Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Play in maxle hub- Any way of adjustment?
  • crashbanggg
    Free Member

My friend has an ’08 Pitch pro with Pikes. He has recently noticed significant amounts of play in the front hub (The wheel moves side to side, even when not on the forks, so we assume its the hub rather than the forks?) He’s not really had a proper look into it, but if it is the bearings, is there any way of adjustment/ stripping and greasing? Or is it a case of whole new bearings…

Cheers

Chris

alfabus
    Free Member

is it on the original spesh hubs?

RustyMac

New bearings, they are sealed bearing units in the Pro 2 unlike cup and cone in say a Shimano XT hub.

I’m sure there will be videos on youtube on how to replace them. plenty of sellers on eBay with bearings for pro 2 hubs.

[edit] I’m sure it said Pro 2 hub when i first read it if it is not a pro 2 ignore everything i just typed [/edit]

crashbanggg
    Free Member

is it on the original spesh hubs?

Yes, im pretty sure it is

alfabus
    Free Member

I *think* that the spesh ‘stout’ hubs that came with the pitch have cartridge bearings which could be replaced, but I doubt they are intended to be user serviced, so you won’t find anyone stocking spares. You’ll need to find out the bearing codes and get them from a bearing factor.

First thing to do is (sorry if you have already done this) try tightening the bearing preload on the maxle – that is, screw the maxle in to the fork, then do up the screw on the inner axle pin which makes the QR handle harder to clamp down.

If that does nothing for it, then either mess about trying to find new bearings, or go buy a decent set of wheels. Proprietary hubs which come with fully built bikes are usually only destined to last for a year or so. I recommended Hope hoops with Stans Flow – a very good match for a pitch, and you’ll be able to take advantage of rusty mac’s advice next time you have bearing issues 🙂

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Play in maxle hub- Any way of adjustment?’ is closed to new replies.