Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Please explain
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

Why are the local councils spraying the roads with bitumen then covering with aggregate when the road isn’t scalped first nor are the potholes filled in. All this seems to do is make the road look nice whilst camouflaging the existing potholes for you to find with your wheels. Also makes the man hole covers nearly as bad as the potholes, as layer after layer is added making the road noticeable higher than the covers.
    What is the point of it when they don’t repair the road first?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s to make you ride your mtb more, and force you off the Tarmac dandy horse.

rwamartin
    Free Member

it’s also extremely dangerous for motorcyclists – it’s like riding on marbles.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Theyv’e done it for years. Total waste of (our) money AFAIC. (until some councilor/politician explains otherwise, which will happen when hell freezes over)

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is cheap would be my guess.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Slippy till the loose chipping get removed but its a very cheap way of improving the skid resistance of a road (which is what they measure and how they are rated).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s not cheaper than leaving it alone.

MoreCashThanDash

The torrential storm on Saturday made some great berms on some recently chipped roads round here 😀

andyl
    Free Member

If you mean what I think you do then I always thought that was a temporary surface.

jota180
    Free Member

There’s bound to be a petition to sign ………. Hang on ……….

Here you go 🙂
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67408

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cheers, petition signed.

scaredypants

The real crime here is what drip’n’chip does to my strava times – adds about a gazillion percent rolling resistance

(err, 😉 )

soobalias
    Free Member

all the strava koms have been reset on the recently ‘refurbed’ roads round here

rene59
    Free Member

It’s cheap and most local authorities are merely managing the decline of the roads these days rather than paying out for proper maintenance or renewal.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

The country roads in south west France are maintained this way but it is done frequently and before the road deteriorates. Seems to work fine.

Kryton57

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Please explain’ is closed to new replies.