Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plans for wooden house wanted.
  • I live in a wooden bungalow, if you’ve ridden round the Wyre Forest you may have seen the type of thing.
    It needs some major repairs. Ideally, I’d like to buy a custom built log cabin kit and replace it.
    There may be complications with planning permission as that would be classed as a new build, which I’ve been told is not allowed.
    I may end up having to “repair” it bit by bit, even if I gradually replace or repair every piece of timber in it until there is none of the original left.

So, if that’s what I have to do, I could do with some detailed drawings.
    I don’t need a plan for the whole building, I can work out the dimensions myself, I just want the details for where the timber walls meet the brick pillars, where the roof meets the walls and so on.
    Is there an industry standard for these sort of details somewhere that I can get hold of ?
    Can I get the specifications for timber dimensions for rafters, purlins and joists for a particular span ?

aP
    Free Member

There are standard details, but it depends upon the construction and build up of the cabin. Bit more info needed really.
    You’re not in a Bewdley Shack are you?

midlifecrashes

It’s for USA really but http://www.freegreen.com has some downloadable plans and most paid. Might be worth a look. Alternatively the county archive here hold our house plan from 1901, yours might be stored somewhere.

Yes, do you know them then ?
    At the moment it’s a 4×2 framework with shiplap sitting on brick pillars, just a big shed really.
    I want to build something a bit more substantial and better insulated.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are you sure you want to build a house made of wood ?

If someone knocks on your door and says, “Little pig, little pig, let me come in”

Whatever you do don’t let them in. Just reply, “No, no, by the hair on my chiny chin chin”

If he answers, “Then I’ll huff, and I’ll puff, and I’ll blow your house in” then you’re ****ed.

Oh, I hadn’t thought of that.
    Maybe gingerbread would be a better option.

midlifecrashes

Trip to the NEC next weekend, the self build show is on, plenty of folk flogging books and dvds of plans and look at the latest insulated wall panel stuff etc?

http://www.homebuildingshow.co.uk/

bedmaker

sounds like you need someone to drop a fag butt on the sofa before you go out for the evening 🙂

That self build show looks interesting.
    I suspect it will be full of companies trying to sell the latest composite recycled materials technologies, when all I want is details of how to fix the soffit where the rafters meet the wall plate using good old fashioned timber and screws.
    The NEC’s not too far away though, so it might be worth a day out anyway if there’s a chance of picking up some useful information.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Plans for wooden house wanted.’ is closed to new replies.