no idea if this would work but I think sugru (maybe with a thin straw embedded to direct the water)is the standard STW answer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ebay shows some covers in lithiuamia at a more palletable 34 quid each but atill not fine.

Subaru breakers might be a better bet ?

mechanicaldope

Or scrapyard?

kilo

No useful help but I had that on a Honda Accord it was great like a mini water cannon on the front of the car 🙂

billytinkle
    Free Member

The part for £30 odd quid doesn’t include the cap for the water jet unfortunately. I know because I bought one hoping it would solve the problem.

All I need to do is plug it somehow, but it needs to be a strong plug! Is sugru waterproof and will it adhere to ABS plastic? I’m assuming that’s what the water jet is made of.

legend
    Free Member

Disconnect and remove the washers altogether and blank them off. They only have to work “where present”, got my old car through 4 MOTs that way

jimjam
    Free Member

T-piece and tubing from halfords, split it off the window washer, run it down the wing and tape it on to the top of the light. I had to do this to get my jap Legacy through the MOT here in N.I which is more stringent than England Scotland or Wales.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Will try sugru first and disconnect and remove if that doesn’t work.

Legend, thanks for the tip – at what point did you disconnect? I imagine there’s some lengthy pipework back there somewhere!

legend
    Free Member

Mine was fairly easy, firstly unplug the motor for the light washers (as in the electrical plug), then it’s really up to you what to remove. I had to pop the bumper off to remove the old washers on mine, so ripped out the majority of the hoses from there back to around the wheel arch area then just tidied up what was left.

Naranjada
    Free Member

You could try Adam at Autotecnica in Buxton, he’s very knowledgeable and has a few Legacy on site for breaking. Number is 01298 27391 or 07855364898

tom200

scrapyard

Won’t find many legacys on a scrap yard……..quality motor.

shifter
    Free Member

I thought that it you have HIDs you have to have working washers.

garage-dweller

Not sure I would follow legends advice for a car with hid lights.

The washers are iirc obligatory because dirty headlight lenses mean loads of scatter of those types of light which is a hazard to other road users.

However it might get it past an unwary tester.

Inbred456
    Free Member

See if any of the Toyotas use the same headlamp washers. Subaru often use Toyota parts. You might be lucky.

legend
    Free Member

Nothing to do with an unwary tester, the rules are clear that they washers must be working if present. 4 different testers passed mine without a single advisory

VOSA’s states: “A car with HID lights MAY also have headlight washers and self levelling which must be checked and in working order if fitted.”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Won’t find many legacys on a scrap yard……..quality motor

Yes you will . Rear arches rot out like a mother **** in Scotland.

jimplops

See if scoobyspares in Fleetwood have anything in, if not Scott may be able to point you in the right direction.

somafunk

I had/have Hid’s (full beam/dip) on my MK2 golf with no washer/self levelling system and it never failed an mot, it does have horrendously expensive custom ground headlamp glass to properly focus the beam pattern though (before anyone pips in with with complaints regarding illegal hid beam pattern/blinding other road users etc – #1 for life applies here – don’t be a dick)

jimjam
    Free Member

somafunk

I had/have Hid’s (full beam/dip) on my MK2 golf with no washer/self levelling system and it never failed an mot,

It would never pass an mot in Northern Ireland though. Just sayin.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Might not pass one in Canada either ….But hardly relevant to a guy who lives in Scotland.

spooky_b329

Halfords have the Sugru cheap at the moment…its by the tills in my local store. Might still be cheaper to get a multipack online though.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Well thank you to all those who suggested sugru, particularly mechanicaldope who got in there first.

It’s done the job of blocking the hole perfectly so far and the washers work as they should. Just need to see if it lasts long term.

Unfortunately the MOT won’t be passed just yet though as I’ve now got a non functioning wing mirror indicator! It’s been hit by something by the looks of it and the LEDs that are not broken are now dim and only work intermittently. Second hand unit ordered as about £500 from Subaru lol.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have hid lights and self leveling on my Saab. Doesn’t have washers fitted!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Please help my Legacy pass its MOT’ is closed to new replies.