Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Plastic pedals
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Anybody use them. My youngster keeps catching his shins on the pedals when practicing his tricks! Ok on rides as he pads up but wonder if plastic pedals would do the trick.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what provide him with less grip so that he slips off more ?

aracer
    Free Member

I have plastic pedals on my unis. Grip is fine, even in the wet – I’ve never noticed an issue with slipping at all (though to be fair I don’t have much to compare them with). They’re still capable of making a mess of your shins though – if not quite as bad as metal pins.

Most of these cuts were made with plastic pedals. The ones at the bottom of the leg were made by metal pins which I then took off – they were a bit deeper than the ones made by the plastic pedals, but didn’t hurt any more, and a couple of months later I can’t tell the difference from the scars.

Janesy
    Free Member

what a bloody mess.

jonba
    Free Member

Have a look online for cycle speedway pedals. THey are completely flat with rounded edges but covered in grip tape. Might work

Otherwise, more not less grip is the answer. I’d ahve thought practicing tricks was the ideal time to pad up.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d ahve thought practicing tricks was the ideal time to pad up.

Have to agree with that. Maybe some new pads that are easier to put on. I’ve got 661 veggies that are easy to wear all day and take seconds to put on.

RobHilton
    Free Member

^^^ 😯 😯 😯 Horrific aracer!!

Never had you down as a self harmer; sure they’re not stigmata?

mamadirt
    Free Member

I’ve used Odyssey Twisted PC pedals now for a few years and find them fine in the wet, dry, mud, whatever – you need soft soled shoes for them to do the best job though. Sure they wear down after a while but at less than £20 a pair (and look at all the lovely colours 8) ) that’s not a major problem.

kayak23

what a bloody mess

I agree, those socks clearly have threads starting to work loose.

As for plastic pedals, I have some lovely Primo ones on my BMX and also on my fixie. The pins are not too sharp but they are plenty grippy. Do 5:10 do junior sizes?…

VanHalen

what tricks is he doing? alot of bmxers run plastic pedals.

you dont need lots of grip if you are doing jumps/riding park or street etc.

you do if you are battering down a hill over roots/rocks. and then only to a point.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve used Odyssey Twisted PC pedals now for a few years

Those are what I have on the unis – used by a lot of uni riders. Given that if your feet slip when riding a uni you tend to fall off, grip is quite an important thing. You can get them for ~£12 if you shop around.

Self abuse from practicing jumpy stuff on a unicycle. I now have shin pads.

sparkyrhino

I’ve still got scars on my shins from beartrap pedals on my silverfox bmx , nearly 26 years ago.

meehaja
    Free Member

oddessy shark bites are the answer. Maybe.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Been running twisted Pc’s for a few years now.Light,tough and cheap as chips.Whats not to like?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Plastic pedals’ is closed to new replies.