Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plea to Orange Five gurus or owners past and present
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

My son has bought himself a second-hand Orange Five frame (2012 I believe; 26″, tapered headset, maxle, etc).

Looks in good nick apart from one problem. One of the pivot clamps ( Pic Here ) is missing.

I’ve contacted Orange – they say that, as these blocks are cut from the individual swing arms, they are not a spare part and also they will vary. To be fair they’ve said if I provide a pic of my part they’ll have a look around. I would have thought they must have something.

I’ve contacted a few dealers with mixed help. I’m going to drop into a couple at the weekend who have promised a rummage around the spares bin.

If anyone has one from a knackered old frame I’d be super grateful if you could contact me. Happy to pay reasonable price / make donation to charity and of course cover postage. But..

Having looked at how the pivot bearing works, I don’t believe this part is super critical. The bolt tensions the ‘ring’ of the swing arm and I’m pretty sure it’d function fine without the block. It looks to me as though the main functions of the block are:
    Prevent overtightening of the bolt
    Provide a bit more protection to the bearing (though hardly a seal)
    Cosmetic

Is there any reason why I couldn’t use a suitably cut and filed to size piece of ally / small steel tube through which the bolt passes to do the job? I could even encase it in resin and either mould or file to shape?

Any other ideas?

Al

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Could you take the other side one to a local engineering shop and see if they could reproduce one?

I agree it’s not mission critical to be spot on. just make sure you torque the bolt correctly.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Indeed Daniel, I could. But I suspect the price may be prohibitive for a ‘one off’. Someone correct me if I’m wrong!
    What should I expect to pay?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What should I expect to pay?

[quote][/quote]

A small local engineering shop? I’d ‘expect’ to pay about £15-20 if they had a template to go off.

I was wrong once before though. 😕

Beagleboy

I had one of those fall off mid ride due to an earlier… erm….maintenance error…. It was fine once I got it back to my garage and fitted the proper length bolt, rather than the stupidly short one I’d picked up by mistake, but I do recall that during the ride, the bike felt very odd as I nursed it to the pub…where I got decidedly odd feeling as I sat and waited for my mate to ride all the way back to her car and come back to rescue me.

Couldn’t you, or Orange, use the one on the other side as a rough template?

C.

andybrad

id expect it to offer some support to the bearing so i wouldnt ride it hard without one.

Best bet is either orange and file it to fit or make something yourself.

russyh
    Free Member

They really are just a cut out section of the swing arm pivot point. To be honest you could easily fashion something with a dremel and a tape measure. Which by the way would of been about how the factory made it any judging by the conversations I have had with them this week!

tomaso
    Free Member

I am sure you could bodge something yourself out of a lump of alloy with a hacksaw file and a drill

allthepies
    Free Member

3d printed part ?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Easily made on a manual mill..
    How much do you want to pay me? 😀

flashinthepan
    Free Member

A guy at work will do me a 3D CAD drawing – hopefully I can then get it 3D printed in some ‘nylon like’ material

I might try this weekend at home if I can find some suitable scrap ally

loverofminkys

I have funnily enough just retired a five frame of similar vintage due to a crack in the swing arm. PM me and I’m sure I can stick one in a Jiffy bag for a Donation to cancer research.
    It will be orange in colour though!

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Loverofminkys – pm sent. thank you very much

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Plea to Orange Five gurus or owners past and present’ is closed to new replies.