• This topic has 67 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Please help me persuade my husband we should buy a Weber BBQ
  • wallop

He likes meat. He likes BBQs. It makes sense to me.

Or is there an alternative we could consider?

oldbloke
    Free Member

Meat eating Webber BBQ owner here.

Just buy it, cook him great food. He’ll enjoy it but feel the male urge to burn meat on open fire and take over cooking duties. Sorted.

kelvin

They last.

chiefgrooveguru

This is much more STW: http://www.biggreenegg.co.uk

Mind you, last summer I managed to smoke both pork and brisket on a knackered secondhand gas cheapie! 😀

maccruiskeen

Mine’s been sitting out in the scottish rain for three scottish winters and still looks brand new. If the question is persuading him to get a webber one rather than the one you’ve got or instead, or instead of buying an other make then them being properly specced and manufactured is one good reason

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re talking about a gas Weber, we’ve now got 3 x Weber Q’s…. [as they’re mostly alloy] they last a very long time and are good to cook on.

Drac

Just buy one.

Spud

Our (ssshh) gas BBQ died a death last year, just bought a Weber and it’s fabulous (for a BBQ), used it twice and knocks spots off ones we’ve incinerated with before. Go for it. I did get persuaded to buy MrsSpud a new outside table/ chairs set too… Summer is looking good already!

wallop

I’m working on him for the table and chairs too!

toby1

Surely no man needs convincing to buy a Weber. Have you had him checked? Also recommend a starter chimney.

hora
    Free Member

Press, bent cheap steel for how much?!!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Tell him his manhood is threatened! Every man should have a weber AND you can smoke meat in them easily.
    Slow smoked ribs, brisket, chicken etc etc.

A starter chimney is a MUST. Cook steak on it whilst the coals are getting ready.

andyl
    Free Member

Tell him he is not a man until he has a Weber.

We had a cheap Weber clone. It was shit and didn’t last.

We then had a cheap gas BBQ. See above

We picked up a modest Weber cheap as an end of season display clearance at B&Q (£50 ish) and it’s brilliant and still looks like new.

My only regret is not buying one of the fancier models but I am hoping a stove thermometer will fix the lack of temp gauge and one of those charcoal starter things will make lighting it as good as the fancier ones with it built in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Having a kettle barbecue (not specifically Weber, but a large round top one) is great. Just do a steak via indirect heat, it’s amazing.

With regards Weber – my wife wanted us to get one 8 or so years ago. It’s been out in the back garden continuously, without a cover. It’s not rusty, nor has it decayed.

wallop

What are you all on about with your starter chimneys? Do you mean I can’t just get a basic model?

Edit – nooooo, it’s gas I’m after!

wrecker
    Free Member

it’s gas I’m after!

Then buy any. You don’t need a weber (and it’s not real BBQing 😉 )

andyl
    Free Member

Gas! GAS! GAS!

actually those portable weber gas things are pretty good. But still not as good as a proper Weber IMO and you have the faff of renting a bottle etc.

Starter chimneys make lighting it a breeze, even a man with soft hands could do it. 😀

TiRed

Mine replaced a gas bbq and my only regret is that I wished i’d bought the smaller Weber. Less manhood, but uses less charcoal and faster to heat. They are excellent. Cooking on them is a joy.

wallop

Argh. Is gas not the way to go then? A kettle would certainly be cheaper!

I need to have a think about the pros and cons of each one. I just figured it’d get used more often if it’s gas.

bigblackshed

I’ve got a gas Outback and two charcoal Webers. It’s horses for courses. Both are great but different. Gas is quick and easy and convenient. Charcoal and smoking a big joint of meat is an all day pleasure. When my Outback dies I’ll buy a big gas Weber to replace it.

Are you sure your husband is a real man?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

A don’t bother with gas with lumpwood charcoal and a chimney starter a charcoal bbq is ready to go in 10 mins and its super easy to clean

dantsw13

In true stw fashion, I now use wood in my weber instead of charcoal. Our gas bbq has stood unused for 2 years now.

My weber is over 20 years old and still going strong!

stumpy01

We have had a couple cheap kettle barbeques and they have been rubbish.

We got a Weber as a wedding present and it is spot on. Loads better than the other ones we’ve had. Looks and feels like it will last for years.

