Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • please 4 year old boys bday present ideas
  • brassneck

Biggest current crazes with my lot are:

1. Loom bands
    2. Pananini World Cup (cunningly directed by Dad as stickers are 50p whilst Match Attax are a pound. And rubbish).
    3. Minecraft. The 4 year old acts as consulting architect to the 8 year old (un)civil engineer.

EDIT: You are never wrong with Lego, I’d go with that. Anything from the Lego movie would be err… AWESOME

klumpy
    Free Member

Got my niece some little “skate ramps”, to bop over on her balance bike. I think she’s about 4 or so, she’s walking but doesn’t drive, anwyway.

BillMC

Stay clear of electronic gizmos, get him something he can DO and use his IMAGINATION with rather than be dependent on and limited by the parameters set by a programmer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

Cougar

The thing I dislike about modern Lego is that the sets are based around building the thing that is pictured on the box.

As opposed to what?

Speaking as someone who built this…

… last month I can assure you that they always did. The set contains instructions for a main and a secondary model. Imagination not included.

almightydutch
    Free Member

As above, Lego has always had instructions…and like most it seems I;m not alone in building the box models first and then storing it with the rest of the Lego in a plastic bin. (With a large white cotton sheet inside that wraps around all the lego. Makes clearing it up dead easy as you just wrap it back up and slide back into the bin)

The only model I made back up and kept on a shelf was the backhoe model:(not my picture)

dannybgoode

Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife
    Air Rifle
    Black Widow Catapult
    20 Bensons
    Some solvents and a paper bag

Everything today’s 4 year old could want (note to self must stop reading the DM).

mintimperial

The thing I dislike about modern Lego is that the sets are based around building the thing that is pictured on the box.

What you do is get the odd proper set as a fancy present for birthdays/xmas/whatever, and then every so often get a job lot of random bricks off eBay to just build stuff with.

Bikes and lego have saved my life more times than I care to think about over the past few years. Bikes when it’s sunny, lego when it’s not, small boy = sorted.

iolo
    Free Member

I got a fishing rod when I was 4 from my parents and a small blunt pocket knife from my grandad. We did live in Snowdonia mind next to a beautiful lake.

benp1

Whats your budget?

Who is this boy in relation to you? Son, nephew, godson etc. (Informs how special it might be)

i_like_food

It’s got to be an Islabike, if you can afford it. With one of those in the garage you’re sorted, whenever I ask my 4-yr old what he want’t to do it’s either “BMX track!” or “Mountainbiking in the woods to ride singletrack and do “big jumps’!” Result.

Note – he started on a scooter bike at 2, a CNOC 14 at 3 and a CNOC 16 at 4 so there’s been a bit of progression, I didn’t just get him a bike and push him off

johndoh
    Free Member

As opposed to what?

Speaking as someone who built this..
    That’s Technic.

As above, Lego has always had instructions…

That’s, err, Technic.

johndoh
    Free Member

This is the sort of Lego I remember – yes you could make the thing on the box, but as I said earlier, the blocks were much more generic so you could be inspired by the pictures, follow instructions or just go freestyle and make something. I remember making houses (lots of houses), bridges, cars, windmills, castles, allsorts.

kcr
    Free Member

You can buy bags of second hand Lego by the kilo on eBay. Cheaper than the kits and in my experience you get a great random selection of bits that will encourage imagination. Lego is hard to beat as an open ended toy.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Oh yeah thats right the old stuff didn’t have instructions did it: 🙄

1236 Garage with box and instruction from 1955

jag61

doesnt heyou need a niche bike yet?he will grow into it and you will need to know its safe for him

johndoh
    Free Member

Oh yeah thats right the old stuff didn’t have instructions did it:

I said

you could be inspired by the pictures, follow instructions or just go freestyle and make something

I never said there weren’t instructions, I said the blocks were generic enough to allow imagination to run riot.

Can I see your 🙄 and raise you 😛

Cougar

Ah, I see what you’re saying now. Lego, it used to be shit (I had that set). Then they made clever bricks which let you do really creative things. SNOT revolutionised what you could do with Lego.

But if you want to harken back to halcyon LEGOland days, we’ve still got Duplo for that sort of thing so it’s all good.

jon1973
    Free Member

20 Bensons

That’s a bit irresponsible. Start them off on Benson Lights.

seadog101

Home

End of.

klunky
    Free Member

http://www.wickeduncle.co.uk

That’s a great site for kids gifts. I think I got walkie talkies for my 5yr old nephew.

tightywighty
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

Cougar – Moderator

As opposed to what?

Speaking as someone who built this…

… last month I can assure you that they always did. The set contains instructions for a main and a secondary model. Imagination not included.

Now compare that to the modern F1 car set. Loads of custom pieces which are no use anywhere else.

Some of the small kits are even worse:

Go back a few years and that would have been made from about 30 generic bricks instead of about 10 preshaped ones. 🙁

seadog101 – Member

Home

End of.

seconded 😀

sbob
    Free Member

Quad bike or drum kit.

Cougar

Yeah, you could never build anything else with that 42000 set.

But here you go then, problem solved.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-6177-Basic-Bricks-Deluxe/dp/B000T6XNS6

passtherizla
    Free Member

If you can’t find a use for the ace new shapes in LEGO then I suggest its you that lacks imagination.

nemesis
    Free Member

God. Stw argument over Lego… 🙄

To the OP,

Lego
    Transformers
    Power Rangers megazords
    Cheap tablet (the 35quid ones on Amazon)
    Water guns

bearnecessities

Northwind

Some of the small kits are even worse:

Go back a few years and that would have been made from about 30 generic bricks instead of about 10 preshaped ones.

But every one of those bits could still be used for something other than its original kit. Looking at it, yeah there’s some bits you couldn’t get in the 80s but they’re all equivalent to stuff you could- that kit would have been a bit more angular but otherwise the same.

People complain about imagination but frankly if you can’t take modern lego and build something just as stupid as we used to, it’s you that lacks imagination. All our space stations were made out of castles, my last spaceship was a pirate ship hull with bodywork off old blue space lego, and rocket motors bolted to the top and bottom. And it was ****ing awesome.

spud-face

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzevl0Hw79g[/video]

gonzy – Member

it was all about transformers when my lad turned 4….so we bought him optimus prime and bumblebee.

Christ, to think it must be 25 years since I spent months saving up to buy Jazz – only to find it was nigh on impossible to transform him so that he worked as a car. The front wheels just wouldn’t line up. Such crushing disappointment, and now the wounds have re-opened damn you!

Ideal present combo for someone else’s kids:

plus

plus

twinw4ll
    Free Member

8 hours of solid uninterupted Dad time, pick a task and spend the day with your son, anything else inc lego is bullsh1t.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘please 4 year old boys bday present ideas’ is closed to new replies.