Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plastic Waterbutts and Freezing Winters – Do they crack?
  • davemcc43

I’ve just fitted plastic waterbutts to my house but its just occurred to me that if we have another very cold winter the water inside them would freeze, and thus expand, at the same time as the plastic would become brittle due to the low temperatures, potentially causing them to crack and fail.

Does this happen?

If so does the old ‘football on the fishpond’ trick work to stop the ice forming a complete skin or do you just have to keep them empty until it warms up?

I’m hoping for a warmer winter but am just planning ahead!

Thanks.

DAVE

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Does this happen?”

No

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What FunkyDunc said. Never had a problem with ours over the last two pretty horrific winters.

nbt

We’ve two in the garden, the’re normally pretty low anyway by winter but even when half-full (or more) freezing hasn’t caused an issue

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ours has been through two winters without a problem.

konabunny
    Free Member

Surely so long as the ice has somewhere to expand (i.e. upward), it won’t crack? Or do I have that wrong?

stumpy01

konabunny – Member
    Surely so long as the ice has somewhere to expand (i.e. upward), it won’t crack? Or do I have that wrong?

+1.

fisha
    Free Member

we put apples in the horses water buckets in the winter … the bob about and help keep the surface moving.

that was until the horse figured out how to dook for apples.

Tracey

Ours froze solid last winter, it swelled up but didnt split

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got two of them collecting rainwater from my shed roof, been in situ for approx 18 years and freeze every winter. No leaks to date 🙂

cupra
    Free Member

Two of ours cracked last year but we did get down to -16C. The pond was frozen almost 12″ deep.

davemcc43

Cheers all!

DAVE

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ours froze solid last winter, it swelled up but didnt split

😯
    I didn’t think that would be possible! (Not in the UK anyway).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Plastic Waterbutts and Freezing Winters – Do they crack?’ is closed to new replies.