Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Please Be Careful On Them Roads People.. *RTA content*
  • hora
    Free Member

The OP reminds me of a lad who was sideswiped off his bike by a car doing circa 40-50 up a dual carriageway and (I presume had shot a red light as it was match day 1/2 mile up the road at Man Utd and people were in a hurry to get to the grounds/park).

I was bicycling back from the gym and although it was a bright busy day only me and a bus driver intervened until a van full of Police turned up. Everyone on the bus sat and gawped as did bystanders. I even had to stand infront of his body and direct cars racing up the dual carriageway away from him. Thankfully when I called the hospital later the Doc(?) said his injuries wouldn’t be life changing 😀

NZCol

It’s nuts out there. I drove from Edinburgh to Aberdeen then to Glasgow then back to Edinburgh last week and it was alarming !

My worst case was coming across a rolled car on a country road in the dark and fog. Driver had been thrown (no seatbelt?) and passenger was already gone. Managed to get the driver going again but was very aware i was kneeling in the middle of the road on my own and v vulnerable. Thank the lord the next car that happened across us was a police officer. Still think about it and it was 20+ yrs ago !

codybrennan
    Free Member

On the subject of first aid, I’m sure I’ve mentioned previously how Mrs CB and I came across what looked like an RTA on the A710 3 or 4 years back, surrounded by a crowd of people, only to find that the driver had obviously arrested.

Although an ambulance had been called, no-one had even bothered to try some basic CPR on the gent who’d been driving, and so we steamed in.

Sadly, we never got him back, but I know the family got some comfort from the fact that someone had at least tried.

showerman
    Free Member

the driving test gets harder and harder to pass yet the level of idiots gets worse.
    i am going to get flamed but i cannot understand why cars and bikes have such high max speeds nothing needs to go over 100mph really does it.

project
    Free Member

but i cannot understand why cars and bikes have such high max speeds nothing needs to go over 100mph really does it.

car thieves, robbers and other crimianls and most who drive german cars.

chewkw
    Free Member

Good job MrsGrahamS.

She deserves plenty of good wine as token of appreciation.

😀

Tis the season to be merry a complete dick on the roads. I’ve seen more bad driving over the past 2-3 weeks than I have all year and it’s usually at speeds of up to 80mph on the motorway – and apart from the usual tailgaiting, it’s generally of the swerving in and out of lanes into already ridiculously small gaps.

It amazes me how many people are so desperate to get home a few seconds earlier, that they’ll risk not getting home at all (and taking numerous others with them). I’m not against speed – I’m against richardheads

LabWormy

I’ve been wondering about posting this for a while, as it is not my story to tell … but I guess everyone likes a bit of good news.

Due to a strange bit of “six degrees of Kevin Bacon”, I live round the corner from GrahamS and also know the father of the unfortunate biker.

The young man spent Christmas and some of January in a drug induced coma (no doubt over the top of one caused by the accident), I believe everyone thought the prognosis was very poor (the worst).

By the end of January he was out of the coma.

This week, I was told that things had got even better:

“is now at xyz Hospital learning to walk again apart from that everything is nearly back to normal, doctors can’t believe how quick he is recovering.”

So well done Mrs GrahamS, the NHS and everyone inbetween!

scaredypants

😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rob likes this

cloudnine
    Free Member

If only the forum had a like button

codybrennan
    Free Member

spacemonkey

Bonzer.

Top work MrsS.

drlex
    Free Member

GrahamS

Cheers LabWormy. I was likewise unsure if I should post an update, but you’re right, it’s nice to be able to relay some good news for once.

As for MrsGrahamS, well despite her NHS hardened skin, she had a good little cry to herself when she heard the lad had made it. 🙂

garage-dweller

Excellent news. Well done all involved 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Drs are shit though eh….

Good to hear that the lad is benefiting from some top class physiotherapy provided by the NHS.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Great news*

*even more so as a motorcyclist myself.

jimmy

Woah my bus home tonight has some dust in the air.

jimmy

I started reading some of the older posts on here looking for the new ones. Last 1st aid course I went, the instructor was brilliant. every injury that was covered finished with “and what’s the worst kind of *insert injury here*??!” initially followed by much umming and aahing….

Over to STW first aiders…

ratadog

Hats off to MrsGrahamS

+1

The women on the course was devastated to learn that her mum could possibly, even probably, have been saved by simply opening the airway.

I taught major incident management for some years and was always acutely aware that I might be walking through other’s emotional minefields. Over the course of 6 or 7 years I met people with first hand experience of the Bradford fire, the Herald of Free Enterprise and Dunblane. Very sobering.

fatmax

Fab update, great news!

FeeFoo
    Free Member

So well done Mrs GrahamS, the NHS and everyone inbetween!

Absolutely! Fantastic stuff.

Lifer
    Free Member

😀

skiboy
    Free Member

i do a 70 mile round trip everyday.

standard of driving is awful, i tend to leave a good 10M between me and the car in front these days, its so much safer, usually results in me being tailgated pretty regular, I drive a pretty meaty car with loads of power and 500+ftlbs of torque but rarely do i overtake. i tend to sit back and watch the disasters unfold.

in the past week i’ve seen gritters on the M1 doing 80+ MPH while gritting !
    another gritter trying to grit an A road in Milton keynes and loosing the back end on corner as he was going around 60mph round an opposing chamber with a lot of weight (really thought he was going to take me with him as i was coming the other way)

red light runners everywhere, nobody seems to give a hoot anymore. but then who’s going to do anything about the police are non-existent.

sat nav’s placed right in the middle of the windscreen or in front of the eyes, I’m sure that illegal. again who’s going to enforce it.

and locally there a dual carriageway that has an underpass so people can get from one side of the road to the other without getting killed or causing a RTA. We have a fair few eastern europeans and africans who use the bus stop and every morning and evening they are all over the dual carriageway, steeping out in front of you or running across scarring the sh1t out of you. someone is going to get nailed there.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Please Be Careful On Them Roads People.. *RTA content*’ is closed to new replies.