Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • "Platform" / cage SPDs for comfort?
  • chrisps
    Free Member

I have tried SPDs before, but never really got on with them (I prefer flats for AM riding). But recently, I have been doing much more long distance XC and bikepacking style stuff. Which is making me look again at SPDs.

However, last time I used them, I actually got metatarsalgia (inflammation of the tendons under your toes) from them… VERY painful!

Obviously looking to avoid a repeat of that. At present, I have M520s and am wondering if having something with a big platform would help “spread the load” and make them more comfortable.

Some people in this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/platform-spd-pedals-why suggest that is the case, but its only mentioned in passing.

Sooo, does anyone have a view on whether platforms are more comfortable / distribute the load better?

Also, wondering if I should use stiffer shoes. I use Specialized Tahoes at the minute and always feel there is a “lump” where the cleat is. But I have very wide feet (not helped by the aforementioned inflamation!), so I need something really wide.

Thanks!

oldfart

I was the same as you , many moons ago I had a bike with Ritchey SPDs , ditched them not enough support . A few years ago I bought M545s with the mahoosive cage got on fine with them . Then Shimano started doing trail pedals , there about £20 inc cleats from Halfrauds . As for shoes Shimano AM 45s perfect combination , you won’t go far wrong 🙂

chrisps
    Free Member

The cage on those trail pedals looks quite small, but it still makes it much more comfortable does it? Is the AM45 quite stiff soled?

oldfart

Yes and yes ! I found the cage really supportive but if you can still get them the 545s cages are ginormous ! Sole plenty stiff enough , obviously not as stiff as those on my Northwave disco slippers but that’s a different sort of shoe altogether .

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im struggling with how the cage makes any odds if your using a shoe with a stiff enough sole positioned right.

Is your saddle adjusted correclty, ive noticed alot of people who get toe cramps and damaged toes ride heels up because their saddles about 3/4inch too high.

v8ninety

Im struggling with how the cage makes any odds if your using a shoe with a stiff enough sole positioned right.

Yep, this. I’ve got a pair of time pedals with a cavelike design, and a pair without. The cage design to me just makes the bike more useful; ie, if you take it on holiday, you can hop on with trainers and ride it to the shop/pub/beach and it’s reasonably comfy, but you still have the option to put your bike shoes on for a ‘proper’ ride. Having ridden both a similar amount, the clipped in experience is identical. I have stiff soled Shimano shoes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh absolutely i get that. My utility bike has xt touring pedals on with one side flat the other spd.

I even used to run the m646 red dh special pedals.

I still notice no difference when using my spds on the spd side.

I guess its like those people that reckon they get hot spotting on spd pedals on their road bike.

I switch between the goretex hiking boots , mt41 and m300 carbon race shoes. None of them flex much at all…..but with my really cheap lidl experimental shoes. They flex round the pedal and are shit,

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for it being unnoticeable in striff shoes. I can feel it in my old shimano commuting shoes, can barely feel it in my road shoes (with spd’s not road cleats). It is detectible but nowhere near as much a difference as the shoes make.

I’d get a pair of carbon XC shoes, and make sure it’s a pair that fits irrespective of model/looks, I’d say go to an LBS but actually Evans are really good because you can just order as many pairs as you like to store on your credit card, try them on and get an immediate refund on all the rest. You might also like to get some custom footbeds to spread the load off your toes and through your arch, mine aren’t cycling specific, I had them done at sweatshop for £50 (same system as I’ve seen in some bike places charging £80+ too).

FWIW my shoes are shimano wide fit, they only do a few modles in wide but they’re the only ones that seem to fit me.

br
    Free Member

I use Specialized Tahoes at the minute and always feel there is a “lump” where the cleat is.

I’ve had a pair of those, soft shoes. Try something stiffer, I’ve a pair of the Spesh Roans’ at the mo – stiff, light but fine for walking in etc.

butcher

I have some Shimano M424 with the cage and the only difference I notice is that they’re ever so slightly more difficult to clip out of. When clipped in your foot is generally going to be raised slightly above the cage. I bought them so that I could use them in normal shoes too.

To be fair, I’ve never had a problem with SPDs, so wouldn’t notice any benefits in that respect, but I’m sceptical that they exist, and wonder if a different shoe is a better resolution?

teethgrinder

oldfart – Member
    …that’s a different sort of shoe altogether .

Can we do and Airplane! joke now?

cookeaa

For “spreading the load” or supporting your foot more fully I think the shoes are more important, stiff soles end up more comfortable over distance.

I do use softer soled, trainer type shoes with M424s and M647s for trail razzing and general MTBing up to about 30 miles or so that little bit more give in sole plus some flat-like grip and feel from the cage does help.
    But if it’s XC and longer distances I would look for a stiffer sole and comfortable fit…

scotroutes

If you want a shoe that gives more walking comfort (say for a touring holiday which has you off the bike quite often) then you’ll be after some flex. In that case, something like a Crank Bros Candy pedal will give enough of a platform for all-day touring.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stiff shoes make more of a difference, my left big toe hangs over the end of my Mallet DH’s and causes a bit of pain when I’ve been out for a while, cleats are getting changed so I’ll tweak it then. If your shoes are soft then they will sag outside of the pedal whatever shape/size it is

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘"Platform" / cage SPDs for comfort?’ is closed to new replies.