Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Planning a trans wales trip via Sarn Helen – any good tips?
  • sleigh62
    Free Member

A small group of us are thinking of doing a trans wales type trip via the Sarn Helen trail … over 3-4 days in summer.

I’ve found quite a bit of info on line but wondered if anyone had a route that was particularly good as there seems to be a few different variations.

Which way is best … north to south or south to north?

Also … which way takes in the best singletrack and scenery?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Steve

singletracksurfer

This is awesome
    http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Welsh-Coast-2-Coast.html

Lots of superb techy riding.
    North to south works best.

sleigh62
    Free Member

thanks … I’ve heard that the organised event is really good but some of my mates can’t get that amount of time off … so hoping to do a long weekend job … Friday to Monday.

singletracksurfer

Sarn helen would be a good/better call then as it’s haaard work in 4 days. Some guy does Sarn helen through CTC which there was an article in Singletrack mag last year. He’s happy to send the GPS of the route he does I believe.

Yes there are a few options but n to s is best for all/most I believe.

7 deadly spins guys have a route for their 24hr attempts which should suit normal human beings for 3-4 days riding.

ononeorange

Post up pics and a write up whatever you do! Quite fancy doing it myself.

Ambrose

Google Dave Buchanan or Matt Page. Awesome feats!

drovercycles
    Free Member

Sarn Helen (the actual, “official” route not the one used for a couple of recent 24-hour attempts) would be seriously hard over 3-4 days. Obviously I know nothing about your level, OP, but I’d suggest that the vast majority of people would do well to get half-way in that time. It’s nearly 300 miles with lots of climbing.

We’re offering it over either 7 or 10 days which will work well with most people. Doing it over 5 would be a serious physical challenge for the vast majority.

If you’re a Matt Page or Dave Buchanan, on the other hand, it’ll be absolutely fine!

monksie
    Free Member

This is the sometimes frustrating thing that I find with Sarn Helen. There are so many variations of the route. The actual Roman Road itself (I believe) is largely disputed and often has dual carriageways following it.
    The variation I’ve done twice has it’s fair share of B roads but is mostly off road and my best is 3 and a bit days (nearly 4 days to be honest).
    I’m doing it again in July this year but I’m going to do some research on a different to my previous route.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Hmm by the sound of it 3-4 days might be pushing it but I was taking my info from a post I saw on cyclistno1.co.uk … 4 friends did it over 4 days. We’ve done a few long distance day rides. Hearts 1st southwest randonee and South downs way … So used to 12hr riding days … But I suppose this is 4 in a row!

Thanks for the advice though … If we do manage it, I’ll post up a report …

monksie
    Free Member

I have to be honest, whilst I’m loathe to critiscise the person running a business that includes a Sarn Helen route, 10 days is hugely excessive, surely? Whichever variation.
    4 days is doable and still challenging. 5 days with margin for picnics.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Thanks everyone … monksie, do you have either one of your previous routes that I could take a look at please?

I think we’ll probably do North to South but any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Planning a trans wales trip via Sarn Helen – any good tips?’ is closed to new replies.