Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Playbike thoughts
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi all, I’ve been procrastinating for weeks and i need a bit of advice. I want to build a hardtail. A new pump track has been built near me and there are some ok dirt jumps near by, just something to mess around on, manual, jump a little , go to the pump track a little. I’d also like it as a spare bike for guests , so that rules out single speed dirt bikes or 8 speed dirt orientated ‘do it all’ bikes.

I have some 650b parts spare (forks, tyre etc) so the plan was to build something from those, cheaply, as if i use the bike twice a week i’ll be surprised.

Commencal have their sale on and have seen an El Camino 650b frame for 150 euros. I know its the bottom of the range frame, but it sounds like it’ll be capable, although 68 degree head tube angle puts me off a little….?

or do i just slack it all off and get a 2nd hand 26 inch bike?

please tell me what to do…. 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

2nd hand 26″ Chameleon. Don’t bother with the 650b. It’s all a lie.

wiggles
    Free Member

Your both wrong…

What you want is a 24″ rigid jump bike…

… I may have one to sell

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

24 inch fully rigid would be awesome,

failing that, a 26 inch jump bike or 4x bike would be a cheap alternative.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If 650b is a lie , can I presume that you are saying it’s the same ? If so , I have 650b spare parts , so why not build something with those..? Maybe…?

24 jump bike wouldn’t really suit guests who come to visit , i’d like them to be able to ride some trails local to me. Soz but thanks and good luck with the sale !

andysredmini
    Free Member

Sorry I didn’t mean to start a wheel size debate. What I should of said was that if you want a play bike then either will be good. I think I would look for a 2nd hand 26″ bargain.
    If you have 27.5″ parts then that may be the best option for you.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a 68 degree head angle? Good compromise in my experience.

Also, you could put your 650b fork on a 26in frame. There are lots about secondhand for not much money.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fork is tapered so it narrows down the options a little with regards to 26 inch frames . Hmmm

nwill1
    Free Member

I have a Charge Blender I might be moving on…great bike and perfect for what you describe.

4X, dirt, XC for your guest riders…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12182304/

Will be a different build, Pike 426’s, SX wheels…great buy!

Email me if interested nwill1 at y mail dot com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Playbike thoughts’ is closed to new replies.