Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Please forgive me, I'm new to this wood burner stuff!
  • paulevans
    Free Member

Woodstovists, I need your help!

Got my new Morso 06 a week ago and lit it for the first time on Friday. Lit it again yesterday and this evening. Problem is, it keeps going out!

What I’m doing – balled up newspaper, enough to cover the grate, fair bit of kindling on top. The 06 has a single adjustment which is at the bottom of the stove. Push all the way in fully opens the secondary air source. Pull all the way out and both the secondary and the primary air sources are opened. Push half way in and both sources are closed.

The manual that came with the stove says to fully open the secondary air source if burning wood. If i do this every thing lights up quite well to start but then just seems to die. The manual also says to build up a bed of ash approx 1cm deep. How can I do this if the base comprises a grate through which the ash falls!

I just want a nice, well lit fire. Can anyone tell me what I need to be doing?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Take the grate away, unless you’re burning coal. When lighting, you want both vents fully opened, and leave them both fully opened until it’s roaring away, and kindling below is glowing. Only then do you close the primary vent, dependant and lots of things, the draw of your chimney, type of wood etc, this may take as long as 10 minutes.

Leave the secondary vent fully open for a wee while, just to make sure the fire is going, then start to use that as a control. A wee tip, when lighting, leave the door slightly ajar, just a 5mm gap, this’ll help get it going.

Don’t worry, I remember when I first got mine, I read somewhere that it may take as long as 6 ,moths to get to know your stove, and I can totally concur!. Enjoy fella.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Reading that again, it sounds like you have the primary closed, like the manual says? They are only talking about the actual burning, to get it lit you will need both open.

spooky_b329

Also get those logs split into 2 or 3 inch strips to build up the fire, a big log needs an established fire and roaring kindling won’t have enough heat.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, wee bits of kindling won’t light up a big muckle log.

PePPeR

I run mine on wood with the grate still, I just never completely empty it, I only take away enough ash to make room for the evenings fire.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive got an 04.

To get going, scrunched up newspaper in the bottom, kindling on top, 1 log on top or 2 small ones.

Vent leaver pulled fully out. Light, close the door too, but not shut and leave.

Within about a minute or 2 roaring fire, shut the door. Then either leave vent fully open for a bit or move about half way.

The stove really gets going well once a hot ash bed has built up

You must have a very big room to be running an 06!

trout
    Free Member

How dry and seasoned are your logs ?

Drac

Scrunch the newspaper into balls but loose not tight enough to cover the bottom around 8-10 sheets,

Pile the the kindling on in a mesh patter with plenty of gaps to allow air through, you need a good bit.

Open both vents wide and light the paper at several points.

When it starts to burn close the door ajar with about 2-3″ gap.

Once it’s roaring well you can close the door complete.

Once the kindling is glowing and burning away well you can open it up and add smallish logs buy only a few now more than 3 or 4 piled the same way as the kindling was. Keep the vents open until these start to burn well then adjust the vents to the setting that works best before adding larger logs.

crikey
    Free Member

😆

I’ve got a gas fired Morso; Press ignition button, get warm.

br
    Free Member

Fire lighters.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Presuming your wood is dry you can try the upside down lighting method.

My method only differs from the link in that I go logs/paper/kindling.

We have two stoves and have used this method for the last 4 years – never fails. Quick, easy and means you don’t have to open the stove door to add more wood.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That link says to use 12-20 pieces of kindling, **** that, I spend enough time chopping kindling, I’ll stick to using 5 or 6.

Mugboo

After 2 months of easy lighting our Contura 51l starting giving us bother. Turned out that putting the newspapers in the same chest as the kindling in our front room meant the paper was getting slightly damp.

As for fire lighters, they cost money!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Certain newspapers are better than others as well! Sunday Herald is pish, as is the daily mail. The sun goes up like rocket fuel, not sure if there is something in that?.

paulevans
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice. Tried the upside down method today with some kiln dried hardwood from the local supermarket. Fire’s going a treat!! Now just need to source a good supply of ready to burn logs whilst I embark along the adventure of building a wood store and obsessively stocking it in readiness for winter 2014/15 or more likely 2015/16.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Please forgive me, I'm new to this wood burner stuff!’ is closed to new replies.