Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Planet X RT-58 – Am I being thick?
  • kevin1911

I received an email from Planet X at the weekend talking about super big discounts. So I had a look, not expecting much, but found they were selling RT-58’s with Ultegra 11-sp, FSA cranks and Campag Khamsin wheels for £799 (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ULT6800/planet-x-rt-58-ultegra-6800-road-bike). I ordered one there and then and have been congratulating myself since then for scooping a bargain. I then got an email today saying they’re now doing a super deal on the RT-58 with Tiagra for….£799. Looking at the detail, the Tiagra model says it has a ‘Carbon’ frame, wheras the Ultegra model talks about a ‘Composite’ frame.

I just want to check – there’s not 2 different carbon versions of this frame is there? I know the price for the Ultegra has gone up to £899 now, but still – it seems a bit too good to be true.

Have I missed something really obvious? Am I going to take delivery of a frankenbike?

igm

There are two frames I think – ali and carbon

The £799 Ultegra one has a “Full Toray carbon fibre frame and fork” – and it should still be £799 until Sunday in the email – but not on the website.

I think you’re safe. It’s just Planet X pricing.

liam1974

No they are both the same frame, just different component’s. A bargain at that price.

kevin1911

Thanks for the re-assurance.

I do wonder how they can operate like that though. It almost seems like they have frequent cash flow problems and just need to dump stock to generate cash quickly.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Mine arrived yesterday – first proper road bike and very pleased with it. 🙂 As stated above, it is a full carbon frame and fork. There is also an ally framed version for less.

deviant
    Free Member

Being harsh you could argue they are generic Far East frames, massively discounted group buys on the components and then often their own brand wheels too, no dealer network, reps etc etc….I’m sure they’re still making a profit at £799 don’t worry!

kevin1911

Hamish – were you expecting it to arrive so quickly? Mine showed as being on pre-order until new stock arrives on March 23rd.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yeah – I bought mine before the initial stock had run out so before the 23rd date was cropping up.

@ deviant – I couldn’t agree more, I’m sure they’re making good money but the bike does what I want it to, at a good price. Wheels are pretty heavy though – and not own brand…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Planet X RT-58 – Am I being thick?’ is closed to new replies.