Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Planet X Pro Carbon 105 Groupset
  • johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Interested to hear opinions on the Planet X. Seems a killer deal. I don’t do too much on the road, a couple of rides a month plus a few commutes on quiet lanes to give you an idea of the use it will get.
    Existing bike is a CAAD 8 Tiagra which is 4 years old so was looking at the Planet X as a replacement. Can’t see the point of stretching much more above the 105 groupset for the use it has but wanted something a bit nicer than the tiagra on my existing bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d just get some nice wheels and a new groupset for the CAAD 8.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Had thought about that but on a C2W scheme I could get the PX for less than 500 quid, a groupset and wheels would be the same. I do take your point tho, the CAAD 8 is nice. The rear wheel is now nfg which is why I’m looking at options on replacing with a cheapie wheel and offloading for the PX or upgrading for better wheels on the Cannondale for a starter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

But the PX, swap the parts over, sell the frame 🙂

sc-xc

How much is the PX? Mine was about a grand, which would probably work out to about £650 on c2w?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The 105 version is £799.

Just be aware its “only” 10 speed 5700 105, not the latest 5800 11 speed.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

5700 or 5800 means very little to me. 10 speed is still an upgrade to my current 9 speed as well, The general quality of 105 compared to Tiagra is what appeals. Wouldn’t want to go for the Ultegra at an increase of another 400 squids.
    As for buying the bike and fetching off the bits for an upgrade then flogging the frame is a nice idea but I would imagine that it would be a bit dodgy on a bike still “owned” by my employer.
    For me the sums add up….799 purchase, 480 after tax savings, less what I’d get for my current bike on fleabay, say around 300ish makes a cost of 180 squids over 12 interest free payments. The employer is very flexible and there isn’t any issue with extending the lease of the bike so that it runs out to a “negligible” value over the 4 years.
    So, anyone ever had any issues with a PX…in particular the frame?

kahunajb
    Free Member

Last I enquired planet x wanted an extra £100 on a £1k bike for going through the c2w scheme.

Ps. There isn’t a massive different in performance between tiagra and 105 imo. (5700 don’t know about 5800)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, so number of gears isn’t necessarily an upgrade in itself, but 5800 11speed 105 is much closer to Ultegra than ever 5700 was. 5700 was more akin to Tiagra in my mind.

Why have you chosen the Planet-X? Not knocking PX but the CAAD8 frame is probably a better frame? And there are probably other 105 groupset bikes with more modern frames for sub £1k

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pro Carbon with Dura Ace, but I’ve also got another bike with 5700 105, so I’m as qualified as any to make a comment.

The Pro Carbon frame/fork isn’t the most comfortable around, but it’s a decent enough ride for the money, and certainly goes quick enough.

The 5700 105 is brilliant for the money. Mine’s been on a commuting/winter bike since 2011 any apart from needing a new chain and cassette, I haven’t killed it yet.

Ignore the number of gears, it’s mostly just willy waving.

Planet-X wheels are shit, mind you.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

The main reason for looking at this was the cost. Whilst I could still get a few quid for mine it would be a cheap way to “upgrade”. There’s also the “shiny new bike” syndrome that is playing a part.
    Granted a better quality alu frame would be on a par with the carbon the groupset and wheels on mine are the weak link….specifically the rear freehub at this moment in time…bost.
    I bought the CAAD 8 in the Leisure Lakes sale for a bargain price but had to plumb for the triple, not my first choice. The other issue is that I am on the cusp of it being a bit big being a 54″ and I am 5’9″, ok on the sizing chart but Cannondales do tend to size on the larger end of the scale. I can’t help thinking that the 51″ would have been better.
    Trying to dream up other “feeble” excuses to buy a new bike…………

mtbtomo
    Free Member

When I looked at Planet-X a while back, I just couldn’t figure out what size to go for. Their small/medium/large didn’t seem to equate to any small/medium/large of the bigger brands. In the end I didn’t get one but not cos of the sizing.

On the flip side to bensales comment about Planet-X wheels, I’ve had a lot of use out of my Model B/Al30 wheels with no problems.

Planet-x indeed charged me another £100 for cyclescheme when I used them a few years ago now.

jeffl

They only charge extra if you use vouchers or what have you. My company just paid the invoice directly so I didn’t get charged the “amin fee”.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The other issue is that I am on the cusp of it being a bit big being a 54″ and I am 5’9″, ok on the sizing chart but Cannondales do tend to size on the larger end of the scale. I can’t help thinking that the 51″ would have been better.

a 54 cannondale has a 52 seat tube and a 54.5 top tube so should be pretty bang on for 5’9″. Theyre quite old skool and conservative in design and dont have a super compact/dropped top tube so look bigger. I’m 5’10 and ride a ~55 top tube, which has meant a 54 Orbea, a 55 Bianchi and a 52 Lapierre. I keep “tyre kicking” the Supersixes at Pauls Cycles and it’d be a 54.

mrblobby
    Free Member

9 speed Tiagra is actually rather good compared to 5700 105. I reckon the shifting is better with the side exit levers on Tiagra. They’ve apparently improved it a lot for the latest 105.

stever
    Free Member

That PX is stunning value, sure you wouldn’t be disappointed

chunkypaul
    Free Member

its good value, but not stunning IMO

a cheap as chips frame and fork, bobbins wheelset and an old groupset (soon to dive in value as soon as the new 105 5800 floods the market)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would concur. Not even sure it’d actually be a step up from CAAD8 with Tiagra.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Try mine then buy one so I can forever rip the piss forever. End of.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Lol at Chalkstorm.

