Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Play in Forks
  • carlos
    Free Member

Evening All,

Stripped, cleaned and did a lower leg service on my revelations this afternoon. All went well and it’s dead easy to do but what I did find was an amount of play when rocking the bike back & forward with the front brake on.

I checked the headset, brake calliper, brake mount and they are all good, but there was still about 2mm movement. Could it just be the flex from the rotor or is it more sinister and is going to require new lower bushings, is it a DIY job and who sells them??

Cheers

nuke

As I was once told by TFT, stick your finger between the stanchion and lower leg arch, now apply the brake and rock the bike…if it pinches your fingers, it’s the bushings. Bushings are not a DIY job imo.

carlos
    Free Member

Nips to garage and checks.

No pinching going on

nuke

Ok, next, are they U-Turn? There will exist a certain amount of play in the U-Turn helix.

carlos
    Free Member

Cheers Nuke, Thinking about it today now the alcohol has worn off, some details of the forks might help.

2010 Revelations, Dual Air, U-Turns, 150mm with Black Box.

They were recently treated to new complete Upper’s due to wear on the lower stantions and the air unit as it had blow a seal, so I’m thinking it’s just a normal thing as surley they’d have informed me of any bushing wear (and charged accordingly).

I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse. I did check the lower legs when I stripped them and there was no sign of any rubbing/marking.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Did you get new seals for the lowers when you changed the uppers?

carlos
    Free Member

I’m assuming so as it was all done by Fisher

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

carlos,

Try compressing the forks, and then hold brake on and then try and rock it, does it still have play? Was told to do this for my ’10 revs (non-uturn though)by TFTuned, if you still have play, is the play coming from the headset, tightened enough etc?

VanHalen

brake pad moving in caliper?

carlos
    Free Member

DM – Ok, I’ll try that tonight.

I checked the Headset, Rotor, Caliper, Maxel, Hub Bearings and all is tight.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Are you turning the forks through 90 degrees to rule out headset/brake/axel movement? Worth a try.

senorj

I had something a similar.
    In the end I found that the star fangled washer thing was moving
    even when nipped up.
    New washer with a spacer to lift it out of the groove made by the old washer worked.

clubber
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member
    brake pad moving in caliper?

This is very common and often missed as it’s not easy to see. Hold the front brake on and rock the bike back/forward and see if the rotor moves in relation to the caliper – if so, that’s it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Play in Forks’ is closed to new replies.