Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Play in front wheel
  • simonbea
    Free Member

Couple of weekends back I did a few days of back to back riding, at the beginning of it I started to hear a slight creek, with these always being tricky to place I put it down to saddle with the intention of tightening up at the next opportunity. As the weekend went on the creek got louder until I could pin point it easier, it was coming from the front wheel mainly when at speed and more apparent when on rough downhills. On closer inspection there is a bit of play in the wheel, probably about 5mm movement up at the tyre. The Hub is a scott 20mm bolt through the forks Marzocchi 55R. I have within the last few months replaced the bearings and these seem fine still. The sleeve that sits inside them has no movement so don’t think the problem lays here. The end cap that sits beneath the brake disc wobbles a little when out of the forks, but from memory this was always the case and when in the fork it then clamped in place.

My first thought is to get hold of a very thin washer/spacer and insert it inbetween the end cap and fork to take out the play, would have to be pretty thin as the play at this point is very minimal. The only other thing I could think of is that the screw thread that the bolt through tightens into has somehow been knocked out a small distance creating the extra space…not sure if that is possible, think I’m just making stuff up now.

I hope that makes sense(?) Any advice or suggestions that don’t invlove replacing forks would be great

Not sure photo is of any use but for those who prefer pictures to words:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wwaswas

I guess first thing to do is to try a different wheel in your fork or your wheel in a different fork to confirm which it is? Maybe your LBS could help?

I’d be wary about adding random spacers to take account of wear/damage though.

Drac

You didn’t leave something out when your replaced the bearings did you?

johnellison
    Free Member

I have within the last few months replaced the bearings and these seem fine still.

You say this, but…

Any movement in the bearings will be amplified massively at the outer surface of the tyre.

I’ve often replaced my front wheel bearings and when I come to take they old ones out, very often they seem perfect because the amount of wear is miniscule.

Did you use branded bearings (e.g. SKF, Schaeffler, Toyo) or Wang-Min Tung Industrial Bearing Property Limited Company parts?

simonbea
    Free Member

I guess first thing to do is to try a different wheel in your fork or your wheel in a different fork to confirm which it is? Maybe your LBS could help?

I’d be wary about adding random spacers to take account of wear/damage though.

I’ll give this a go on my lunch break, good idea!

You didn’t leave something out when your replaced the bearings did you?

I’m not aware that I did, I don’t think there is much to it really: bearings either side, 1 internal sleeve and then the two end caps.

Did you use branded bearings (e.g. SKF, Schaeffler, Toyo) or Wang-Min Tung Industrial Bearing Property Limited Company parts?

They are branded, I can’t remember what of top of my head but I still have the receipt at home so will check. I did have a look at them and I couldn’t notice any play in them at all- but take your point that it may be hard to notice when not in place.

simonbea
    Free Member

LBS is stumped! They didn’t have any Marzocchi 20mm axles kicking about though!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Play in front wheel’ is closed to new replies.