Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Play in pedal – do I need a full pedal rebuilt kit?
  • wl
    Free Member

Got some Superstar Ultra Mags, 2 years old and they’ve been great. There’s now quite a bit of play at the crank arm end of one pedal – should I just bite the bullet and buy a full rebuild kit for £15 or is there likely to be a cheaper solution. Can’t help thinking I might only need one part from the rebuild kit, not all the bits and bobs it comes with. Any experience/tips on servicing will be most welcome. Ta.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Change the whole lot. Changing one bearing is counter productive, as it puts too much stress on other bearings, and the new one as well. It’ll last another two years, for 15 quid. Good job.

wl
    Free Member

Nobeer – that sounds like good advice – that’s what I’ll do. Cheers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just done my Wahwahs (same pedal, basically).

The bush is the bit at the crank end that gets most of the abuse – they’re available from CRC on their own, however the bearings will be worn some too – your call whether you think they need changing too.

You’ll need a drift to knock the bushing out – I got away with using an old 11mm drill bit.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve had a few of these types of pedals. When they develop play it has never been the bearings. That side is well sealed and IIRC doesn’t take the majority of the load.

It has always been the bushing. They can be a bit of a faff to remove. Drifting them out is tricky as there is a lip on the inside that they sit against (what stops them when you push them in). If you can find the right socket then great. I think I ended up using a bolt. IT needs to sit on the bushing but nt the lip. There is a DMR video somewhere (anda tool) where they have a thread bar/bolt/something that they screw into the softer bushing then pull the whole thing out. I never managed to find anything the right size.

£15 for the full rebuild for both pedals is pretty good. Contains seals, bolt, bearings and maybe the bushing. Alternatively look on CRC as I think this is a generic kit and the nukeproof parts are the same.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Play in pedal – do I need a full pedal rebuilt kit?’ is closed to new replies.