Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Plastering question. Skiming lime ceiling
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Fitting a small kitchen and the ceiling is a bit rough. Lath and lime. I was going to put a skimming of gypsum but decided it was probably not the best idea as I’m thinking the lime will not be able to breath and maybe an increased chance of it blowing. Or am I wrong?

I have a very limited knowledge of lime and no knowledge of lime plastering. I’ve gypsum plastered small walls and ceilings before but never touched lime.

What mix? I know I don’t want hydrated lime, I guess would want some hydraulic lime, then what mix for plastering?

Do I have to seal the old lime? or just wet it to stop it sucking.

Does it take on a plastseamy texture like gypsum when its a good time to work it?

Anything else I should know?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Why not just over board it and solve all the problems?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

either tear it down … which is a horrid job…. or plaster board over it

My old man would board it without a momments hesitation

thekingisdead
    Free Member

My old man would board it without a momments hesitation

I think most plasterers would board & skim it without a moments hesitation too!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bloody good point. I got fixated with skimming for some reason. I’d rather rip down than board over as its a low ceiling and the house is empty at the moment so mess doesn’t matter.

bear-uk
    Free Member

And it will make a mess. Just rip into it with a shovel, easiest way to get rid of all the nails.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Plastering question. Skiming lime ceiling’ is closed to new replies.