Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Please help me find a full face helmet
  • Lakes_Puma

I’m looking to get a full face for a trip to the Alps, don’t want to spend TLD money.

I appear to be a very awkward size at 56.5 cm, but long and narrow.

I’ve just got a Rockgardn Pearl from CRC in small and it’s tight front to back (leaves a mark on my forehead after just a few minute wearing in the house) but the medium flaps around (S is up to 56 M is 57 upwards so I fall in the middle)

I’ve tried my LBS but no one seems to stock any sort of range of full face helmets.

Anyone know of a helmet that is long and narrow?

moniex
    Free Member

I think you can’t always go by the size they state. I believe on paper the bell bellistic in a small is bigger than a giro remedy in small, but in real life it is the other way around. We found this when buying ff helmets.

I found the giro remedy comes up big, bell comes up small. Fox seems to be somewhere in between. How about a fox rampage in medium? I tried the small and they seem to come up quite small as that did fit (small remedy I too big). My husband got the isx from crc in a medium for our alps trip. Seems a good fit and he is a medium in a giro hex trail helmet.

Hth
    Simone

moniex
    Free Member

Isx, bell and fox seem quite narrow, especially bell. Perhaps try their new ff helmet. I think the remedy would be no good.

Good luck!

Northwind

You need to just get to shops and try on as many as you can… Which isn’t so easy, not that many places carry full facers. But there’s no substitute for trying them on.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Over a period of years going to the Alps we’ve all eventually bought the same lids just becaus they’re comfortable, light and not too bad looking.

We all wear Casco Vipers, lightweight full face lids. Their chin guard is removable in about 5 seconds with no tools.

We go big enough to warrent a full face lid but not big enough for one suitable for doing 80mph on a motorbike!

I think they are about 450 grams as opposed to 900 grams for a normal full facer plus you still have your hearing and they’re cool (temperature wise) too.

They are quite adjustable (as much as a normal lid anyway) but the chin guard is close to your chin so if you’ve got a big chin you might not be able to talk.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ve got an Urge Endur-o-matic (open face) and that is fairly ‘long and narrow’. Tried on one of the Down-o-matic full face lids and that felt a similar fit. I liked it. Obviously trying before you buy is optimal…

tjr666
    Free Member

I have one of last years 661 evolution full face helmets…used it once, but I had a similar problem to yourself, but this one fit perfectly. Cant remember the exact size of mine though as at work, but if you are close to the peaks (Hayfield) you are welcome to try it on and can have it for nowt if it fits, free some wardrobe space!

alfabus
    Free Member

urge down’o’matic for me.

the sizes cover an enormous range, and then you adjust it with different inserts (that come with it)… so they only do S/M and L/XL.

If you really can’t get to a shop then it sounds like a S/M would be worth a punt.

Dave

Lakes_Puma

Thanks for responses everyone, tjr666 if only I was nearer but I’m down south 🙁

I’ll have a look at everyone’s suggestions.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a bit of a jellybean head, the 661 lids fitted alright, Sods law was the one that fitted best was a D3.

mrdestructo

Don’t mail order, unless you know a specific helmet fits you. You’re going to have to travel round many shops, or whilst out riding politely ask to try other riders helmets on. When they bring a new model out, don’t assume the sizing remains the same (I just found that out when trying a new version of what used to fit me perfectly)

At the end of the day, the money side of thing may be a problem, but comfort for all day riding and fit safety are paramount and make the spend a necessary evil.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Please help me find a full face helmet’ is closed to new replies.