Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Please Help – Confused 135mm – 142mm Rear Wheel
  • marto1985
    Free Member

Hello,

So i have a slight predicament and i was wondering if you kind folk could help me.

I currently have a cube ltd frame which i build up with shimano XT wheelset Rear: 135x10mm QR axle. 24 spoke

I am now wanting to upgrade my frame to a cube Elite Super HPC Race 29 Frame carbon. However the frame says – Rear Dropout: Thru Axle X12 (12x142mm)

Do i need to buy a new rear wheel or is it possible to swap a hub for a 12 x 142 hub? A quick search shows a new rear wheel with correct hub etc is £155? (seems expensive)

If they do a wheel with the correct fitting hub surely they sell the hub on its own which would be more cost effective than a new wheel?

My problem is i cannot seem to find the hub… Any ideas?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most hubs can be converted, not sure if the XT ones can be?

Hubs can be swapped over easily

jasonm945
    Free Member

I don’t believe the Shimano Hub can be converted, unless someone clarifies otherwise…

marto1985
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Does that mean new wheel is best option? Or maybe sell my XTs and upgrade the wheelset while im in spending mode?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’d sell and buy again. There are plenty of wheelsets out there at that size.

kelvin

Buy Hope hubs this time… they seem to be the only company to keep making all and any required adaptors for all their old hubs.

andyl
    Free Member

Take the opportunity to upgrade to a nice set of new wheels.

coatesy
    Free Member

Some of the latest Shimano hubs can be fitted with a new axle assembly, what model hub is it?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

unless your XT hubs has a converter that is best option, if none, if me. I will sell that XT wheelset of yours and get a new one like Stans on Hope which is easy convertible to any axle in the future.. rather than buying a new hub and lacing your XT wheel… check superstar/merlin, they always have on sale in their website.

rossburton
    Free Member

Another +1 for get a Hope hub. My current wheels were second hand when I bought then in 2013, Hope Pro 2 with old school 9mm QR and 135mm spacing. I’ve since upgraded my fork to a 15mm maxle (£15 to get the right adaptors for the front hub) and I’m now looking at a frame upgrade to 142x12mm (another £15 adaptor). Future proof!

jonnyrockymountain

I have some hope wheels for sale, hope pro 2 hubs with stans flow ex rims, if interested email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

ratherbeintobago

Buy Hope hubs this time… they seem to be the only company to keep making all and any required adaptors for all their old hubs.

CK?

Edit: DT website implies their 240S hubs are convertible too

marto1985
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, i am going to go for a new superstar wheel set. 25% of with discount code – MADMAY25

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Please Help – Confused 135mm – 142mm Rear Wheel’ is closed to new replies.