Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Please help break my heart
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Long story short as possible – I’ve built up a small collection of bikes that i’m VERY happy with, but I HAVE to raise some money so need to choose at least one to sell..

I’ve spent hours sweating over the decision, but keep going round in circles trying to justify which one/s to cull.

The hit list:

PX Ti road bike
    Inbred 853 s/s
    Cotic Soul
    retro 94′ Stumpjumper

I have good reasons to why I need to keep each one so seem unable to commit to deciding – so as a last resort, im going to use your advice to decide… heaven help me.

All have really good quality finishing kit, and although s/s, the Inbred (the bike that gave me the s/s bug and puts a smile on my face every time and is a super hard frame to find these days) is only s/s, its value when split is only several hundred less than the Cotic (the best bike i’ve ever ridden) and PX (the bike I tend to rack up most miles on)..

Obviously the (super rare and immensly nostalgic to me) Stumpy has a much lower value. (hardly worth selling it at all, right?)

What say youz?

😕

druidh
    Free Member

Surely the Inbred has to go?

brant
    Free Member

inbred

yossarian
    Free Member

Sell them all, pay off your debts (or whatever) and spend the rest on a new bike.

It’s only bits of metal. Riding bikes is better than staring at them.

slimjim78
    Free Member

brant – Member
    inbred

😯

serious?!

Trekster

Depends how much you hope to raise ❓
    IMO none of them as described are worth much as a whole 🙄
    Stripped down and sold as component parts might raise more 💡
    But…..I rarely buy 2nd hand stuff ❗

slimjim78
    Free Member

the loser will be split.

conservatively, 2 are worth over £1k when split, another over £600

DickBarton

Inbred sold in parts.
    Retrobike will get into a froth for the stumpy…

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

serious?!

Then he can sell you another in better times?

Also, its obvious, Stumpjumper isn’t worth anything, that leaves you the choice of two mountain bikes and only one road bike. Of the mountain bikes the Inbred, particularly as a singlespeed, is the least versatile. Anything you ride on it you could ride just as well on one of the Soul or PX Ti, but the same doesn’t apply the other way around.

slimjim78
    Free Member

ok, the inbred seems to be a popular choice to be chopped.

But, dare I ask – why?

EDIT: pleaderwilliams – I tend to agree, I just found I rode almost as much on the Inbred (offroad) as any other bike. Especially down here in the south!
    I really love having a s/s option, especially through the winter..but it does seem to add up that its the weakest link. I think. Do I?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sell the inbred and buy a SS kit for the soul?

Scpacers
    SS cog
    chainring
    chain
    tensioner
    <£50?

That way you can use it SS over the winter and decide if you want gears back in the summer.

RobHilton
    Free Member

SS the Soul in Winter?

porter_jamie

i’ll buy your ss inbred if it is 18″

timmys

Sell the road bike. Less heart breaking, more soul cleansing. Then burn any lycra.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Sell the Soul you’ll get more for it and the Inbred’s just as good anyway.

slimjim78
    Free Member

i’ll buy your ss inbred if it is 18″

20″ , sorry

wwaswas

20″ , sorry

You’re just saying that so you don’t have to sell it.

takisawa2

The Ti PX sounds a bit extravagant, that should go.
    Then the Stumpy. It’s not 1994 any more, bikes have come a long way. Get rid.
    Then the Inbred. SS the Soul, & it will be spot on for Southern Winter Shandy / Frothy-Latte drinking rides.

Then get a SH steel road bike.

Life changed.

slimjim78
    Free Member

lol

here she is a while back, slightly different build

DickBarton

Why get so worked up about a S/S??? Stick the Soul in a gear that works then don’t use the shifters…you then get the feeling of being on a singlespeed without the need to actually own one…

jedi

Stumpy and either inbred or cotic

CHB

Not the Ti PX bike!!!

scaredypants

keep the inbred – no fecker’s going to buy it in pink 🙄

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just keep the soul and stumpy. Sell the others

bentudder

I had a similar dilemma back when the first udderlet was due. I didn’t have enough space to justify lots of bikes, and I knew that money was going to be tight for a while – and riding opportunities thin.

I had:

A Commencal Meta 4
    DeKerf Generation
    Genesis Io
    Random road bike

Here’s what I did: I sold everything. Every last bike. I’d owned the DK for over a decade, and had updated it by buying the components for a proper DeKerf disk brake mount from Chris direct, and getting Argos to do a smashing job on it. I sold it to a friend I knew would ride it lots and cherish it.

I bought a Singular Hummingbird and a pair of matching Magura Menjas – hardtail with gears, singlespeed, rigid, front sus and 26er/69er all sorted in one bike.

I bought (second hand, from a friend) an Orange Five.

My suggestion:

Keep the road bike.

Sell all of the hardtails, and buy one capable of running gears if you really need it. The Hummingbird is smashing, but out of production – although Sam has a few large frames kicking around.

I should point out that I’ve yet to run gears on the Singular. If it’s a big day out in’t hills, I take the Orange.

Hope this all helps. I know it hurts to sell a bike with significant emotional attachment, but if you’r not using the Cotic or the Specialized, sell them to someone who will use and enjoy them. Then sell the On One, ‘cos it’s pink.

one other thought: I don’t know if the Excentriker BBs do the job, but that might be one way to singlespeed the Cotic. Or get a Simple.

Andy

I’d:
    Keep the road bike as you say you do the most miles

I’d keep one mountain bike – probably the Soul as can singlespeed it if needs so the most versatile.

And then I’d strip the Inbred and Stumpy, keep the frames and sell all the parts seperate as you can always then build them up again one day

And if still short of cash sell the stumpy frame because those 853 Inbreds are lovely (I had three at one time or another 🙄 and it was only a wheel change size that made me sell the last…. 🙂 )

And finally if still short of cash split and sell the parts from the road bike and keep the frame.

martymac

i would sell the one that is easiest to replace, (either with the same or similar)
    so keep the road bike and the stumpy, its one of the others that has to go, you can get another when things pick up financially.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Are you a world champ? If not – you should not be riding a pink bike.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Are you a world champ?

Yes.

Thanks all, I think im getting there. Cotic and road bike only, may even trade in the PX frame and go steel instead.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sell the Specialized cos it surely has no realy use.

Sell all the parts off the Inbred (if they are desirable) and keep the frame)

Sell the Ti road frame and buy a cheap steel or carbon one.

I got a Genesis Equilibrium brand new for £240. I imagine you’d get £500 odd or more for a Ti road frame?

slimjim78
    Free Member

The sell off begins..

corroded
    Free Member

Keep the Stumpy. Surely you won’t get much for the Inbred or the Planet X s so that leaves the Soul for a decent return, no?

MikeG

and PX (the bike I tend to rack up most miles on)..

Only a couple hundred miles from new

you must ride less than me 😆

klumpy
    Free Member

The road bike, obviously.
    ALWAYS the road bike.

trailster
    Free Member

Lets see the collection and put some prices next to them.

chiefgrooveguru

Singlespeed the Stumpy for winter and sell the Inbred.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Please help break my heart’ is closed to new replies.