Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Please help me here… NEED new shoes, and I'm stuck!
  • mboy
    Free Member

OK, so when did all Skate shoes become so errrr… Well… SHIT!

I’ve been wearing Vans (or more recently Nike 6.0’s) since I was 15, I’m 32 now. I wear them day in day out, through pretty much all conditions, so they get some use. I just replace them when they wear out, which is usually every 18 months to 2 years. And now is replacement time… So went shopping…

EVERY shoe shop is full of what can only be described at best as unisex deck shoes from the likes of Vans, Nike, DC etc. Even 2 seasons, a dedicated Skate shop, they all look like they were designed for 16 year olds that haven’t yet grown their first pube!

To make matters worse, I also need new jeans… EVERY shop that sells jeans, only seems to sell skinny jeans! OK, I know it’s called “fashion” and fashions come and go, but for me baggy(ish) jeans and a decent pair of skate shoes are what I live in. They’re part of what makes me me! Can’t live without them… I’ve weathered a “fashion” storm before years ago when it was hard to get them then, but now, can’t find them anywhere!

Heterosexual men of the UK, into decent skate shoes and non skinny jeans, help me out here! Where the hell do I need to go shopping these days…?

Or am I doomed to an androgynous future?

😕

Moses

Get thee down to Marks & Spencers. You’re 32, you’re grown up and past it. Also, you might be sirprised at what they stock.
    🙂

matt_outandabout

john_drummer
    Free Member

avoid the high street “fashion” chains & go cheap/cheerful

get thee to Matalan. Wrangler, Lee, & other makes of jeans in various fits including “comfort”. Cheaper than the high street too.

Saw some no-name “skate shoes” in Asda Living the other day too. They didn’t have my size but they weren’t exactly expensive. plain black is what they were.

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmmm, those Teva’s in slightly more interesting colours would be ok.

get thee to Matalan

Already done mate, seems Matalan just provides the same as most other high street shops these days, but cheaper and in unpopular sizes (I’m Mr. 50th percentile in everything, so there’s never anything left that fits me).

Saw some no-name “skate shoes” in Asda Living the other day too.

C’mon, purrleaasse! 😮

I’m not normally a massive snob, but they have gotta say Nike, or Vans, or something reasonably cool enough on them. Not snobbish about any other aspect of my clothing ever, but Trainers I am a bit of a brand snob.

What’s happened to all the half decent Vans anyway? Seems only a couple of years ago Matalan and the likes were full of em even, and everyone was buying them to ride flat pedals offroad too. There’s plenty of kids out there with skateboards still, what do they use now?

ton
    theotherjonv

sports direct usually have something vaguely wearable at a decent price

matt_outandabout

‘More interesting’?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’m not normally a massive snob, but they have gotta say Nike, or Vans, or something reasonably cool enough on them.

I thought you said

I’m not normally a massive snob

c’mon, no-name makes sense, you know it does. Who the hell looks at your feet anyway? unless you’re a shoegazer yourself…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How about shouting your bike cred, braw?

Get some FiveTen Freeriders all up in yo grill, blud! *

*I believe this is how the “yoot dem speak”, so I thought I’d try this line of communication for you.

chewkw
    Free Member

You can get this half price at TK Maxx size 11 only at the moment … arrghh … I am size 10 to 10.5 … arrghh …

john_drummer
    Free Member

thicker socks

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers ton, we’re getting somewhere… Shame about the prices! 😕 Price of them not being readily available I suppose…

sports direct usually have something vaguely wearable at a decent price

Been there, was to be fair the closest I found to anything I would actually wear in there, but the best on offer in there were still only an emergency choice if my current Nike’s die totally (which could be soon to be fair!).

Anyone know where to get Bench jeans these days? Used to be you couldn’t walk down a high street without passing 3 different shops, all selling Bench, now you can’t find em for love nor money! Shame cos they used to fit me really well, and last for ages.

TooTall
    Free Member

Accept that you are through puberty and grow up a little.

Are you a single man?

ton

mate, they last years tho…..well work the spend.
    try arco for some…you may be lucky

somafunk

Mammut Redburn GTX

Replay Newdoc Reg Fit jeans

Sorted!….although i am the last person on earth you should take any fashion advice from.

matt_outandabout

Salomon have some ‘distinctive’ options for you….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive got some Loteks at the minute, they’re alrite.

Or some Orchids?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dear God.. do we have to tell you what to wear now..

“tuts”

zippykona

Don’t these type of shoes give you smelly sweaty feet?

mboy
    Free Member

c’mon, no-name makes sense, you know it does. Who the hell looks at your feet anyway? unless you’re a shoegazer yourself…

I grew up in the 80’s, with hip-hop culture and trainers being every kid I knew’s first aspiration when we were young. I’d go barefoot before wearing shit trainers, just the way it is!

How about shouting your bike cred, braw?

Get some FiveTen Freeriders all up in yo grill, blud! *

Thought about this a while ago and… Well… 5:10’s would last weeks with me, the amount I walk, they’ve got a very soft sole and I’d just wear em out in no time.

