Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Play in bolt through fork. What grease?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I have a little bit of play between my 15mm bolt through and the hub. It’s a Suntour Raidon 120mm LO solo air fork.

The gap is between the hub and the bolt through at the lever end of the axle but there doesn’t appear to be any play at all in the hub itself.

Is there some kind of thick grease I can use to fill this gap and eliminate the movement or should I be looking for another solution?

Thanks.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Any ideas? I’m hoping to go cycling on it soon.

scotroutes

I wouldn’t. Grease isn’t going to “fill the gap” and you might (a) damage the fork/axle and/or (b) damage your face when it breaks.

Stevet1
    Free Member

thick grease I can use to fill this gap and eliminate the movement or should I be looking for another solution?

I’m no mechanical whizz-kid but I reckon you should look for another solution.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Does the axle adjust for this?

Normally, there’s a hex bolt or similar in the axle specifically to adjust for any slack or play.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

When you do un the axle it should be tight against the hub if you have play then it is most likely the hub bearings. Are you sure you are doing up the axle correctly.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Axle design

I’m sure I’m doing it up right. I have checked the hubs for movement with the wheel off the bike and they seem to be fine then when I put the wheel back on and do up the axle I can feel with my fingers where the movement is. The axle obviously isn’t fitting tightly through the hub at the handle end of the axle. There is a small gap either due to an imperfection of the hub or the axle itself. Maybe it’s possible to switch the hub cups round to see if the problem is with one of them.

I used to get this problem with my Pike 20mm bolt through sometimes but that was because the rubber wedge thing wasn’t moving freely and expending the axle inside.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Play in bolt through fork. What grease?’ is closed to new replies.