Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Plastering a ceiling
  • SaxonRider

So we are doing the entire upstairs, and have had new ceilings put in every room but one.

For various reasons, this remaining room is being done separate to the others, and over the last few days we have had a number of different quotes.

Apparently, the whole thing needs to come down, and, seeing as it is currently a ‘plaster and lath’ ceiling, it will be messy as ____. As a result, the quotes coming in have been in the £650 range (the room is 2.6m x 3.5m), and the plasterers have been making a really big deal out of how much of a pain it will be to do.

But late this afternoon, a guy came in, took one look, and said he would just identify where the joists are, and screw new plasterboard over the old ceiling, and plaster over, for a total of £180.

Is this too good to be true? Does the technique work? Or is this a cowboy builder trying to make a few quid off the unsuspecting?

Simon

We did our hall way using that method and it still looks fine 6 or 7 years later.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

that’s exactly what I’d do. the mess from old lathe and plaster ceilings is biblical. no matter how good you seal everywhere up, the house week be covered in a very fine layer of dust and soot for days

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

just done my hall with overboarding.

Its not “right” but whos gonna know ? you me and the plasterer ?

long term what will the consequences be …. FACK ALL

Just make sure he screws into something solid – we used the joists behind the plaster – once we found the centres.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Overboard! Did it in both my lounge and dining room. And apparently I’m “in the trade”

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i do lots of work in old houses, overboard every day of the week. get him a big box of drywall screws and shove loads in. just to be sure.
    as above you really wouldnt believe the dirt that comes from taking down lath ceilings.

globalti
    Free Member

Extra soundproofing and insulation, what’s not to like?

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, overboard it. No brainer really. As other have said, just make sure he gets lots of screws into the woodwork.

althepal

A lot of my old ceilings fell in before I had the chance to overboard.. luckilly the place had been stripped out anyway but I can still remember blowing grey boogers out my nose for days afterwards despite wearing a fek off dustmask during the cleanup.
    If the rooms have the height and the guy makes sure the boards are screwed up properly then aye, go for it..
    Better yet, if you can work a screwdriver and a stanley knife do it yourself! (Sturdy ladder and help needed probably- its a killer doing it on your own!)

tymbian
    Free Member

Defo overboard it. He’s probably the most honest/ experienced bloke that has come to quote. Just make sure he finds the joists/ rafters and doesn’t screw into the laths.

footflaps

I just had all my walls and ceiling skimmed over – saved a fortune and the finish is perfect. I did take one lathe wall down, never again, such a huge mess….

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

your adding more weight/load onto the joists. deflection could result.

BigJohn

It’s Underboarding, surely?

But it’s the right way to go, for sure.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And therefore ^^^ never stand in one place for too long when upstairs 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

and most certainly get the xmas decoration out of the attic.

it weighs naff all and is spread out over several joists if the job is done right. – even insulated board i used on the cheeks of my dormers where i cant insulate weighs sod all*

* it all weighs loads when you are holding it above your head waiting on ya mate screwing the screws in

globalti
    Free Member

Plasterboard is the perfect evenly spread load, it’s not like it’s all hanging from one point in the middle of the span.

wwaswas

it’s not like it’s all hanging from one point in the middle of the span.

So I shouldn’t have just used one *really* big screw in the middle of each 8×4 board then?

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Another ‘in the trade’ here, ‘over boarding’ is a no brainer, as long as you pick up the joists and not the lath.

If I was restoring an old castle or stately home then I can understand why some might want to go back to how it was ‘originally’ done. Do you live in a castle or stately home 😆

dannybgoode

Overboarding for us. 1890’s house and the amount of crap taking the old ceilings down would have generated just wasn’t worth it.

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Plastering a ceiling’ is closed to new replies.