Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Planning off road gpx routes online – what app do you use?
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

I’ve been making GPX/TCX files using the usual RWGPS, Bikely, Strava etc for road routes for years but am now trying to plan some off road routes utilising green lanes and dotted lines and am struggling.

Does anyone have any tips or know of a program I can use that will draw a line between two points defaulting to off road rather than road?

Sorry if this is a silly question or if I’ve missed a tick-box somewhere that would enable me to do this..

Cheers

votchy
    Free Member

bikehike.co.uk

wilko1999
    Free Member

I always use ridewithgps (I assume that’s your RWGPS above). You just need to tick the ‘Draw Lines’ box instead of the ‘Follow Roads’ box when in the route planner.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

I use Garmin Basecamp

Rubber_Buccaneer

RWGPS or bikehike are both fine. I used to use bikeroutetoaster but it became a bit flaky and I’m not sure of it’s current state

djglover
    Free Member

walkhighlands lets you plan on OS 1:25,000 then export GPS as long as you join. Doesnt follow anything though

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bikehike
    Garmin Basecamp

whitestone
    Free Member

Bikehike
    mapmyride

rossburton
    Free Member

ridewithgps with appropriate button fiddling with happily route along footpaths and byways, there’s a “route for walking” button.

antigee

as above ridewithgps – if not used for a while has more choice of maps eg osm bike and can toggle satellite to see if no road connection there are paths (assuming no trees) i recently went back to it and was surprised by the improvements

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bikehike, it’s simple and straightforward. justgoride looks good if you want more than just a simple course creator, in so much as it has OS mapping if that’s a primary requirement.

medoramas
    Free Member

ViewRanger – on the phone or PC, both options are very good!

nedrapier

Bikehike and Garmin Basecamp

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve got an OS maps subscription that allows gpx mapping at 1:25000 level

These get exported (badly / slowly) to ViewRanger using Dropbox

I’m relatively new to all this tho so I’m probably double or triple doing stuff

mikertroid
    Free Member

bikehike

ianfitz
    Free Member

Bikehike lilies you to use os, google maps and satellite images. I’ve found it helpful in planning very accurate routes on instinct paths before. It’ll ‘auto-draw’ any track or road that is route able on google maps too.

njee20
    Free Member

Bikehike

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Planning off road gpx routes online – what app do you use?’ is closed to new replies.