Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Plastic thingy for front mech set up
  • theotherjonv

Has anyone got one they could post to me. LBS has had bike in to do pivot bearings and they loosened the mech to get at them (why they couldn't shift up into big ring position which then allows the cage to clear the pivot I don't know). So now I have to try to get everything set back up again which is possible my least favourite bike job of all. Especially as I don't have the little spacer jobby!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

They should have replaced it in the right place

Trimix
    Free Member

Get the shop to do it.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Wind up, right?

FuzzyWuzzy

I threw the spacer thing away before setting mine up last time as wasn't sure what it was for, it's not exactly rocket science to adjust a front mech though…

stuartm555
    Free Member

Have set up loads of front mechs before and I didn't even know this thing existed!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not needed – its just to spring under tension in transit & to help setup but just install the mech, set the limiting screws and then bolt up the cable – I usually pull it off and chuck it then setup up the bike 🙂

Diawl
    Free Member

+1 for the shop should've done it. Take it back.

tron
    Free Member

Can you not see from marks in the paint where the old one sat?

When setting up mechs, I've been known to cheat and use a biggish allen key wedged in the back of the mech to see how it will sit in the big ring, when waggled it up and down until it clears all the rings.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry FULLY reading the OP the shop should have done it – but if you can't be bothered to take it all the way back then DIY?

theotherjonv

shop couldn't do it because I'd already taken wheels, cranks, etc. off to make it easier for them. Plus, my wife picked it up so didn't know.

And I'm not driving another 30 mile round trip for them to do the job.

I know you can make do without, but the spacer makes it tonnes easier -> IMHO <- hence why i wondered if anyone had one they wouldn't mind bunging me.

Anyone?

duffmiver
    Free Member

it'll take you 10 minutes to do it yourself, or three days for someone to send you one.

theotherjonv

LOL

more realistically, it'll take me 3 hours to get it not running properly, or i could wait until some kind soul sends me one, and then 10 mins. and just ride the ss in the meantime.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

how can you be that shit at such a simple job? do you have a Beadle hand or are you abu hamza?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

bassspine
    Free Member

…how can you expect anyone to send you the right little plastic thingy, when they are all specific to the mech they come with

james
    Free Member

How baout winding the low limit screw all the way in, so that the front mech will sit in roughtly the same place as where the plastic thingy would make it sit? You're only lining it up with the chainrings visually so it doesn't need to be in exactly the same place

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Remove cable if attached
    Clamp mech where you think it should be
    Push the mech with your hand towards the big ring and see how close it is to being able to clear the teeth on the big ring by a few mm
    Adjust as necessary until right
    Refit cable
    Check shifting
    Adjust barrel adjuster if needed

10 min job. No spacer required

bassspine
    Free Member

+1 wot cheesyfeet said.

The plastic thingy is really truly pointless. It's just an aid to getting it pretty nearly right for use in factory assembly where the sweatshop workers have to fit 70 front mechs an hour.

robarnold
    Free Member

If it's bothering you that much then find something to jam in there to replace it….allen key, screwdriver head, party sausage etc.

There should be about 2mm gap between the outer cage and the big chain ring, the springs aren't that strong, if all else fails, use your fingers.

Oh, and man the **** up

theotherjonv

Thanks for that geewavetree. Actually I do have a partial disability on one hand but not enough to prevent me doing most things. It certainly works well enough for me to extend a digit and wave it in your direction 😉

And everyone else for the abuse. I hope the bike karma fairy gives you a thousand punctures in quick succesion.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Plastic thingy for front mech set up’ is closed to new replies.