Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • please help me setup my orange 5
  • bigdan6
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve bought a 2012 orange 5 and would love some help on sag percentage settings and peoples experience of dialing-in their Fox RP23 shock. This is my first Full Suspension bike (being riding a hardtail for 8 years, so reasonably experienced) I live and ride in the Peak district on the bridle-way network, to give you an idea of the type of riding I do.

Please can we not have endless comments regarding a dislike for Orange 5’s. Genuine advise would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Dan

uplink
    Free Member

Just set the sag to around 30% and the rebound so that it only bounces once when you ride off a kerb

After that just make small adjustments till it feels good

LoCo
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Set sag, ride.

flow
    Free Member

You might find that at 30% sag the RP23 XV can get a bit wallowy. Try 25% sag (13.5mm of the shaft length) too and see which you prefer.

For rebound, do what uplink said.

Moonhead
    Free Member

I have the 2010 one, different rear shock but will chip in.

I have found that it takes a bit of riding with different settings to find what works best. I’m sure a lot of it depends on your weight and what you ride, what tyres you use and at what pressure.

Me….Sag 25% and the rebound depends on the ride, if I’m doing something a bit more “downhill’ with jumps and drop offs I will dial it down so I don’t get the rear end kicking up.

Not sure if your shock has the 1-2-3 setting of pro peddle? I leave pro peddle on (2) most of the time if I’m doing XC and flick it off for anything that isn’t up or level.

It’s all personal preference so take your time to find what works for you….and enjoy your new bike!!

flow
    Free Member

Moonhead, I have found exactly what you said to be the best.

25% sag, PP2 most of the time, although I’m starting to use it less as I’m finding you have more traction in corners without it, and climbing rough stuff is definitely better with it off.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I have a 6 week old 2011 5 with an RP23 which is the same frame and shock as yours. I ran the sag at 30% and Pro Pedal in position 2 only when climbing. Now the shock has bedded in a bit it started to feel a bit soft so I run the sag at 25% but still only use the PP when going up hill. If it helps I am 71kg and now have the shock at 150psi. Rebound is 5 clicks off full fast.
    Still experimenting at the front as I have 120-150mm RS Revelation U Turns. I have only run them at 140mm but will try them at 150mm when I head off to Cwm Carn next.
    Orange 5’s seem to be a bit Marmite but I’m happy with mine. That maybe because I like Marmite.

bigdan6
    Free Member

Thank you for your help guys. I’ll try 25% sag with a small amount of pro-pedal and dial in the rebound as suggested (riding off a curb and watching the rebound return).

Do you also set the sag to be the same percentage on the forks or is it best to inflate according to weight (they are Fox float rlc 140’s?)

Thanks again

steel4real
    Free Member

I’m a surprised at you spending, what, £2.5K + on a bike and it didn’t come with any instructions ???

As far as the shock setting goes, you’ve got it right, start at 25%, then try it plus or minus above and below that a little and see how you like it. Rebound, start in the middle and try a click or 2 each way, you probably had a fork on you HT, it’s doing the same job but you don’t want it as fast as the front or else it will buck you off on big hits ! Matt24K seems to run settings similar to me. I just have the PP at 2 and switch it on for climbs & flat (otherwise bike wallows), off for descend. But I know plenty of others who just leave it off all the time.

For the Forks – check out Fox’s own instructions on their website. Keep it simple start at 25% sag and see how you go. Rebound quickish. Leave the compression off/at zero at first, then increase it a bit when you have the the other settings nice. I’m sure it’s slow speed compression, so you may want a few clicks on to help hold the fork up.

You can’t go far wrong and you are going to enjoy the bike 🙂

But seriously, don’t you get a Fox CD ROM for this with the bike ? My frame came with one (yes an Orange 5) and so did the Fox forks.

montylikesbeer

another tip of the day is to wear normal kit and your pack with your ride stuff in when you set your sag.

I use a cable tie on the front forks to measure sag.

bigdan6
    Free Member

Thanks again. I did receive instructions for most of the components for the bike, but not the shock & forks.

I’ll give the advice a try and go for a spin

Many thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘please help me setup my orange 5’ is closed to new replies.