Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Please critique my north wales mtbing trip Itinerary
  • jekkyl

me and my mate are taking a trip over to wales at the end of april. This is my intended itinerary.
    I live in Stafford, he lives in Alsager, he has a van, I’ll drive to his and we’ll go from there.
    We’re staying in Betws y Coed.

Day 1 Friday, Drive to Betws y Coed, check in accomodation. then drive to Llanberis & do a few road miles or some light XC not more than 10 miles around the area to warm up a bit. Then cycle up that there mountain and then back down again much faster, thinking early evening, descending hopefully just before sunset. Standard route up next to the train and down rangers/telegraph
    Day 2 Saturday – Cycle the trails at Penmachno morning, have a late lunch then cycle the Marin trail. then curry or pizza with some premium lager.
    Day 3 – Drive home via a loop of LLandegla.

The main decision that could be changed is which trail centre for the full days riding on the Saturday, I’ve plumped for the penmachno and marin over the coed y brenin trails because they are right on the doorstep of where we’re staying and coed y brenin is a 40 minute drive away. This means that we’ll be in the van for an hour and a half when we could be cycling. I could be persuaded to go to coed y brenin perhaps if people think it is vastly superior to both penmachno and the marin and could we get a full day out of the trails there? I’ve ruled out the track at antur stiniog coz we haven’t got full face helmets or armour and we’re both on 120-130 travel hard tails.

Any thoughts on the above or recommendations for pubs/reastaurants in Betws y Coed welcome. 🙂 thanks all.

saxabar
    Free Member

Day 2: I’d go for the Betws option over CyB with all considered. Perhaps do the Marin first as the warm-up/ace descent, light lunch and then onto Penmachno – followed by hearty food and beer?

For Day 1, depending on how you’re doing for time/energy, perhaps have a look at the slate mines opposite Snowdon too?

RustySpanner

A nice ride round Moel Y Ci and the quarry at Dinorwic would set you up for Snowdon. Couple of hours, great fun.
    E-mail me for a route if you like.

And try the Pen Y Gwryd pub for a pint on your drive back from Snowdon.
    It’s superb.

The Gallt Y Glyn is great for food in Llanberis, as is the chippy on the high street and the little caff at the foot of the railway path.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hughjengin
    Free Member

I am localish, if you are staying in Betws, then CYB shouldn’t be 40 mins away, 30mins at most, and its a better all day venue, although Penmachno is a good trail, but prepared to get wet despite the weather, as there is standing water everywhere all year round, especially loop 2. So if you are dead set on Penmachno and Marin in one day I would do Marin first and Penmachno last in the day, or else you’ll want either a change of kit, or you’ll be riding in orrible wet gear round the Marin, which drains much better than Pen. (Last 3 descents on Penmachno are brilliant and will send you back to your digs with big grins)

scruff
    Free Member

Long Mynd or Hopton instead of Llandegla.

nickjb
    Free Member

Penmachno does suffer a bit with the weather and I was a bit under whelmed with the Betws y Coed trail. A lot of fire road and all the good bits were right at the end when I was a bit over it and ready to finish. CyB is a much better place for a day out IMHO. Not as wild but the trails are more tech with consistent singletrack and the cafe is great. I’d personally spend a longer day there maybe finishing in the dark.

Also antur stiniog would be pretty good fun with the kit you have. If they aren’t busy then you might be able to get a handful of uplifts in at a reduced rate and just do the red and blue. I suspect they will be full at the weekend, though.

davesmate
    Free Member

If it were me I’d substitute Llandegla for coed y brenin

Northwind

I really liked Penmachno but CYB for me was the star of the trip, really looking forward to getting back there. I have an unhealthy appreciation of stone pitching though so, ymmv. Wish I had the time to do the Marin and get back to Penmachno and Nant though.

Mine is going Llandegla (because it’s more or less on the way)- Snowdon Rangers- Antur Stiniog- Coed y Brenin- and probably Lee quarry on the way back to Scotland.

jekkyl

Cheers guys, this is exactly the sort of thing I was after. Marin trail in the morning it is then.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Sack off llandegla and come ride around Llangollen and te berwyns instead. I am local here and lived in the Conwy valley for years too. If you want to ride other stuff let me know!

hughjengin
    Free Member

OK, llandegla is very sterile and for most pretty uninspiring. But for the purpose of a last hurrah without going much out of your way on your way home on a Sunday and just having a laugh and a hoon about over jumps for a couple of hours without having to give it much planning or mapping or commitment, I’d say its a perfect spot. OK its not trail nirvana, but its a quick fix and a giggle after a great weekends riding (hopefully). But if you want to find the ultimate trail experience then look somewhere else

ichabod
    Free Member

Only done it once but loop 2 of Penmachno was not as fun as the first part which is fantastic – way ahead of the Marin! Quite a long day do do both Penmachno and Marin so if you are feeling lazy do Loop 1 of Penmachno and a shortened loop of the Marin taking in the final decent which is the main fun section.

mrhoppy

I’d do CyB on Day 2 and penmachno on day 3 before heading home if you’re set on trail centres or combine Marin with some of the bridle ways to the north of the forest on day 2 and penmachno on day 3 if you fancy some out of the way biking.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Seeing as though your over that way a trip to Nant y Arian would be on my list.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Llandegla is only really worth it if you are going to spend a while there too with it being £4.50 to park. I like CyB, could do the beast and tawr which would get most of the good bits covered & epic flapjacks and coffee after. Found the Marin a little boring if aside from the last bit.
    Cant ride up snowdon either so you’ll be pushing a long way!

If you fancy a quick ride which can be extended on natural singletrack which is quiet try Moel Famau near Ruthin, i’m off there tomorrow, can have a quick 2 or 3hr blast or go for an all dayer.

wallop

I’ve not done Marin but I’ve heard from a few it’s a lot of fire road with a great view at the top.

My itinerary would be Penmachno loop 1 (Dolen Machno?), Nant yr Arian, Antur Stiniog.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Please critique my north wales mtbing trip Itinerary’ is closed to new replies.