• This topic has 52 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brant.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Planet X XLS Shimano 105 Cyclocross Bike
  • Caher

New Boardman CX is out – could give the Planet X at 899 a run for its money?
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html

Jamie
    Free Member

New Boardman CX is out – could give the Planet X at 899 a run for its money?
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2014-boardman-cxs

mrblobby
    Free Member

For 899 that is very tempting. I’d actually rather see one more model up the range (or maybe an elite series model) with better spec for a bit more cash. What do people think of the Apex stuff? I’ve had a quick play with the shifters and I didn’t like them much but then I’m use to Shimano ones.

grum
    Free Member

For a ‘do it all’ bike would you not want to be able to put a rack on it? Or are we talkin a different kind of ‘do it all’.

Does look ace for the money though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

For a ‘do it all’ bike would you not want to be able to put a rack on it? Or are we talkin a different kind of ‘do it all’.

The boardman? It’s got rack mounts.

grum
    Free Member

I was talking about the Planet X. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone got one yet? Seems to come out quite heavy on the spec sheet. Weighty wheels?

lazyboy43
    Free Member

I have had my CX pro XLS for just over year now and I absolutely love it. I had it custom built from the frame and fork up with iron cross wheels and originally 105 10speed with cx70 cranks, flat bar shifters and Xt hydro brakes. A few months back I changed to a compact 105 crankset now that my legs have built up the strength for it and it now goes like a shower of s#$t off a blanket.
    I only use it as a commuter and weekend ride bike but it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.
    For what it cost me I can’t find a bike for less than double what I paid with a similar quality of spec or weight.
    The only thing I can suggest watching for is the toe overlap with the front wheel. Check your frame size if you have big feet as it will be a problem. I am 5″9 with size 9 feet on a 54cm frame and it is a bit of pain in the arse but not very often and does nothing to diminish my enjoyment of riding it.

bearnecessities

Odd first post!

Jamie
    Free Member

Not really. OP probably came across the thread via Google, and didn’t realise it was a 8 month old thread.

….possibly.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Ooh I do like a good thread resurrection! Fwiw he’s bang on…great bike, super fast, not sure about the spec 105 gear ratio but it’s something I can live with. Do need more power up loose steep climbs compared to old cx – find my weight has to be positioned more over back wheel for traction, but that’s an inevitability due to its weight. The wheel/toe thing I’ve had on pretty much every cx bike I’ve ridden (size 10/57)

lazyboy43
    Free Member

Yeah you are right, I do realise its an old post but I am still trying to find a better bike than this for the money.
    One thing I did forget to mention is the BB. If you want to run shimano cranks without a BB adapter for the 24mm shaft. Raceface make a PF30 BB for 24mm shafts ie shimano. Or you can use creaky old adapters.
    Or you can use SRAM

brant
    Free Member

New frames are BSA threaded. Original batch were PF 30.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Planet X XLS Shimano 105 Cyclocross Bike’ is closed to new replies.