Having to eat my words about “cheap carbon frames” isn’t helping my choice.

Every time I read through the replies I come to a different conclusion, guessing there is very little between the 2…..especially on the Stile Cop road climb;)

If the CAAD 8 stays it will get a better set of wheels……could start a thread on best budget wheelset under £200.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Rode my 5800 equipped bike today and if refreshed my memory somewhat….I don’t particularly like Tiagra because it just seems artificially light in touch but also a bit plasticky. 5800 has a similar light touch but felt more precise and better quality.

Both lighter than 5700 and 6700 on my other bikes, but I still like those shifters. Gear shifters aren’t exactly hard to use nowadays are they??! 😉

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Did I say “forever”?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tiagra because it just seems artificially light in touch but also a bit plasticky.

I have Tiagra and 6700, previously had 5700 and have just installed 5800 to g/f’s summer bike. Never thought 6700 was any better than 5700 other than having sexy carbon lever blades, totally agree on the Tiagra feeling flimsy and plasticky and imprecise (even if it shifts well it feels less certain).

we havent ridden 5800 yet but from

http://road.cc/content/review/133585-shimano-105-5800-11-speed-groupset

There we have it then. As a Campagnolo fan it pains me to say it but the new Shimano 105 is the best all round groupset money can buy.
    Verdict
    Performance, value, durability – for once you can have all three; quite simply a brilliant groupset

The P-X is excellent value, but that’s because its an obsolete groupset on a long-in-the-tooth bottom-of-the-range frame. Doesnt necessarily mean either the groupset or frame are bad, I’m a big fan of buying last-years-model cheap; my summer P+J is a Lapierre that retailed the year before for £2200 and I paid £1300…

stever
    Free Member

Tough crowd. I’m not sure the groupset is about to stop working anytime soon – I’ve heard of built-in obsolescence but don’t think they’ve refined it that far. ‘Old’ 105 works just fine, as do the frame and fork. If you’re sticking with what you’ve got I’d be tempted to get better than a 200 quid wheelset for a decent upgrade. But you still have a bike with a triple in a size you’re not sure of. Anyways, it either appeals or doesn’t. Suspect 800 quid gets you a lot less from Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Suspect 800 quid gets you a lot less from Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc.

Still under a grand, as an example, Giant Defy 0 2015 for 999. A really nice alu frame, mix of the latest 105 and Ultegra 11 speed, and a pretty good wheelset.

If you’re racing there’s loads of other options, but if you just want a road bike for putting in the training miles then that’s probably what I’d go for at that price point.

TiRed

I think you’ve decided on a “new bike”. Problem is, you are starting from an already very good bike that came with genuinely rubbish wheels. Forget number of gears, the wheels on the CAAD8 have always been a weak spot and need replacing.

Upgrade to a set of Ksyrium Elites and the bike will be transformed (and half a kilo lighter). Upgrade to a carbon seatpost and bars, and again the feel will be transformed. Upgrade to 11 speed 105 and it may shift and brake a little bit better. You may not like the feel of the hoods on the shifters as much.

You have to raise your budget quite a bit to make significant improvements. The CAAD8 frame is that good (OK it’s welds are rough, but the tubing and geometry are spot on.).

As for fit, try a 90 mm stem instead of the stock 100 mm. You are the same height as Teen1, and I steal borrow his 54 CAAD8 (with 90 mm stem) and swap to a longer stem for my own use. I also swap to a carbon seatpost with my preferred saddle.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Whatabout a new CAAd8 105 in the “correct” size? The wheels are probably still naff, but the frame and the groupset will be good. Then spend what you get for the old CAAD on some new wheels. Sorted!

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Now that makes sense!

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies! After careful deliberation I’m keeping my old bike and upgrading the wheels. The bike is the correct size but doesn’t follow the current trend of low top tube, lots of Seatpost. If I dropped down a size I know I’d struggle with cramped reach.
    The Tiagra groupset is something I’ll upgrade as and when things wear. I do find it a bit plasticy but I’ll put up with that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good decision I reckon. Frame ripe for new wheels and group.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-shimano-dura-ace-road-wheels-250-posted

not me selling BTW, will drop a shedload of weight and transform your bike.

snownrock

Try the Campagnolo road wheels, the Khamsin and Vento are very well priced, reasonably light and have cartridge (not C&C hubs). Plus they come with Shimano/SRAM hubs too.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Try the Campagnolo road wheels, the Khamsin and Vento are very well price

or Fulcrum, which are the same company and essentially the same wheels. T’other half just got some Racing Quattros, which are the same as Campag Scirocco 35s but with a conventional rather than a gimmicky/novel spoke pattern.

duckers
    Free Member
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Pro Carbon 105 Groupset’ is closed to new replies.