You can get this half price at TK Maxx size 11 only at the moment … arrghh … I am size 10 to 10.5 … arrghh …

You’ve not quite grasped my take on trainers it’s fair to say… I’m looking for something like this…

Or these…

DezB
    Free Member

Gotta be said, Salomons are ridiculously hardwearing! I’d wear my XAs all the time if they weren’t so covered in filth from walking dog, rugby coaching, bike riding and all the other crap I put them through. I would get another pair, but a quick scrub and they will be looking new again.

matt_outandabout

Salomons are ridiculously hardwearing

I am not so convinced. Just put in my annual order for three pairs on clearance from work – and I will wear them out in a year. Old ones are hardwearing, new ones seem uber light at the expense of durability.

yunki
    Free Member

it’s time to accept your maturity and move on to a good leather shoe such as the Danakil from i-path

or a Camper Peu Cami

mboy
    Free Member

Accept that you are through puberty and grow up a little.

REALLY? 😕

Isn’t life wonderful that we’re not all the same, and all boring! Age has nothing to do with taste/fashion/style, or even what’s comfortable for the individual.

I’m sure you don’t see Tony Hawk wearing a pair of M&S’ finest brown sensible slip ons these days whilst he’s pulling 540’s out of a half pipe, and he’s 44 don’t you know! And then there’s Ken Block, founder of DC Shoes, and he’s 45… Age is a number, “growing old” is for those that chose to be boring.

Are you a single man?

No funnily enough… As we’re stereotyping, are you married with kids, and having a midlife crisis and wondering why you’re life has become so boring and predictable?

Salomon have some ‘distinctive’ options for you….

Sorry, refuse categorically to wear anything by Salomon…

john_drummer
    Free Member

I grew up in the 80’s, with hip-hop culture and trainers being every kid I knew’s first aspiration when we were young. I’d go barefoot before wearing shit trainers, just the way it is!

I was at uni in the early-mid 80s; a 40-something goth looks ridiculous so I gave up on fashion from that era – perhaps you should too. you don’t see many Teddy boys around these days…

Although I still refuse to wear denim of any shade or shape

matt_outandabout

Sorry, refuse categorically to wear anything by Salomon…

Ahhh, gwahn. 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

No convincing him on the Salomon front, the Mans clearly a SkaterBloke.

Can’t help you any further.

eyerideit
    Free Member

If you’re moving on there’s a lot to be said for….

maccruiskeen

I’m sure you don’t see Tony Hawk wearing a pair of M&S’ finest brown sensible slip ons these days whilst he’s pulling 540’s out of a half pipe, and he’s 44 don’t you know! And then there’s Ken Block, founder of DC Shoes, and he’s 45… Age is a number, “growing old” is for those that chose to be boring.

they are old men who were young when you were young 🙂

Anyone know where to get Bench jeans these days?

TK Maxx

zilog6128

Anyone know where to get Bench jeans these days?

surely Superdry has replaced Bench as the inexplicably popular expensive yet poorly made brand of choice for you folk?

mboy
    Free Member

surely Superdry has replaced Bench as the inexplicably popular expensive yet poorly made brand of choice for you folk?

I was buying Bench Jeans for 2 for £50, and they lasted years…

Superdry are about £70 a pair! They also only seem to come in skinny fit only…

Who are “you folk” anyway? Cos clearly you’ve mistaken me for someone else… I’m not in with the high street fashions, I know what I like, and I know when it’s available in the high street or not, and it’s not right now hence I’m asking for help!

biker66
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing vans and plaid shirts forever. I’m in fashion about every 12 years or so and just put my head down and wait for it to pass. This Vans craze is going on a bit though.

But pretty much still only wear Vans. Can’t go wrong with the classics. Old school. High tops. Black suede. If I did try something new.. these look quite smart http://www.office.co.uk/mens/vans/era_59/22/9343/36081/1/1?fs=9343

Other wise Clarks desert boots for dressing up

zilog6128

ok. apologies for trivialising what is clearly a serious issue. what about the “classics” line? the old school ones look alright IMO, fair choice of colours too. http://shop.vans.co.uk/uk-en/men/collection/classics.html

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Mboy, size? As I have a set of New in box Fallen chirfs which are matt black and white detailing aswell as Box Fresh casual boots advertised on what I know still to be sdh.com
    No BS with my advice likd a select few on here.

Northwind

If you’re going with the Tevas, which I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not, but anyway they’re on discount at Stif this weekend, seem good prices and in proper sizes.

As for Vans, for some reason the shops only seem to want to stock the rubbish ones, but the range is huge. I picked out some i liked then went ebaying. Apparently they’re in their plimsoll phase but there’s still some proper ones.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this one, I’m 37, buy Dickies jeans from a place in California (with shipping they come in less than buying the crap they sell in most UK shops) and currently bouncing between Etnies lo cuts and Nike Renzos

Sports Direct is pretty good for normal skate shoes and not overpriced plimsoles. I’m looking at getting Airwalks from there, well priced and reasonably tough, been hanging about on some skater sites and most people swear by them over 50 quid Vans.

I’ll wear skate shoes till I shuffle off this mortal coil

oregon29
    Free Member

I can’t believe this hasn’t come up yet but being a predominantly bike forum try supporting a company that supports the bike. Howies, Fox racing, sombrio, etc.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Fox racing shoes are cack, look ok but made of rubber and itchy dye used on themnplus they are massively overpriced.
    Try Osiris the old d3 2001’s if you can track a set down had to go for 12’s or 11’s in the end but they are tough and 1 set the first lasted 3 yrs tops of real allround abuse from biking to kicking pikeys deranged faces.
    Highyly recommeded unless the osirises you choose are in rasta colourway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Please help me here… NEED new shoes, and I'm stuck!’ is closed to new replies.