• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cjr61.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Planning a slow cooker pulled pork for the extended family….any recipes?
  • cjr61

Morning,

Planning a family friendly (5 year olds and up!) easter Sunday lunch of pulled pork. Any secretly awesome recipes? Will check some ‘Slaw on the side too if anyone has any suggestions for accompaniments 😀

Cheers

Chris

tinybits
    Free Member

One tip I had with pulled pork is to cook not in a slow cooker, but in the oven wrapped in a foil topped waterbath (full of amazing flavors of course!). After 5+ hours on very low heat, take the foil off, drain the water and crank up the heat for the most amazing crackling as well.

Last did it on xmas eve a couple of years ago – damn it was good!

johndoh
    Free Member

I am doing this one on Saturday night

Last night I batched-cooked a pulled pork chilli – slow cooked the joint in apple juice, chilli powder, paprika, salt & pepper for 10 hours then pulled it and added to normal chilli recipe ingredients. Served with chips, tortilla wraps and Red’s Sauces

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Pour off any sauce / juices, then reduce in a pan, then mix back in once it’s thick/concentrated.

Oh and don’t call it Slaw, even with an apostrophe it’s highly inappropriate. Coleslaw or nothing. When I am king, the “Slaw” users will be first against the wall 😉

Nico
    Free Member

“‘slaw”? “flavors”? Yee-haw. Extra-sized portions all round. I assume you’ll be tailgating y’all?

Nico
    Free Member

Oh and don’t call it Slaw, even with an apostrophe it’s highly inappropriate. Coleslaw or nothing. When I am king, the “Slaw” users will be first against the wall

You do realise that it is a word of German origin and the cole bit is just German for cabbage. The OP is probably using kale or some other brassica, but prefers not to admit it. Way to stop language evolving, dude.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

You do realise that it is a word of German origin and the cole bit is just German for cabbage. The OP is probably using kale or some other brassica, but prefers not to admit it. Way to stop language evolving, dude.

Line him up against the wall 😉

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I do it in the cooker on a very low heat cooked all day. Season / flavour with Soy and five spice

I cook the crackling separately

cjr61

Thanks all

Haha….I love how this has reduced to an English Language discussion!

Thinking about dinner now:

russianbob
    Free Member

Check out the Fabulous Baker Brothers 9 hour pulled pork recipe and their pitta bread too. Best ‘slaw recipes I’ve used are in the Pitt Cue book.

Pork – http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-fabulous-baker-brothers/articles/all/pulled-pork-recipe/1847

Pitta – http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-fabulous-baker-brothers/articles/all/pitta-bread-recipe/1846

Gary_M
    Free Member

I always do pulled pork in the slow clloker

Mix of various spices, paprika, etc, liquid smoke, dehydrated chilli’s, beef stock

cjr61

Thanks RussianBob…..Think the bottle of IPA in the FBB recipe might have won the day!

bakey

I’m so amazed why pulled pork has taken so long to become almost ubiquitous. I don’t recall ever seeing it before 7 or 8 years ago or when I was a kid.

I slow roast in an oven in a self braising pot – 5-8 hours depending on size, small bottle of cider and spices to taste. I do the crackling separately.

I predict the next UK ‘big thing’ will be proper corned/salt beef…

drlex
    Free Member

+1 to the Baker Bros recipe that RussianBob has linked. Is fulepruf!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I recently tried Ottolenghi’s recipe
    Pork
    it was heavenly

Failing which I normally soak the joint in a mixture of brine/sugar/bay leaves/juniper berries and cloves for 12 hrs

Remove and pat dry and the dry rub and let it sit for another 6 hrs before it goes into the oven

Oven temperature is key – a dash of apple cider or dry wine in the bottom of the dish and then cover tightly with foil and let is slow cook for abt 6 to 8 hrs at 100degC

captmorgan
    Free Member

Sous vide, 26 hours and then a couple more in the oven to get the bark on the outside.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/food-lab-complete-guide-smoky-sous-vide-pork-shoulder.html

Add to your fav BBQ sauce recipe.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pork joint, remove the skin/fat for making cracking. Leave just enough fat to help the flavour (there’s a lot of salt and sugar in it, so no point being too healthy!)

Cider (pint or so)

Soft dark sugar, or mollasses (a big heaped tablespoon)

Chiopotle chillis

Normal chilli’s

Bay leaves

Sage and/or rosemary

Pork stock cube

Salt

Cook in a slow cooker until the top is carbonized and you struggle to get it out even with a sieve.

Pour the juices into a pan and boil/stir until it’s the consistency of ketchup or as thick as it goes without burning (stir continuously as there’s a lot of sugar in there).

Mix shredded meat and sauce back together and tweek the seasoning (chili sauce or tomato pure can also tweek the flavour at this point if you didn’t get it right to begin with)

johndoh
    Free Member

When it comes to slow-cooking, I always err on the side of longer is better – I have slow-cooked a joint all day before and found it is still a little tough. That’s fine if it then goes in a pan to cook up at a higher temperature as a chilli, but trying to eat it straight away can be a bit of a lottery.

The best one I ever did was put in on the evening of Christmas Day and served it around 3pm on Boxing Day.

cjr61

Some great options, thanks all.

Think I’ll err away from the chillis as the kids might not be too impressed!

Yum

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Planning a slow cooker pulled pork for the extended family….any recipes?’ is closed to new replies.