We bought one of their starter chimneys and it is brilliant. We use a few scrunched up balls of paper and a couple of firelighters in the bottom of it, stack the briquettes on top and it is ready to go really quickly.

cheers_drive

I changed from cheap gas bbq to a charcoal Weber with gas assisted starting. The basic bbq is great but I’m not convinced about the gas starter.
    I’m surprised that Stu needs persuading to buy one.

ski
    Free Member

Price up and check the size Weber you want, then go for the next size up 😉 the weber charcoals are excellent even though they cost a bomb, last, invest in a chimney as stated above makes starting them a sinch and quick too

First thing on my list when I moved home and it 8 years old, been out in all weathers and it still look like it will outlast me!

davosaurusrex

Another weber owner here. Cooks well but knock me sideways I agree with hora – the legs at least are cheap crap, not good enough for the money.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

We have a weber spirit gas bbq which we have used for the last 3 years. While not cheap, it is undoubtedly the best BBQ I have ever used. As we pull it into the garage after use, I expect it last decades as it’s sooo well built. Probably cooked 30 or so times on it and it looks as good as new.

It was an absolute doddle to put together too – you pay for quality.

dingabell
    Free Member

We went from gas to a Weber charcoal BBQ and it seems to take no longer to get it ready to cook on, and the food tastes night and day better.
    As above, get a chimney starter.

riddoch

Happy Webber owner here, you won’t regret. did a whole duck on it this past weekend, mmmmmmmm still drooling slightly.
    With webers own brickets it still take a while with the starter chimney to get them white rather than flamey or am I leaving him too long?

isto
    Free Member

The Weber briquettes take longer to get white for cooking but last a lot longer. So I use them only when I need to do several rounds of cooking.

Has anyone got a cover for their Weber they can recommend….the grey Weber one I have is useless.

towzer

we went for a Cadac safari(gas) – as it does more than bbq and it packs well/fits in the motorhome(has external gas point) – turned out to be ideal and is a keeper

sharkbait
    Free Member

I just figured it’d get used more often if it’s gas.

It undoubtedly will.

I often fire ours up to cook bacon in the morning, quick burgers/sausages for the girls lunch – doesn’t have to be ‘an occasion’ to use use it but it does make some meals a bit more fun.

wrecker
    Free Member

With webers own brickets it still take a while with the starter chimney to get them white rather than flamey or am I leaving him too long?

The weber briquettes are OK, but not brilliant. They leave a very yellow ash which is disconcerting. I tried the restaurant grade lump from teh wholesalers, but it was mostly slag.
    The best stuff you’ll get which is relatively easily purchased are the aussie heat beads. Despite sounding like a sex toy, they are very good indeed.
    http://www.hotsmoked.co.uk/charcoal-firelighters/australian-heat-beads/prod_146.html

Has anyone got a cover for their Weber they can recommend….the grey Weber one I have is useless.

Agreed the grey ones are shite (crack in no time). They do a black one, which I have for the smoker and it’s been brilliant.
    http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/accessories/weber-57cm-premium-cover.asp

cloudnine
    Free Member

Keep an eye on this if it comes back into stock at this price…

http://www.calor.co.uk/weber-portable-gas-bbq.html

ransos
    Free Member

Meat eating Webber BBQ owner here.

+1. Spatchcock chicken, with the lid on tastes fantastic and cooks in about 45 minutes.

As for the cover, a cheap B&Q one lasts longer than the Weber one.

The only thing I don’t like about ours is it’s top heavy, so can blow over in a strong wind.

BoardinBob

Christ, I’m veggie and even I own a Weber. Tell him to man up!

ChrisHeath

The black Weber cover is much better than the grey one. Get one at the end of the summer though, when a lot of places discount accessories (I think I got ours from John Lewis for about half price).

I use ours all year round. Did the Christmas Turkey on it last year – I’ll never do a turkey any other way from now on. The Weber briquettes last a long time, but as above I’m not over keen on the yellowy mess they leave behind. Decent lumpwood can by lit and ready to go within 15 minutes or so.

Since getting ours, I’ve never once thought “I wish I’d got a gas one”.

nedrapier

Anyone got any opinions about the sweet spot for the 57cm Weber? Seems to be a big price range.

Any bells or whistles worth paying for over the cheapest model?

I’ve got a chimney starter for the mini BBQ already.

Edit: isn’t google marvelous?

http://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/blog/weber-57cm-barbecues-differences/

ChrisHeath

Feature wise, the lid holder on the Master Touch is far better than the hook you hang your lid off on the Premium.

nedrapier

Hmm. £73 uplift from Original to Master. Must be quiet the hook!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Please help me persuade my husband we should buy a Weber BBQ’ is closed to new replies.