Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Play in Rear Suspension
  • gdm4

I have the slightest bit of play in the rear suspension on my Giant Trance. It is noticeable when I lift the rear of the bike from the top tube and I think I have located the movement from the link that joins the top of the rear shock to the meastro suspension bracket (triangular bracket). I have loosed the bolt that runs through right off and taken out and then put back and tightened up properly but the slight play is still there. Can anyone help?

Thanks

z1ppy

The bushing in the top mount need replacing? (bizarrely the bottom mount doesn’t include one apparently)
    Bushings cost a couple of quid, a tool to do it a bit more (or take it to your LBS), though it can be replaced using sockets, if you want the cheap and cheerful. Find the tools and bushing on ebay.

gdm4

Thanks. Which bit is the bushing? Is that the piece within triangular bracket that the threaded bolt screws into? That’s probably a daft question I know!

z1ppy

The bushing fits inside the rear shock top eyelet
    See the pictures in the middle of this page

IA

It’ll either be the bushing or the bearing in the rocker, as it seems to be the first one to go on giants.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Agree. Definitely sounds like worn bushings, although I recommend you ask z1ppy where he gets his bushings from for “a couple of quid”. In my recent experience you can add a zero to that price. That said, my LBS did then fit them for free.

Let the air out of the shock and see if the bearings feel rough when you move the shock in the mount manually. If they still feel smooth, it’s a good sign it’s the bushings rather than bearings.

z1ppy

ST, lots on the ebay but I bought my last lot from a bearing supplier, cheap as chips.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Bushing v bushing kit. When/why would you only need the former and not the latter?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

because the hula hoop wears first – always teh case, hence why they are sold individually

nickjb
    Free Member

If you change the bushing when there is only a little play you don’t need the whole kit.

z1ppy

the top hats

also wear alongside the bushing, on some bikes it happens more so than others. You only replace the ‘kit’ when changing your bushing doesn’t remove the play (& it isn’t coming from elsewhere) though IME it obvious that the top hats no longer fit snugly into a ‘new’ bushing.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Glad I came on this thread then. Sounds like this knowledge will save me some money.

Ta

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bushing replaced in Oct 13 £14 from LBS, bushing replaced by mate in May 14 £4 less the £10 labour – get the wee yellowish ones they are stronger. Learn how to do it and buy 3 or 4, I ride a Giant Reign. LBS rides a SC and reckons he went through one in 2 months.

rocketman
    Free Member

AS above it’ll most likely be the shock bushing although check the saddle and linkages first

A word of caution with the heavy-duty ones if your shock linkage is made from cheese like the one on my Cannondale the bushes will cause premature wear to the linkage

maxtorque

Is it by Alan Bennett??

[/notenoughcultureonthisforum]

gdm4

Thanks everyone really appreciate your help.

gdm4

Got the bushing replaced in under 2 minutes and for a fiver by the super friendly and knowledgable people in a bike shop Rawtenstall (Ride On). Thanks everyone for their input and solving my problem.

bigyinn
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member

Is it by Alan Bennett??

[/notenoughcultureonthisforum]
    It would be Play On Rear Suspension if it was.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Play in Rear Suspension’ is closed to new replies.